Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2003 10:36:01 PM EDT
I have pretty much decided on a 16" flat-top from RRA and to get the tactical carry handle. Im going to buy the lower and upper seperate to assemble myself to save some money. But I am definitely buying the upper complete.

What is the main difference between the Tactical CAR A4 and the Elite CAR A4??   The only difference I could find is the Tactical has shorter handguards than the midlength of the Elite.  Any thing else?

And, is their an advantage of buying either of the abover over the stock CAR A4 and getting the Tactical Handle seperately?

My only other addition I would like to have on the upper is a free float tube handguard, just like the ones on RRA website. But it doesnt seem I can get an upper with this on it already. How are these changed? Easy?
Thanks in advance!
Chris
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You've already commented on the big difference...mid vs CAR length gas system and handguards.
If you check their new web-site, I think you'll find that the tube is an available option.  It is in their new catalog.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You should contact "C4iGrant", he can hook you up with anything Rock River Arms. Grant is One of the best dealers around and  always takes the time to answer questions.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
CHRIS Am unsure if you got my email 10-15 my box was messin up but stay away from the aluminum tubes from RRA not that they are bad but they just require alot of time to fullfill the order. I have two RRA elite 16" I bought one complete and got the other in two pieces ,one with alum tube the other w/dubble heat shield hg's . The pieces got to me quicker because I couldn't decide when I ordered that complete rifle. I would put money on it that they just sent me what was there to get me to stop calling them because it was not what I ordered I was hooked up but very disappointed at the same time I wish I would have just ordered what was in the catalog and did my own changes. I learned alot from that experience w/RRA and free float alum tubes , that was cupla years ago maybe things are being shipped quicker since they moved into a new building but maybe an after market tube would be a better way to go since you can install it or take it to a gunsmith , at least you'll know where its at.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are plannig on doing the upper lowere separate route you may want to check out these guys.

[url]http://www.adcofirearms.com/[/url]

Some of the best non-wholesale prices I've seen.

The difference between the Elite & the Tactical is that the Elite has a mid length handguard.

I have the Mid length on my RRA Car A2. I've heard that the longer gas tube should give you a little better functioning but really can't tell much in comparison from the Bushy Carbine I had.

The down side of the Mid Length I've found is that there are not as many rail systems available for it.

Also RRA is now offering a chrome lined barrel but I believe only on their CAR A2 uppers. May be something to look into.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies guys....im new to AR's so sorry for all the questions.

sluggo...I saw that they had the fre float tube on the website, but to order the upper direct from them and add the tube is soo much more expensive than buying the upper from adcofirearms and adding the tube later on.

VaDinger...i cant seem to find any posts from him....could you or someone give me his email or website??

Hammerdrop....reply sent.

drobs, adcofirearms is where I am planning on buying the seperate pieces.    It sucks about the avalability of rail systems, but I definitely want the free float tube anyway.

Im still curious whats the difference between the Elite CAR A4 and the normal 16" CAR A4?   Just the fact that the Elite includes the tactical handle and I would have to buy it seperate if I got the CAR A4??

Also, can the free float tube be installed by myself?  I am mechanically advanced, but dont know squat about AR's.

Thanks
Chris

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't see any differences between the 2 rifles other than the handguards.

Funny thing about my mid length CAR A2 is that the model designation on the receiver is actually LAR15.

Do you have a cell phone with free long distance? If so give them a call. I have a feeling that they just reorganized there lines & there is really no major difference.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks drobs...
ive been in contact with adco since I posted last....he said he can add the free float tube on anything for $45. And the CAR A4 is the same as the Elite CAR A4 w/o the tactical handle...so im going to order the CAR A4 UPPER, add the free float tube, buy the tactical handle seperate, and a complete lower from them in the near future. :-d
Thanks for everyones help.
Chris
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
On the rifles, the differences between a mid-length CAR-A4 and the Elite appear to be:
1.  tac "handle"
2.  side sling swivel
3.  Hogue grip
4.  star safety
That's just from going side-by-side with the descriptions of the two models in their catalog.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks sluggo...
Im going to get the standard complete lower and an upper...so of those differences, the only ones that matter are the tac. handle and the side swivel sling, which doesnt bother me to not have.  not worth getting the elite upper anymore since it only added those 2 things for so much extra case, plus someone is lending me their tac. handle as a good dead [beer]
Looks like im getting a pretty good deal in the end. Even If I wanted them, I could always add the star safety and hogue grip later to replicate the ELITE.  and the non-collasible stock of course.
Thanks for everyones help
Chris
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I just finished getting my 20 inch stainless barrelled upper from Model 1. They had a couple of them with EOP(elavated optical platform) with the rear sight. After I got it I found out that it came from RRA, although the barrel is a Shaw Barrel. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet ,I will do that this weekend. I added a BSA variable scope  4X16 and used the tall rings so I can still use my fixed sights. It sure looks cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO, you can't go wrong with RRA.
I also recommend ADCO Firearms.

Great prices, personal service, expert advice, the very best products, and $4 flat-rate shipping. What more could an AR-addict ask for?

Give Steve a shot, you won't regret it.

[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url]

[email][email protected][/email]

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=170654]AR Specific Tools[/url]

[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=153935]Rock River parts[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top