Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 7:49:33 PM EDT
Is it legal to own an AR barrel shorter than 16" and a non-SBR AR at the same time? Or is it show "intent" like owning full auto parts and the rifle at the same time?

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You can own legal length AR, and if you have  an approved Form 1, an SBR as well. Where you run into trouble is:
1) Having a short upper W/O ATF approval, when you already own an AR.
2) Having more than one short upper for an ATF registered lower reciever that goes with your short upper.
One upper per lower is OK, as long as everything is by the book, just dont have any extra short uppers that dont have an ATF approved lower to mount on...

Doing so can be considered intent to manufacture...John
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
2) Having more than one short upper for an ATF registered lower reciever that goes with your short upper
View Quote

I thought you could have as many short or full-length uppers as you wanted for your registered lower so long as it was your only lower?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe someone can shed some light on this, it is my understanding that in Box 4, Part D, ATF asks for bbl length, and total length, and does not have a space or ask for multiple lengths, or multiple calibers. I am looking at mine right now as this is my winter project. I could be off base though..
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What if Ive got a muzzle device that I intend to permanently attach that will bring total length to over 16"?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If permanentley fixed and over 16" you are good to go...John
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top