Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 5:26:49 PM EDT
Hello guys ! Im new to AR15.com and would like to say hello. I also have a question regarding a upcoming purchase. I have found a DPMS Lite 16" at a local gun shop and would like to know if its a decent rifle. The shop is going to sell it to me for 600.00 out the door. My main question, is this a good price for this specific rifle? How does this rifle compair to say a Oly arms Plinker or pcr-5? Any info would be helpfull. I can buy the rifle tomarrow or wait till Saturday and go to my local gun show here in Dayton Ohio. Im not sure if ill find a AR at the show for the price range i had in mind. All opinions are welcome and wanted.

Thanks,
   Robert
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Robert, I haven't a clue as to the value of the DPMS but - welcome to AR15.com; the finest board in all of gundom !!

(Someone here will know about the DPMS.)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
$600 out the door doesn't sound too bad. You can build one for about $550 so that's not bad at all being already put together with tax and all.  Personally I'd look for a standard 20" A2 for my first gun but the 16" isn't giving up too much compared to the 20".   Just be warned, once you get an AR and see all the parts and stuff that you can get/add on to it you'll be spending a butt load of money on you "baby".  It is a fun gun to play with, you can get a doz. different uppers and different stocks and use the same lower and make any kind of rifle you want out of an AR.  Hope this has been some help. Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
[beer] Welcome!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a bad price at all.  DPMS are decent rifles.  You won't have any problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a good price.  I'd go for it!

Oh yeah, almost forgot....

Welcome to the boards!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The 16"er is the fun gun ! Save the 20"ers for when you get old ! [naughty] OOOOT did I say that ? [peep]  Welcome aboard  [beer]

PS. Dissipator is the best !!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't make the same mistake I made with my first AR. Get the A3 removeable carry handle upper. I bought the A2 and soon discovered how much I hate cowitnessing with an Aimpoint & EO tech. Now i'm stuck with a limited potential A2 upper. Yeah i'm good with my iron sights, but now they are always in the way. Since my rear sight is set so far right, cowitnessing takes way too much time. As far as DPMS goes, I have never used one. Mine is a Bushy and now I have to either buy another carbine, or spend $500 on an equally configured A3 upper. DAMMIT!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the kind words and comments. I do wish i could afford to buy a A3 version but atm im strapped due to buying my HK USP .40 compact. I figured for the 600.00 there asking for the DPMS lite 16" I could always buy a new A3 flattop upper off EE or Ebay and install it myself. I think 600.00 for a reputible AR is pretty fair even if its not exactly what i want at the moment. Like one poster said, once i get one ill keep adding to it =) LOL !! Im sure he is right. Im sitting here and i cant wait to wake up in the morning so i can get to the shop and spend my cash lol. Anyhow, Thanks again and im sure ill post on here more often. If anyone has more info on DPMS products, as to there reliability or ruggedness. I welcome your comments.

Thank you
      Robert
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
                    Lite 16
[img]http://www.dpmsinc.com/Products/RFA2-L16_lg.gif[/img]

Features
Caliber: 223 Cal., 5.56x45mm
Barrel: 16" 4140 Steel, Lightweight Barrel[red]not chrome lined[/red]
Length: 34 1/8"
Weight: 5.72 lbs. (less magazine)
Stock: Carbine Fiberite Stock - pinned(not retractable)
Sights: A1 Rear Sight, A1 front sight post
Features: Forged[red] A1 Upper Receiver [/red]w/forward assist & ejection port cover, Push Pin, Pivot Pin, [red]Investment Cast T-6 Lower Receiver [/red]Action: Semi Auto
Operation: Gas
Method of Locking: Rotating Bolt
Rifling: 6 Grooves RH, 1x9 Twist

Upper & lower receivers are hard coat anodized per Mil-A 8625A & Teflon Coated Black
Each Rifle comes with 2 - 10 round magazines, 1-Nylon Web Sling, and 1-Cleaning Kit
Options and Upgrades Not Available On This Model

Product Code: RFA2-L16

$699.00 msrp
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the rifle new? If so it sounds good. I would also like to add my opinion on getting a A3 with removable carry handle. I would go as far as to say wait until you save a few more bucks and go for the A3. People that get A2's often wish they had gone for the A3. If you have it and use it as a A2 your out a few bucks but if you want the flattop for versatility of scopes your bummed. Wait and get the A3.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome. When I got acquainted with the boards I favored the DPMS myself. Bushmaster got too big for their britches in terms of cost & I didn't trust the virtually unheard of RRA. After hearing the members out I changed tack and opted for the Bushy despite its higher cost. I have not regretted that decision whatsoever. I would suggest you stick to the ABCs for best results: Armalite, Bushmaster, & Colt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
                    Lite 16
[url]http://www.dpmsinc.com/Products/RFA2-L16_lg.gif[/url]

Features
Caliber: 223 Cal., 5.56x45mm
Barrel: 16" 4140 Steel, Lightweight Barrel[red]not chrome lined[/red]
Length: 34 1/8"
Weight: 5.72 lbs. (less magazine)
Stock: Carbine Fiberite Stock - pinned(not retractable)
Sights: A1 Rear Sight, A1 front sight post
Features: Forged[red] A1 Upper Receiver [/red]w/forward assist & ejection port cover, Push Pin, Pivot Pin, [red]Investment Cast T-6 Lower Receiver [/red]Action: Semi Auto
Operation: Gas
Method of Locking: Rotating Bolt
Rifling: 6 Grooves RH, 1x9 Twist

Upper & lower receivers are hard coat anodized per Mil-A 8625A & Teflon Coated Black
Each Rifle comes with 2 - 10 round magazines, 1-Nylon Web Sling, and 1-Cleaning Kit
Options and Upgrades Not Available On This Model

Product Code: RFA2-L16

$699.00 msrp
View Quote

[b]SQB[/b] has highlighted some items that would cause me concern...
Although not having a chromed-lined barrel should not be a problem - Rifles for ages have had "un-chromed" barrels - you just have to be miticulous about keeping it clean - chrome lined barrels are easier to care for...

A1 upper - you can shoot with one - but think about it...
they call it an A2, because it has improvements in the rear sight...
Here again your choice...

But the last one - cast lower???  I don't know...

DPMS products are great.
I have a DPMS lower (forged & milled variety) -
an excellent component, that is mated to a Bushmaster M4 upper...

The only reason I mated it to a BM upper, was it was used, so I got it at a discount - the barrel is chromed lined...

BOTTOM LINE -
I have no problem with DPMS.
I would hold out for a AR with a forged receiver... I've heard stories of castings cracking...

Maybe someone with a cast receiver, can throw in their .02 worth...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]
SQB has highlighted ...
View Quote

[size=6][b][blue]SGB[/size=6][/b][/blue][;)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SQB has highlighted ...
View Quote

[size=6][b][blue]SGB[/size=6][/b][/blue][;)]
View Quote

Sorry, meant to double check before I posted - got longwinded, and forget to check...

Kind of pointless now to go back and edit my error...
People would wonder what the hells wrong with [b]S[blue]G[/blue]B[/b]???

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the site. [wave]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Heading to the gun shop to check it out. Main reason im seriously considering this one is due to the fact that my budget wont allow for much more at all. Me and my girlfriend just purchased our first house and after this paycheck im gona be tight pocketed for a while. Im sure i will want to add a flat top receiver and scope later but its main purpose atm is going to be for fun and just plain target shooting at my parents house. I have looked at other guns in this price range over the past few days and the only other ones i could consider would be the Oly Plinker which i might add is 600.00 as well and has both upper and lower cast receivers and A1 upper. I think for the money i have i would be better safe then sorry to go with the DPMS. The way im looking at it is i can always take it to my local gun show and trade or sell it off to get better. My guns dont get alot of use, but i still enjoy looking at them and shooting them when i can. I have also looked into mounts for the A1 and thers a pretty nice one out called a Z-mount i think. It mounts to the upper handle and extends down over the forgrips for mounting numerous items. I think untill i can afford mrre this will probably be my best rout.

Robert
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Best of luck to ya and welcome to the club. Make sure you give us all a range report with your new rifle[bounce]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a DPMS cast lower and it functions fine.  It's tolerances are not as tight as a forged lower, but still 100% functioning.  I really have not bang this one around so I can not say much for its durability.  You should be Ok with it, but I personally would hold off for the next month or so and try to save an extra $100 and buy a Rock River.

You will find great deals on EE.  Plus the $600 you have now may be better used in your new home.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#20]
My boy has a 16" DPMS 16" with the A1 sights and the cast lower. Beautiful rifle with some purple on the delta ring.  We have run it through about 200 rounds without a malfunction (not a great test, I know).  Of the points folks have brought up, I consider the issue of A1 sights no problem at all. I prefer sights I can set and not worry about. Anyone can turn the dials on an A2 and screw  up your zero but it takes an intentional act to mess with the A1 sights. I ain't planning to shoot anything at 300+ yards with a 16" barrel anyway.  The cast lower may eventually be a problem but for  a fun gun, not a big issue. The chromed bolt carrier is reputed to wear out recievers a little quicker (and the military considers them undeployable) but they are easier to clean.  Short of building yourself a rifle I think the DPMS would be a great starter AR.

And welcome to the board!!

Coffee
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#21]
CHECK ADCO before you buy.

I got virtually the same rifle (with c-lined M4 bbl, and forged lower, flat-top upper, and all RRA) for just a wisker over your $600.

RRA M4 flat-top ~$420
RRA forged lower w/ A2 stock ~$210
$4 shipping
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Viper, welcome...you may regret it one day, as you're broke and still Jonesing for the latest bit of AR gear, but damn it's fun!  

I agree absolutely with the advice to get the flat top, even if it means waiting.  And, if you check around, I'm sure you can come up with the a flat top DPMS for even a little bit less.  I've seen the Lo Pro at shows in this area for well under $600.  

I also agree that the 16" ones are much more versatile than the 20", and unless you're varmint shooting at 400 yards, the velocity drop due to the shorter barrel isn't really a factor.  And the 16" rifles are just as accurate, so you're not giving up anything there either.  

My only experience with DPMS is with my .308LR...I love it, and really like the anodized coating DPMS uses.  So far, I've had no problems with the rifle at all, and I would guess their other models are just as reliable and well made.  

Consider a kit build, as well.  It's much easier than you might think, and if you have access to a few tools, you really can do it yourself in an hour.  All you really have to do is assemble the lower; the upper is already complete, and you simply have to mate it to the finished lower, and press the 2 pins in, then you head to the range.  

You could build what you want for the same price, and be a little more flexible in terms of options...like float tubes, etc.  

I know a place called Atlantic Arms in Maryland has Cav Arms finished 16" rifles for $599...plus whatever you're FFL dealer charges for the transfer...so you're in the $600 ballpark.  

There's lots of options...don't rush into anything, look around...check out some shows.  If you really want that rifle, I think $600 is a pretty good deal...you'd probably have to look pretty hard to find it for much under that price.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Welcome. When I got acquainted with the boards I favored the DPMS myself. Bushmaster got too big for their britches in terms of cost & I didn't trust the virtually unheard of RRA. After hearing the members out I changed tack and opted for the Bushy despite its higher cost. I have not regretted that decision whatsoever. I would suggest you stick to the ABCs for best results: Armalite, Bushmaster, & Colt.
View Quote

Did you experience any problems with a DPMS?  If so, what?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well guys !!!1 I bought the DPMS rifle. Once i had it in my hands at the gun shop i couldnt let it go lol. Anyhow after disassembling it on the shop owners counter i decided it was well worth the cash. 600.00 out the door for a rifle that weights less then 6 lbs and is new imo is nice. It looks to be fine quality. Everything fits tight and i also installed a acu-wedge to make sure it stays that way. Im not so sure i like the chrome bolt carrier. Seems people think it tends to wear out the upper parts faster then a standard carrier but it sure looks cool in there. I havent had it more then 5 hours yet and i already have a list of parts i want to buy. I plan on getting a A3/A4 upper, Skeleton stock, new Magpul grip modeled after the MP5 grip and several attachment rails. This thing is gona be a money sink i can tell. I still however am still going to the gun show tomarrow. Gona keep the Ar in the trunk and maybe ill find someone willing to trade me a flattop complete upper for my A1 super lightweight upper. lol i can dream at least. Anyhow thanks for the advice and answers. Havent shot it yet but as of now im pleased with its quality.

Robert the Newb
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to the mass of insanity which is spending way too much money.... But enjoying every shot!!!!
I own a DPMS 16" HBAR and I think it is one of the best AR's out there. It rivals RR's, Bushy's and even Colt's.  You will not be dissappointed.  Buy it.....They have great customer service too!!!
Again... WELCOME...[beer]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome Robert
I just purchased a DPMS Lite 16. Checkout Guntest.com August 2003 issue.$600.00 is a good price.

wigum40
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
[b]viper5194[/b]

Go ahead and buy the DPMS...

You can always replace the cast lower later - as a rebuild project, since you have all the other major working components...

Wlecome aboard, and good shooting...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#28]
welcome.  I would have stayed away from the light barrel as they tend to not be as durable.  However this is just my opinion and sounds like you got a good rifle for a good price. Have fun
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I have my opinions on various manufacturers as do we all, but one thing most members of this board will agree with:

Stay away from from Hesse arms and Vulcan Arms (Hesse Arms' new name).

If you see one for sale in a store or on the web...RUN AWAY. I would not buy one of those for my worst enemy. well, maybe my absolute worst enemy. But seriously, avoid them like the plague.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure about the durability of the lite barrel but i do intend on upgradeing it soon enough. Ive already priced a new upper thru www.model1sales.com. They seem to have really nice stuff at decent prices and they always attend my local gun show. Im hopeing to get a A3 upper with a SS heavy fluted barrel. Maybe even have a SS muzzle break added to it. As for the price !! For the 600.00 cash i paid i got a helluva gun. Its light and solid with almost no movement between the upper and lower when twisted or shaken. Seems like DPMS did well makeing this one. Will post later after ive actualy shot it. Havent had time due to my work scheduel. Thanks for all the info. This site rocks !!!!!

Robert
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top