Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 4:36:39 PM EDT
if the AWB is NOT renewed, what about the current "holy grail" collectable rifles?

for example, the pre ban Colt AR15A3 is currently the "holy grail" of collectables, correct? at least that's what i'm told.
anyway, if the AWB isn't renewed, will there be more AR15A3's?
if so, won't the current "holy grails" be just another rifle?
let's say for a second, the AWB is not renewed, and the AR is made with all the evil features again, then what?
what about other rifles? such as my colt carbine? will it still hold somewhat of its value?
what if? what if? what if?
i know, i know, i'm thinking about it too much.
but really, what do you think about the high end rifles?
take care all,
cc
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Gazing into my crystal ball...
There's no way to know until it happens.
I doubt Colt will mark ARs as such. They are too PC for that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
All the "pre-bans" may end up like the Pre-'64 Winchesters are now. Winchester still makes the Model 70 but the pre-'64's bring a premium. Colt may(but I wouldn't hold my breath)make more AR15A3's for civillian sale but the ones made before the AWB would be worth more because they were "original" and not "new" like the "post-post ban" guns.  LOL, now there's a cool thing to think about-"Post-post Ban", man will that be a nice thing to hear.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind they [Colt] had a sear block AND made "post ban" configured rifles BEFORE the AWB. I stick to my guns: No Colt will have any value unless it is a historical/collector weapon & one marked "AR-15" would be such a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If the ban sunsets, I don't think many manufacturers will change much of anything.  All the tooling for post-ban barrels will stay the same except, perhaps, for the addition of a flash hider/threaded barrel which is certainly more useful than a bayonet lug.  Collapsible stocks will probably come back too.  

Additionally, I think that if the ban sunsets, there will be a huge demand for hi-cap mags of all types.  Even then being "legal" the demand will outrun supply and keep their price up, at least for a while.  

Stay tuned, we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the ban sunsets, I don't think many manufacturers will change much of anything.  All the tooling for post-ban barrels will stay the same except, perhaps, for the addition of a flash hider/threaded barrel which is certainly more useful than a bayonet lug. [red] utillity be damned... people will require a bayonet lug. Some for military replicas, some because they couldn't for the past 10 years.[/red] Collapsible stocks will [s]probably[/s] [red]obviously[/red] come back too.  

Additionally, I think that if the ban sunsets, there will be a huge demand for hi-cap mags of all types.  Even then being "legal" the demand will outrun supply and keep their price up, at least for a while.  [red]Agreed.[/red]  

Stay tuned, we'll see.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Most people have high cap mags now anyway, so why would the demand suddenly out pace supply?
There is no problem getting most differnt makes of hi cap now....doesnt ever seem to have been.
I just hope the mags will be of high quality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most people have high cap mags now anyway, so why would the demand suddenly out pace supply?
There is no problem getting most differnt makes of hi cap now....doesnt ever seem to have been.
I just hope the mags will be of high quality.
View Quote

HK mags.
Can the USGI mags be surplussed? I don't doubt whoever has the dies will be cranking them out for the public, regardless.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If the AWB sunsets, will we be able to legally own mags that are marked LE/military, or will we have to wait for new ones that don't have any markings?

I'd love to get my hands on some of the HK steel mags, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
LEO mags would be fine. As would rifles, I imagine...

USGI mags would be unlikely to be sold as surplus. I think there was an executive order under Clinton that such mags be destroyed. Unlikely that it would change much though I am sure some would pop up for sale via various channels. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong.

Myself, I can't wait. I have a long list of goodies!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
There will still be people willing to pay to much for a Colt. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That'd be me. They build a better rifle.[peep]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That'd be me. They build a better rifle.[peep]
View Quote

You mean, they build a better AR. Springfield builds a better rifle. (M1A)

(ducking and running for cover)
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#13]
drjarhead

That'd be me.  
View Quote

Me too. I've still got about 5 on my list to get yet to have a well rounded collection of Colts.

64 SP1
Gov't Model Carbine
9mm Carbine
AR15A3

make that 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top