Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/10/2003 5:01:45 PM EDT
When cleaning my AR I noticed the carrier is not staked on. Everything I have read says it should be. I can stake it on no problem, but I got thinking, should I. Is their any reason to ever change the key. I have fired about 300rds. through it before I noticed. It is still tight. It came in a kit from Sherluk. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:04:58 PM EDT
The one in my Bushmaster is staked on, I would staked if I was you, hate for it to work loose,better safe than sorry. TG
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:48:48 PM EDT
I agree with Texas, torque and stake, I apply a thin film of black rtv to my own personal, never had a seal problem, coincidence? maybe...again safe than sorry. Robert
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:40:26 PM EDT
They should be staked.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:09:37 PM EDT
Definetely stake it. Don't want that coming off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:15:43 PM EDT
The only one that I had that wasn't staked, I staked! I am told only benchrest competitors sometimes do not stake them on because some like to clean the insides. You do not want a properly torqued on key coming off, there can only be drawbacks to not staking unless you are an absolute cleaning freak, and asking for the possibility of the key coming off. If it didn't come staked on, they were too cheap to have it done, trying to save a buck or going with a cheesy supplier that is cutting corners IMO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:35:07 AM EDT
Stake it. I had one that wasn't staked, and I figured I'd give it a try. It shot loose in about 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:56:40 PM EDT
Probably just an oversight by whoever assembled the key and bolt carrier. Some folks use Lock-tite (I forget which color) instead of staking it, but I haven’t – so I don’t know how well that works. Technically, the screws should first be torqued to the proper specification. I forget what it is other than, IIRC, it’s in inch/pounds, not foot pounds!! If the key gets even slightly loose, you’ll get gas leakage around the key/carrier junction, which may result in malfunctions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:21:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:16:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MickeyMouse: Stake it! P.. poor application for Locktite!!
View Quote
I whole heartily concur! That carrier is going to get hot, and Locktite melts. If it's in an M16 and it's not staked on, go kick yourself in the ass cause you deserve it, then wait for failure cause it won't take long at all. Torque the screws on properly, then stake them, then no more worries now or later. P.S. Even if the key is staked on, that doesn't mean you can't remove it in the future, it will simply take more elbow grease.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:34:57 PM EDT
It must have lock-tite on it. It wouldn't move either way. So I staked it on. I bought this a few years ago and can remember everyone was in a panic because bolts were hard to get. Everyone seemed to be out of them. Who ever put them together was probably in a hurry. I bought two kits, guess I better check the other one. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:10:12 PM EDT
Stake and peen! Nothing more frustrating than having the key come loose and the weapon starts shortstroking. My AR carriers are both all peened/staked and even so, during every cleaning I make sure they are still tight with an allen wrench.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:26:29 PM EDT
My friends DPMS was not staked. It came loose and damaged the tip of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:11:27 AM EDT
Could someone explain how to stake the key? I've heard the term but was wondering if your average joe can pull it off. thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:18:52 AM EDT
Top Top