Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2003 8:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/8/2003 8:38:44 PM EDT by david10066]
a couple of months ago I got fed up with the weight on my old upper which was a hbar 11.5/5.5 flash hider and decided to do an m4gery project.

I got a bushy upper with the phatom flash hider and shortly there after got a KAC RAS. I' just recently got a surefire m900(the prices have finally come down to a somewhat barely affordable level but will never say outload how much I paid for a flashlight).

It's a quality light/handle but now my setup is just over 9 pounds and is starting to loose the lightweight handy carbine appeal I was looking for. later this year I'm going to go for an Eotech which will add more weight.

Any of you guys with simalair setups have any opinions or comments about the rifles weight with all these add on's?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:48:22 PM EDT
Weight is the reason I went with a light weight barrel on my last build. I cut weight were I could. I also noticed that the rifle balances closer to the mag well with the light weight barrel than it did on my M4 upper. When setting up a fighting rifle you must decide the necessity of each and every item that you attach to it. Nothing on my rifle is there without careful consideration. And nothing will remain there if I determine that it is not needed. Here is a pic. [img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054105.jpg[/img] The barrel has been cut to 14.5 inches now with a Vortex FH pinned on the end and I have added an ARMS 40 BUIS. I need to take some new pics.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:43:33 PM EDT
My rifle got portly and slighlty front heavy with the M900. Its still not too heavy and if I wanted a CQB rifle I would go with a LW 14.5" barrel, Tango Down front grip, 6V light system and the lightest rail system I could find. Id probably even go with an AR15 carrier instead of an M16 carrier too. Is your current barrel 14.5" long with a phantom making it 16"? If not there is some of your front end weight right there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:19:58 PM EDT
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU HAD THE M900 IS MUCH HEAVIER THAN THAN GRIP FLASHLIGHT COMBO ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE 125 BULB IN THEIR R MANT LIGHT WEIGHT OPTIONS I REPLACE THE RAS WITH I FIRSH SINCE I WAS NOT MOUNTING ANY OPTICS TO IT THE SET UP WAS OVER 400 DOLLARS CHEAPER AND ABOUT 2.5 OR 3 POUNDS LIGHTER FLUTING THR BARREL HELPS WITH COOLING IF YOUR GONN GO WITH THE FIRSH ND IT HELPS THE WEIGHT I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST EOTECH I WAITING 4 IT 2 OME BUT I WOULD IMAGIN ITS LIGHTER DUE TO THERES NO NEED 4 A MOUNT ESPICALLY IT YOU GOT THE HUMPBACK WHALE
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:42:02 PM EDT
Yes, the M900 is heavy. I had the same "gee this is light" feeling that turned to "Hmmm, maybe this is too heavy" feeling. Oh well, had better keep in shape or sell the thing...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:28:16 PM EDT
I usually flip out when I remove the thing and go to just my handguard. Its so much more handy. Oh well any tac light on the front of a rifle is going to cause that. I do love the Nav lights and how everything is integrated an I can take it off and swap my extra rail off my stock and go to the standard grip in under 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:34:31 PM EDT
Is there any lighter illuminator system (couldn't say lighter light system lol [:D]) that has over 100 lumens of output for 1 hour? I'm running a SIR on my carbine and I don't want vertical grip, but I still want a light. SF M9xx series all seem to make front somewhat heavy to use without foregrips. (9 oz to 11+ oz) I'm waiting for Insight's M3X to be released...but do I have any alternatives?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:28:47 PM EDT
Useless weight is heavy to me. If it serves a realistic tactical purpose I’ll deal with it. Ray
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:34:02 PM EDT
Sorry the ONLY 9V system on the market is the Surefire. Oh wait.... how many Volts is that cheesy one the military dumped for Surefire that was part of the SOPMOD upgrade for the M4? That might be 9V. Let me check...
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:49:07 PM EDT
I found an over 100 luen light system. Still cant find who makes the flashlight for the military. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=170375[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:56:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL: I... Still cant find who makes the flashlight for the military.
View Quote
Insight Technologies made the original "VLI" but it was not well liked and seems to have disappeared.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/10/2003 11:01:26 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
Wah, wah, wah, it's too heavy...PU$$IES! Bunch of slack jawed faggots![;)] Just kidding![:D] The M900a was really something I was trying not to like but after going through and trying the diffierent setups with the M962 I decided the M900a was the best way to go for me. I really didn't want to have to mess with the tail switches and though the SW02 switch was nice it was a PIA to find an ideal position for the light and be able to use it bilaterally. If I was going with the M962 I would also get a the new Tango Down vertical grip. I really don't think it would saving much weight by the time I filled the grip with batteries or a spare bolt. I also recently just got the old style battery cap without the the master on/off switch and I like much better. Though I can see the need for the switchable model I like how the old cap makes the M900a more compact. Either way I feel the few extra ounces added compared to a M962 setup is well worth the features and capabilities the M900a gives me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:26:45 PM EDT
David listen to YOJIMBO he is the stud if he sez it is then it is, besides for his right to say it is he had to buy his wife furniture , a man dont go to them lenghts and be off center !The weight comes with the accessories , I tried and the jury is still in deliberation the M44's 4rail polymer handguards , I thought I was ahead of the curve and then I was able to handle a SIR System off of a carbine and I could not believe how light it really is ,my ship had sailed anyway I use a forward grip and have an M3 mounted right in front of it and it is not a Surefire M900 but I can still backlight my target and puts out 70-80 lumens I have and Eotech 511 up top and my rig weighs 10.0lbs, and I would also never say outloud how much I paid for a flashlight either. I tried to save the weight but I realized the advantage to having a heavier carbine in case I got to use it like a club !
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:01:22 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with dfoing muzzle strikes with an M900? Does it hold up?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2003 11:49:33 AM EDT by DevL]
The light or the mount? The light will be no different than any other 9V Surefire as far as the bulb. The mount is next to indestructable. I will ask someone to let me muzzle strike them about 5 or 6 times to see if the handle will hold up. [;)]
Top Top