Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/16/2003 7:02:56 PM EDT
Hello, Im getting a new colt m4, I was wondering what peoples opinions of it is. Also is it true that the post ban guns have a sear block that can never be removed so it can never be made full auto?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:11:39 PM EDT
Even some pre-bans have the sear block. No biggie. If you want an unblocked lower, get a Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, Armalite, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:25:29 PM EDT
I just bought a Colt 6400c M4 carbine and so far have enjoyed it a lot. As far as the sear block goes the 6400c does not have a protruding sear block like my two preban Colts do. Someone here said that what Colt has done with the 6400c is still considered a sear block, but some others have said it isn't. I'll post a pic of the lower and you can judge for yourself: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Colt_Lower_copy.JPG[/img] Some other pics: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ace2.JPG[/img] [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Hbar_m4.jpg[/img] [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Lower.JPG[/img] My round count so far is still very low with this carbine (just under 1000) but as expected I have had zero failures.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:13:33 AM EDT
I see they got rid of the front screw (take-down pin) on yours, or was it pre-drilled (as some are) and you added it later?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:51:50 AM EDT
Hey CJAN, Is that stock legal, it looks shorter than a pinned m4 stock? Ive seen those for sale in two different lengths what length is your, I wouldn't mind one of those. As far as the sear block I'll have to stick with the colt, I just don't trust the quality of other brands, I mean the other brands look nice, but how can they be 300+ cheaper there must be some quality differences?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:54:32 AM EDT
The Name.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:08:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MurdochsM4: Hey CJAN, Is that stock legal, it looks shorter than a pinned m4 stock? Ive seen those for sale in two different lengths what length is your, I wouldn't mind one of those. As far as the sear block I'll have to stick with the colt, I just don't trust the quality of other brands, I mean the other brands look nice, but how can they be 300+ cheaper there must be some quality differences?
View Quote
Boy, you aren't kidding that you're new. I think many here would agree that the old Colt stuff (pre-ban) was top notch but after the ban they have had some issues with the quality of their products. I own a pre-ban Colt but would never buy a new one because of this. The reason you are paying more is because they can get away with charging you more for the Colt name. I would much rather have a Bushy, Armalite or Rock River before a new Colt. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:28:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MurdochsM4: Hey CJAN, Is that stock legal, it looks shorter than a pinned m4 stock? Ive seen those for sale in two different lengths what length is your, I wouldn't mind one of those.
View Quote
That's the LE Entry length: its a fixed stock so yes, it is legal. I have one this size on my 9mm Colt AR-- VERY NICE, light weight, strong.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:20:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 9:25:06 AM EDT by BUSTER51]
Hey I just got a colt MT6400c and the thing is beautiful it is as good as my preban sp1 and as far as price it cost me $867.00 new through my ffl .I have 2 bushmasters and 3 colts and 1 RRA colt is still KING
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:52:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 10:54:05 AM EDT by CJan_NH]
That stock is an Ace LE entry stock like Energizer said. It's just long enough to be legal. The front takedown pin came standard and I didn't have to touch it. As far as quality control goes I've owned Colts, a Bushy, a DPMS, an Olympic, and an RRA. As of now the only ARs I have are my three Colts-two preban A2 HBARs and this M4. The reasons I stuck with Colt over the years are highlighted nicely in [url=http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000497.html]this thread[/url] Of the non-Colts I've owned I had the fewest problems with RRA.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 11:24:30 AM EDT by DevL]
To the newbie, What exactly do you think will be "not up to snuff" on a non Colt? Just assuming something more expensive is better quality is a fools folly. In my experience nothing beats a Bushmaster and no you can never make a Colt full auto even if you have a legal drop in auto sear. Case in point: Bushmaster M4 4150 steel chrome lined 1/7 Colt M4 4150 steel chrome lined 1/7 Both barrels are exactly the same with the exception of the Colt feedramps which can be added to the Bushmaster. Both have equal accuracy and life. Both have the exact same spec. Colt is $400 and Bushmaster is $195. What you get on the Colt is a C MP instead of a B MP on the barrel and a feed ramp that cost $20 to have added. Colt does not support our 2nd ammendment rights. I have always viewed postban Colt owners as uneducated or snotty as the only thing they gain is the name (which to me means anti 2nd amendment)
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 12:22:32 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
Originally Posted By DevL: To the newbie, What exactly do you think will be "not up to snuff" on a non Colt? Just assuming something more expensive is better quality is a fools folly. In my experience nothing beats a Bushmaster and no you can never make a Colt full auto even if you have a legal drop in auto sear. Case in point: Bushmaster M4 4150 steel chrome lined 1/7 Colt M4 4150 steel chrome lined 1/7 Both barrels are exactly the same with the exception of the Colt feedramps which can be added to the Bushmaster. Both have equal accuracy and life. Both have the exact same spec. Colt is $400 and Bushmaster is $195. What you get on the Colt is a C MP instead of a B MP on the barrel and a feed ramp that cost $20 to have added. Colt does not support our 2nd ammendment rights. I have always viewed postban Colt owners as uneducated or snotty as the only thing they gain is the name (which to me means anti 2nd amendment)
View Quote
Was your question directed at me? Since you asked, my old XM15 went back to Bushmaster [b]THREE TIMES[/b] and still wasn't right before I gave up and sold it at a loss. Among the list of accolades for my "milspec" XM15: -Overtorqued and cockeyed barrel -Random unresolved FTF and FTE issues -Soft FCG parts that were wearing after only a few hundred rounds It seems that I'm not the only one who has had problems: [i]"Colt continues to be the most efficient of the AR's. Of the remainder, Bushmaster may be a distant second. When you get one that works, it runs great, but many don't. DPMS is very spotty, and we see things like bolts fracturing at the cam pin hole. Of the others, a good one may squeak through, but i'd be hard pressed to see a pattern."[/i] -Pat Rogers [i]"My associates literally see hundreds of thousands of rounds go downrange through AR variants every year, and they are unanimous: the Colt rifles, with all their QC issues, are still hands down the most reliable of all the major manufacturers. Without getting into a pissing contest, Bushmaster's parts, while mostly of good quality, comes from a variety of sources, and are of varying quality. I have seen Bushmaster hammers and triggers so soft the sear notch on the hammer had dug a notch into the trigger engagement surface after only several hundred rounds. "Milspec" is a word they like to toss around, but in reality they use aftermarket parts that are made to unknown specs by various vendors. The parts may all look the same, but they are not."[/i] -Tim Lau Etc etc etc... If your mind is open enough, read [url=http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000497.html]this thread[/url] and see for yourself. Something tells me that you won't though. It sounds like you'd rather wallow in your fanboyism. After that, go to the troubleshooting forum and take a look at the brand names. Don't piss on someone because they got fed up with fighting their second tier AR. You think I'm arrogant for wanting a gun that runs? Screw you. Enjoy your Bushmaster. If you've got one that runs as advertised I'm happy for you. I didn't, and consequently I'm quite happy that I went back to Colt. PS-If you see the names Pat Rogers, Tim Lau, and Ned Christiansen and don't recognize who they are, then quite frankly, the only newbie posting in this thread is you. Over and out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:08:35 PM EDT
CJAN-Iv'e seen those ACE LE's on ebay, it looks like they need a different spring and buffer than the m4 stock has, you must have bought the kit with spring and buffer huh? Where did you get yours, looks nice! BUSTER-How could you get an m4 at 867! I shopped around a lot before I put money down on mine and that seems like a deal. The cheapest Ive found is 975 and thats out of state, my local gunshops want 1200. Im buying the one for 975, its too late now, but out of curiosity is the FFL a friend of yours, thats gotta be at cost!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:32:41 PM EDT
LE sized stocks take the CAR sized buffers...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:47:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH: I just bought a Colt 6400c M4 carbine and so far have enjoyed it a lot. As far as the sear block goes the 6400c does not have a protruding sear block like my two preban Colts do. Someone here said that what Colt has done with the 6400c is still considered a sear block, but some others have said it isn't. I'll post a pic of the lower and you can judge for yourself:
View Quote
That is worse than a sear block, since it cannot be removed. That receiver cannot host a DIAS, or LL for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:19:39 PM EDT
Actually it can. It can be milled to fit a registered LL or Dias, but its definitely a sear block.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:24:38 PM EDT
Glad my Colt is an AR-15 Sporter II.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:15:01 PM EDT
OK, I just searched and found a few of those LE stocks on the net, however they all use 1" buttplates, making them look not so nice. CJAN you must have added that buttplate from the fullsize Ace stock huh? So is it legal being .5 to .75 inch shorter? I want one with that smaller buttplate, but I would prefer it to stay legal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 7:41:30 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
Originally Posted By MurdochsM4: CJAN-Iv'e seen those ACE LE's on ebay, it looks like they need a different spring and buffer than the m4 stock has, you must have bought the kit with spring and buffer huh? Where did you get yours, looks nice!
View Quote
I bought the Ace kit with the spring and buffer, but doing so wasn't necessary because the Colt 6400c uses the shortened CAR spring and buffer anyway. I ordered it that way so I would have an extra. The allen bolt that Colt uses in their stock (fixed) telestock goes all the way through the buffer tube. That's why they use the CAR spring and buffer. My Ace stock came with the 1/2" recoil pad as pictured. Just today I got a small order from Bushmaster.com that included a 1" recoil pad. I realized that the stock 1/2" pad made the LOP a hair too short for me-but the 1" pad seems perfect. I'll post a pic of the 1" pad shortly. I got the stock from Bushmaster.com. Bushmaster is very close to me so I order from them frequently because UPS ground shipping only takes one day to arrive. As far as dropping in a LL or a DIAS into this Colt goes, I have no plans to do it. If I wanted to venture into NFA I'd simply spend an extra $100 to build one around a new Rock River stripped lower anyway. If there is extra material in the Colt lower I'm actually happier about it-chances are it won't ever break if it's overbuilt. EDIT: Here is the Bushmaster link for my stock [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/skel-sh-stk.asp]Bushy link.[/url] As you can see it comes stock with a 1/2" recoil pad. It is perfectly legal in that configuration.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:12:13 PM EDT
Here are both recoil pads side by side: Stock 1/2" recoil pad: [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ace2.JPG[/img] Optional 1" recoil pad [img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ace_extended.JPG[/img] The longer pad seems to be less aesthetically pleasing than the shorter one, but it seems more functional-at least for me. I'll know more on Sunday when I hit the range. Your mileage may vary of course [:)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 9:47:09 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
I just read DevL's post again and it looks like he wasn't speaking to me specifically. My apology for responding like a shithead. I'm just tired of being accused of being an arrogant elitist for daring to prefer Colt over other brands. I tried to give Bushmaster a chance, but I was unlucky and got one that must have slipped past QC. I regret that it didn't work out, especially since Bushmaster is so close to me. They [b]always[/b] have spare parts in stock, and at decent prices. I buy from their webstore frequently-they even sell large pin Colt FCG parts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:06:22 AM EDT
DAMN...!!! i must be one of the most arrogant elitists on this forum...!! i have 14 Colt AR-15s....., ALL pre-ban...........!!! & one Bushie that has only malfunctioned with Wolf ammo........
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:24:52 AM EDT
Ok hers how to get a Colt MT6400C for $867.00+ freight find an FFL to do a transfer ,don't pay him more than $20.00 to do the paper work than get him to send a copy of his FFL to Simmons Gun Specielties 207 Spring Hill KS 60083- 1-800-444-0220 I found them years ago when I had my FFL they have hot prices .have them send it C.O.D give your money order or cashiers check to your FFL and your done.
Top Top