Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 4:08:37 PM EDT
I asked this question previously in a different forum but got no responses; might have posted it in the wrong place so I thought I'd ask my question here.

Basically, I'm looking for any and all California legal AR-type receivers that anyone might have heard of. So far the ones I've found are:

1. The FAB-10 from gogogadgets.net
2. The DPMS single shot lower ($179.95)

And that's about it. I haven't heard of any others. Does anyone know of any others, or have more specific info on the two I listed? I'm sick of being AR-less. Shooting bolt actions, even if they are 8mm mausers, just isn't the same!

(Edited to change Oly to DPMS, thanks uglygun!)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't know Olympic was putting out a single shot lower....

DPMS is putting out a single shot lower though...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are the only two that I am aware of. You're right, there isn't a whole lot of info out there. I think part of it, is because Californians are about the only ones interested. My interest, is to build one for my mom's husband in CA.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a site selling a complete CAlifornia legal ar15 for about 1200, this is with the fab10 lower, email for info...

I too am in california and hate the restrictions its a joke!.

I want an AR15 but dont want to pay extra because only a couple of companies are making the lowers.  

The Fab10 lower is retailing for around 350-380 (non stripped version)

That is just too much,  anyone found a more reasonable price on this lower??

I will sit back and wait until other companies jump in on the design and begin mass producing.

This sucks!!! Not the site, but the Ar15 issue in California
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
How much is the FAB-10 going for, stripped? I haven't been able to find ANY prices except at one site which was around $379 as part of a lower kit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Only reason I want a single shot lower is so that I can use it to take the punishment of a 50BMG upper assembly.

Not about to pretzel one of my 3 Ca. registered AR15 receivers to the abuse of a 50BMG upper no matter how light recoiling those uppers are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannery shop has both a dedicated 50 lower (no magwell) and a Fab10 type lower.

These are 80% lowers, but they are not that difficult to complete.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up about Tannery Shop, I'll check that out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Well,you can always buy a Robinson M96 Recon or an SKS or an M1a or an FAL!I have quite a bit of experience with the Fab10 and it is not a good primary rifle,but it will let you play around with the AR15 system.Regards,Blade
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Move.  Your options make me want to puke.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If moving was an option right now, do you THINK I'd be asking about PRK legal ARs?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Move.  Your options make me want to puke.
View Quote
There's always a [:O)] in these threads.

[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159037]California lowers- an update[/url]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If moving was an option right now, do you THINK I'd be asking about PRK legal ARs?
View Quote

I am in a similar situation here in Illinois. Thankfully we have been victorious at keeping the Commies at bay here in IL but when SB1195 came up a law that would have put you in prison for life had you not turned in your rifles after the 90 day grace period I was in a bad situation as family responsibilities would keep me here in IL at leat for a few more years. I feel your pain. It is beyond me how anyone can live in CA but I am sure like me, you are bound and I applaud your sense of duty. Everytime I see that weasel Gray Davis on TV I have to go throw up. He is a serious bastard. Regarding the FAB10 I will tell you $379 for a completely built lower is pretty much in line with a Colt built lower and maybe $100 or so more than the others. I have seen numerous full page ads in shotgun news for the FAB10. There are still many options for you though and I would think about a fixed mag FAL or M1A before the FAB10. Just my 2 cents. Keep the faith my friend and you will be liberated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Only reason I want a single shot lower is so that I can use it to take the punishment of a 50BMG upper assembly.
View Quote

Isn't there a movement to ban fifties in CA?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, notack, that's a good thread.

I guess now I have three options:

1. The FAB-10 from [url]gogogadgets.net[/url]
2. The DPMS single shot lower ($179.95)
3. An 80% lower that is NOT a Colt AR15 series or a Bushmaster, with a fixed 10rd closed bottom magazine that cannot be removed without the use of tools.

Considering that #3 just about requires the jig, it'd cost the same or more than the ready-to-go FAB-10. Although there's something to be said for building it yourself.

patriot73, yeah, considering the flaming hoops I have to jump through for crap like this I'd just as soon get a DSA FAL or something like that, except they're pretty spendy, plus I have all these accessories and a very lonely AR upper that hasn't gotten laid in years, so to speak...
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Suburban, yes there is.

That is why I would like to get one before it goes into effect.

Chances are they would do a registration of the things similar to how they did the AW bans.    Where I'd get bent over the barrel is if they banned the sale of the ammo in California.

My real worry is if the 50BMG ever gets added to the NFA list, if that happens and all 50BMGs have to be registered under NFA guidelines an upper assembly would need to have a serial number associated with it to be transferable.   Would probably be much like a DIAS or LightningLink where the 50BMG upper would be considered the firearm.

Now what happens in Ca. if 50s go NFA?   Well, supposedly the DOJ does allow for some grandfathering of firearms that might get added to the NFA.    There were some shotguns that got added to the NFA act and I guess the Ca. DOJ actually allowed those who owned the things to go through with the registration process and keep them in Ca.    This was according to a DOJ tech that was quite well versed on things, not some idiot phone tech that simply read answers from the webpage.   He sounded like somebody that actually is involved with the Ca. legislature and works with the AG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top