Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2003 9:50:50 AM EDT
While watching a History Channel program about Viet Nam, I noticed that all of the M-16's had birdcage flash hiders on them. The video came from the invasion across the border during 1970-1971 time frame.

When was the birdcage hider adopted? and why.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
When: ????

Why: One reason was that its predecessor, the 3 pronged FH would snag on things like grass & foliage.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The 3 prong suppressor was on the M16 and the M16E1.  The birdcage came out with the M16A1, which began to appear in numbers in mid-1967.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't recall where i heard this, but:  I heard that early GI's would bend the prongs up by using the FS to bust the strapping off of shipments.  Probably just AR15.com horseshit, but I would imagine those things would catch a lot of jungle plantlife in them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Still, it took some time before older ARs were cycled out of use and send to armorers to have components upgraded, so the older 3-prongs were still occasionally seen on rifles much later in the war.
View Quote

I used an M16 with a 3-prong flashhider as late as 1989 - you'll find all kinds of crap in a reserve unit armory. They do indeed snag and gather brush like nobody's business.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't recall where i heard this, but:  I heard that early GI's would bend the prongs up by using the FS to bust the strapping off of shipments.  Probably just AR15.com horseshit, but I would imagine those things would catch a lot of jungle plantlife in them.
View Quote

The 3 prong was used often to pop the wire bindings on C-ration cases.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The three prong flashhider also wasn't as effective in reducing flash as the birdcage flashider.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top