Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2003 8:51:31 PM EDT
I just got my first pre ban. I have some general questions about bayonets.
I have a 16" upper will any bayo fit?
Are they all universal fit, or do I need a specific type of bayo for 16" upper?
If a specific type of bayo is needed, where can I get one?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The standard bayonet will NOT fit.  It will end up w/the front ring flopping around on the barrel, rather than nestling over the flash suppressor.  I have seen pics of both a special order bayonet (never issued by anyone)with an extra long handle. Have also seen an adapter that moves the end of the standard job far enough forward to put it in the right position.

Understand, the 16 inch barrels were never anybodys military issue, and the only reason Colt, and later the aftermarket people, ever left the lug on is that they were too lazy to cut it off.  The '94 ban changed that, of course, so now they have to cut it off on the post ban versions. Somehow, that made leaving it on the preban barrels more desirable; though why it does is beyond me.

If you just have to have a bayonet on the thing, I'm sure someone on the site can point you toward either the special long number, or the adapter. Me, I'm a shooter, not a sticker, so I never paid much attention to where or when on these things[:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen Bayonet Lugs that bolt around your barrel before on sale on ebay...I tried to find some just now for you with no luck. They tend to sell very expensive.

Wait a minute: 16" barrels were never issue??? I never knew this...please elaborate
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
www.prebanarms.com sells a bayonet that will fit.

A little pricey but it works.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, the bayonet doesnt work on the 16" carbine barrel because it was never a military issue length, 14.5" is on the M4, and was on the older Colt M16 Carbine.  The 16" length is a specification for minimum barrel length on rifles set by the National Firearms Act of 1934.

If you have a 14.5" barrel with a Phantom or Vortex perminently attached, it will allow mounting of the bayonet since the lug and the rear of the flash suppressor will be the correct distance appart.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually, the bayonet doesnt work on the 16" carbine barrel...
View Quote

Works fine on my pre ban carbine.

They just put a spacer on the bayonet to make up for the distance.

edited to fix quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, the bayonet doesnt work on the 16" carbine barrel...
View Quote

Works fine on my pre ban carbine.

View Quote

Who's "they"?  A standard bayonet will not fit a 16" barrel as mentioned several times.  The original question was whether a standard bayonet will fit a 16", or was something special required?

There are aftermarket bayonet adapters that add 1.5" to the handle of the bayonet, and I think someone sells them already converted.  

Other than "because I can", I can't see any reason why you would want to do this.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#8]
cmmginc.com has the screw on bayonet lug that can be moved anywhere on the barrel. It is mase specifically for carbine barrel lengths that do not allow you to otherwise have the bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
An 11.5"/5.5" combo will allow a standard bayonet to fit also, since the flash suppressor is the proper diameter.
View Quote

Maybe some of the aftermarket pieces will, but a suppressor of original XM177E2 dimensions will be far too wide to take a bayonet.  That's why Colt cut the bayo lug off of the issue XM177s; and why I cut the lug off my SP1 carbine, when I converted it to an XM177 replica.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple of questions:

1] How will a standard bayo fit on a pre ban RRA upper with the mid-length handguards?

2] Can you use a bayo with a gemtech bi-lock?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Couple of questions:

1] How will a standard bayo fit on a pre ban RRA upper with the mid-length handguards?

2] Can you use a bayo with a gemtech bi-lock?

Thanks!
View Quote

He'll just increase the potassium level to induce bradycardia, and then use a temp pacemaker to avoid catastropically low organ perfusion. A real doctor wouldn't have to ask!!!!!!!!! While he's at it he might clue the physicians in that reglan doesn't do squat for nausea but does induce anorexia in the elderly, and just for good measure he might mention that AR owners tend to live 1.4 years longer than the average provided their Doctors don't spend all theit time perusing or posting on AR15.com.......

[PEEP]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
They'er great in keeping the guns out of the dirt too. [banana]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/SEPDBS%20025.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info. My reason for wanting to put a bayonet on the rifle, is the same as why I got a preban in the first place, because I can". Since a std bayo will not fit properly, I would be interested in a handle extension. If anyone can direct me to one, I would appreciate it. I did some searching, but came up empty.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Who's "they"?  A standard bayonet will not fit a 16" barrel as mentioned several times.
View Quote

I should have been more specific, I was reffering back to my earlier post when I mentioned www.prebanarms.com.

But the bayonet does in fact fit a Colt Pre ban Govt Carbine and that is the best way that I can put it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah ha...... found it.

You said it, pricey but it works.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah ha...... found it.

You said it, pricey but it works.
View Quote

Yep, if you want it know you must pay. I'm sure the extension could be easily machined though. You could probably use a simple lenght of aluminum tubing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15628[/img]

Got the one from Prebanarms.com.  I just wish they would make one for the M9 as well...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top