Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 10:20:32 AM EDT
Looking through the Panther/DPMS catalog, I notice they refer to both M4 style and CAR style stocks, as if they were different.

I have always considered the collapsible angular stock (sort of triangular at the end of the tube) an M4 style stock.  I always thought CAR stock referred to any stock for the AR style rifles.  

For example, what is the difference between these three products, aside from material:

M4: http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CS-M4
CAR: http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CS-10B
CAR: http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=CS-10

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Original CAR-15 stock was rubber coated aluminum.  That changed sometime in the late 70s to fiberlite or some such term, its plastic. Many M4s were issued with this 2d generation Car stock.  Then came the ribbed stock, then the Crane Stock, the VLTOR ect

What stock you use all depends on what you need it for and if your weapon is preban or not.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
So all M4 stocks are also CAR stocks, but not all CAR stocks are M4 stocks?

I'm just interested in nomenclature here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Its kind of like A3 and A4 uppers.  The meaning means nothing but what the manufacturer labels it.  You have (to me) OLD M4 stock and NEW M4 stock.  They call the old one the CAR and the new one the M4 (ribbed).
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a preban, just go with the VLTOR and be done with it.  :-)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have a preban, just go with the VLTOR and be done with it.  
View Quote

I don't even have a rifle.  I'm just trying to understand the nomenclature.

If a manufacturer says "M4" and he also says "CAR," what is the difference?

I'm getting an idea there might be two "revisions" of the same style stock, which once the M4 was introduced became known as an M4 style stock.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#6]
As Devl has said, its all dependant on which catalog you are are looking at.  What is out there on the Civ market, might or might not have anything to do with what is "issue" in the military.  

To paraphrase an instructor at one of my training courses said "What you Specops guys bolt on your guns I have no clue about, it dont leave the factory that way, so its all just aftermarket crap to me"  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My take on it:
CAR; the original collapsable stock, Vietnam era design, aluminum slider, 90 degree butt/buffer angle.  This thing is heavy and slids off your shoulder during firing if you're not carefull.  The balance of the rifle is odd.
M4; more recent development, ribbed plastic slider, maybe 80 degree angle?  Stays on the shoulder when firing and balances better in my opinion due to less weight.
All the others that I've seen (ex: vltor) are funky looking, like a ratchet strap that copulated with a vice-grip or something!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
CAR stock:

[img]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/stckcar.gif[/img]

M4 style:

[img]http://webcats.net/store/graphics/00000001/New_stock.jpg[/img]

Different manufacturers may call them different things (for instance, Rock River calls the M4 the "tactical CAR stock") but I think this is what's generally thought of as being CAR and M4 stocks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Different manufacturers may call them different things (for instance, Rock River calls the M4 the "tactical CAR stock") but I think this is what's generally thought of as being CAR and M4 stocks.
View Quote

No, your illustration is perfect.  Now I see the difference.

Is there any real consensus among shooters that one is vastly superior to the other?

Is the CAR stock still pretty popular?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both, had the CAR first & than swithced to the M4 style one, like it better.
But, I call them both M4 style, old version & new version. [:D]

TG

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the CAR stock, because the original upper on my pre-ban was (guess what) a CAR upper.  I also like the sling attachment point on the top of the stock.

Plus, I'm just not tactical/High Speed-Low Drag enough for that fancy M4 stock.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top