Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 3:08:28 PM EDT
Suggestions on shooting in low light with a postban rifle?  I'm concerned about the muzzle blast/flash, not optics, etc.  

Right now I have a mini-y comp which absolutely sucks.  Considering a couple of options: stripped muzzle or go with a Kurts Kustom A3 Takbrake.  Any other suggestions or thoughts on those two?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If you use a quality (Surefire) weapon mounted light for target ID in low light, the muzzle flash will not matter.  Even without a weapon light muzzle flash is not a big deal unless you’re in complete darkness, no street light, no moon light, no nothin’.  IMHO, with a weapon light, quality ammo, and a barrel of 16”+ you will be fine. I would agree with the stripped muzzel or the A3 brake over the mini-y.

Ray
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
illuminate, shoot and move.

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Good suggestions - though I still hate illum.  I was "raised" withteh tactics of staying stealthy & hidden...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
INVEST IN A GOOD CROSSBOW THATS WHAT THE VIETNAMISE DID YOU CAN GET A GOOD 1 FOR A HUNDERS MAX WHICK CAN BE EASILY FATAL  AT HUNDRED YARDS AND SINCE ITS CHEAP YOU CAN ALWAYS DITCH IT NO SOUND NO LIGHT AND YOU CAN STILL CAN A GUN HANDY TAHTS IF YOU LIKE STEALTH BUT A GOOD LIGHT IS BETTER THAN STELTH DUE TO THE FACT I BLINDS ANY THING IN SIGHT ND IT SUPRISES AND ILLUMINATES AND IDENTIFIES THE TARGET REMBER STEALT IS NOT AN ISSUSE CAUSE DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES JUST KIDDING
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
lol...Noobs keyboard is broke. sorry man, ppl really hate to see ALL caps, its the equivalant to yelling.

Back on topic, i use a LEVANG linear muzzle brake (has opening like gatlin gun) it works really well, it looks like sparks out the end of barrel instead of one big flash, i also use surefire attached to handguard and trijicon front site post.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
INVEST IN A GOOD CROSSBOW
View Quote

[LOLabove]

Ray
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto SMGLee and I would add...If you need illumination, you need it.  You can't hit what you can't see (in most cases) and you should not shoot what you can't identify.  In my experimentation with various rifles including post-ban rifles, a break of some kind will disperse the blast/flash better than a straight barrel.  However, the type of ammo you use has more to do with it than anything else I have seen.  Experiment with different types of ammo and go with one that has the least amount of flash.  This goes for pistol ammo too.  The biggest issue that I come accross is that most peole who talk about incredible amounts of blinding blast don't shoot in low-light or darkness and are just repeating what they think would happen.  I have run though night time training with ported pistols and had no more trouble than the next guy.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 However, the type of ammo you use has more to do with it than anything else I have seen.  

View Quote

Agreed.  XM193 or q3131A flash a whole lot more than 75gr Black Hills.

And get a light.  For any engagement you are likely to be involved in, it is more important to identify the target and get the hits than to momentarily give away your position.  As SMGLee said, illuminate, shoot, [b]move[/b].
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you need illumination, you need it.  You can't hit what you can't see (in most cases) and you should not shoot what you can't identify.  
View Quote

Say some building clearing is going on.  Do our forces bother to illuminate their targets at night in Baghdad before they shoot to make sure they don't shoot a friendly?  With a red dot you can easily shoot what you can't identify.

Scenario for you.  I'm in my house at night.  I hear a noise downstairs.  My wife is right next to me, I grab my AR and look in my boy's room, he is sleeping soundly.  I head downstairs and clearly see a silhouette moving quietly across my living room.  Why the heck would I need to illuminate the target before I shoot.  If someone is in my house at night without my knowledge his life is forfeit and I CAN shoot him with my EoTech on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Say some building clearing is going on.  Do our forces bother to illuminate their targets at night in Baghdad before they shoot to make sure they don't shoot a friendly?  With a red dot you can easily shoot what you can't identify.
View Quote

Well, I wasn't there so I cannot answer definitively, but remember there is a difference between domestic law enforcement / home defense and [b]war[/b].

Scenario for you.  I'm in my house at night.  I hear a noise downstairs.  My wife is right next to me, I grab my AR and look in my boy's room, he is sleeping soundly.  I head downstairs and clearly see a silhouette moving quietly across my living room.  Why the heck would I need to illuminate the target before I shoot.  If someone is in my house at night without my knowledge his life is forfeit and I CAN shoot him with my EoTech on.
View Quote

There are two problems with this.

First, in spite of your low light Eotech shooting skills, what if you miss and your round ends up in your neighbor's bedroom?

Second, say you live in a typical American subdivision where the houses all look alike and forgot to lock your back door.  In this case you just killed your drunk neighbor who thought he was in his own house.

Far fetched I know, but either one could be avoided with a quick burst of white light.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

You need a little more than that here in Texas to justify the use of deadly force. In that scenario I would suggest: grab the AR, wife and child go in to a secure room or leave the house and call the police.  Searching a house is one of the things we get paid to do.

Ray
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If someone is in my house at night without my knowledge his life is forfeit and I CAN shoot him with my EoTech on.
View Quote

You sir are a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone is in my house at night without my knowledge his life is forfeit and I CAN shoot him with my EoTech on.
View Quote

You sir are a dumbass.
View Quote

I disagree, I think that's the way IT SHOULD BE.  The way the law is written is stupid.  And the mere fact that YOU can get in trouble for searching your own house (because now you're supposedly on the "offensive" even though he's in your house, so really you're on the defensive) is f'ing stupid.  Imagine someone invades our country.. are we supposed to all migrate to a "safe area", let them steal & plunder whatever they want, and then hope they leave?  NO.  We wipe them out and we don't let them put a foot on our land.  So why are our laws so hipocritical when it comes down to protecting our homes?  Why do we protect worthless POS criminals instead of families?  If those human cockroaches are infesting your house and sticking their ass where it doesn't belong, you or anyone else are absolutoley just in blowing them away.  This kind of thing was NEVER tolerated years ago, and now it's like we're supposed to bend over and take it in the ass because some crackhead needs his fix and won't work a legitimate job.

I swear, if I ever get to be a juror on a case like this, I don't care if the guy went hunting for the bad guy then shot him 50 times and cut him into peices, I'm still going to say he's not guilty.  Just because it's in the law books doesn't mean you have to say he is guilty of it, you as a juror can help determine case law.

And as everyone knows, it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You sir are a dumbass.
View Quote

Perhaps you can explain WHY you feel this statement makes me a dumbass.  Is it because you feel I'm going to get thrown in jail for accidentally shooting an innocent?  I'll take that chance.  My home is locked up tight, nobody is just going to WANDER into it at night.  I'd rather take the SMALL chance that it isn't a criminal then take the BIG chance that my family could come to harm.  If the intruder IS a crack head and the cops try and say I didn't have the right to shoot him because he wasn't a threat, I simply say, "Hey, I yelled 'get out of my house' and the guy said he was going to kill me.  What else could I do?"   So again, please elaborate on your witty use of the word "dumbass".  [frag]

Edited to add:
Besides, if I wait for the cops to show up, he gets away and just goes and robs (or worse) some other home tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
South African ammunition apparently has flash suppressants in it; the flash is pretty much a non-issue in my 16" postban carbine. Comparatively, XM193 will devestate your night vision.

I may be slightly more sensitive to night blindness as an [amateur] astronomer, though.. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#16]
JMV...
INVEST IN A GOOD CROSSBOW THATS WHAT THE VIETNAMISE DID YOU CAN GET A GOOD 1 FOR A HUNDERS MAX WHICK CAN BE EASILY FATAL AT HUNDRED YARDS AND SINCE ITS CHEAP YOU CAN ALWAYS DITCH IT NO SOUND NO LIGHT AND YOU CAN STILL CAN A GUN HANDY TAHTS IF YOU LIKE STEALTH BUT A GOOD LIGHT IS BETTER THAN STELTH DUE TO THE FACT I BLINDS ANY THING IN SIGHT ND IT SUPRISES AND ILLUMINATES AND IDENTIFIES THE TARGET REMBER STEALT IS NOT AN ISSUSE CAUSE DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES JUST KIDDING
View Quote

WOW!!!

Just one question son... from what video game did you glean these pearls of wisdom???
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Furing a recent carbine night shoot with us packed closely together the guy to my left was shooting a 16" carbine with a A2 style FS. I don't know what kind of ammo he was shooting.  Every time he touched a round off there was a huge fireball.  I found it very distracting but it did not seem to affect my night vision much if at all.  It did not leave any after images.  I suspect that the flash is so short and of limited intensity (though it may not seem that way when accompanied by the BOOM) that your eyes don't adapt to it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top