Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2003 6:20:15 PM EDT
I'm headed for Basic Training in 2 weeks, and I'm going to visit my brother in NY tomorrow. I told him he could borrow my AR while I was gone. But as I'm packing it's things (ammo, mags, CLP, cleaning supplies), I'm not so sure I can let it go. Can anyone give me some words of inspiration?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADcApQWtU*1cd8k5!cyug4P*FynM5HoAyPOxDl6sEa35aiRTuJzFaIvZrc*tW0pGIiy7jalN2MWNohSvyTOnMn15HqPOD7QEJIrdgI9MUi4cRV06nlhcw/P1010004.jpg
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The words I live by (I have a large family).

Never lend money or belongings to relatives unless you are fully prepared to live without that money or item.

Probably not what you were looking for but generally things don't go well when ever I have let relatives borrow things.

If I consider it a gift and they pay me back then it always works out great.

Think of what might happen when you get back and for some reason the AR that you remember is now thrashed or gone. If you can handle that situation with out any ill feelings then everything will be okay.

I'll stop there maybe someone will give you better inspiration.

Have a good time in basic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My Rifle: The Creed of a US Marine
by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)
(written following the attack on Pearl Harbor)

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
View Quote

So... which branch did you sign with?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The pain of not having your own personal property rifle with you will be compensated for by having an issued rifle to use and care for, which is FULLY AUTOMATIC, or at least have a 3 round burst mode.

This is reasonable compensation for the relatively brief separation from your loved one.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just think about the M16A2 that will be issued to you in two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys. I joined the Army, and Basic is at Fort Leonard Wood. Anyone know what kind of weather I should expect from October into December?

I've been trying to think of the M16A2 as compensation, but somehow it's just not the same. I bought it in May too, and just got a .22 conversion unit for it last weekend at the gunshow, so the new-gun excitement hasn't even quite worn off yet.

Ridge, you may have cost my bro an AR with those words. [>:/]
I have to agree with you there, I can just imagine getting it back with the finish all marked up. But then again, when I was younger, he let me borrow his .243 for deer season a few times. It's a tough call, I'll take it and see what happens though. I think there's a fairly good chance he'll even turn down the opportunity that I offered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck if you get more than a couple 3 rnd bursts fired through training. I have been shooting with ex military that never shot an M16 other than with a 22lr semi kit installed.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations for joining the military.  I would let your brother hang on to your weapon until you get you get through training or until you find out what duty station you are going to.  Then you can make arraingments on getting the weapon back and storing it at the base armory.

As for you leaving your favorite weapon home, the Army will lend you one for the duration of your enlistment.  You'll get to play with different type of weapons depending on you MOS.  You might even get an M4.

Anyway, good luck to you.

26yrs US Army retired master gunner.  Hoooaahhhh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
wow, thats the same dilemma i'm having!! (pending paperwork; I was already supposed to have left! but S happens!)

i wouldn't let anybody I personally know borrow either my ARs, or any of my guns! (short of anybody here on ARFCOM[:D])  but not because of misuse/abuse!

my AR ain't turning into no safe queen while i'm away! (like its not already [rolleyes])

but back on topic..  

think of the M16A2, and think of all the fun you'll now have!  think of bayoneting dolls (i can't wait for that!) and all thoes cool push-ups! also think of shooting the M203 with practce rounds, and throwing dummy grenades.  think of all that dry-firing and gun cleaning!
jk..  have fun man!!

as for sending personal guns to a military base.. does the corp allow it?  you have to go offbase to a public range to shoot right??  someone told me that private weapons in the military is a nono, but i've also heard otherwise, and now i know otherwise (at least for the army).. but hows about the corp?? do they allow it??

hey, good luck and have fun!

edited to make myself sound less idiotic. (yes i know, i'm an idiot)
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Going to Ft. Leonard wood in Missouri during the winter.  Expect Cool to Cold to real Cold.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...does the corp allow it?  you have to go offbase to a public range to shoot right??  
View Quote

In the Corps, you can store personal firearms in your unit armory or in your base housing (if married). You will have to register them with PMO to bring them on base. Depending on location, MWR may have a recreational range (i.e. MCB Camp Lejeune, 29 Palms) on base for you to use. Hunting opportunities are usually pretty good on base as well.

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless you like everyone being touchy feely with your personal weapons DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE UNIT A.O.!
One solution that worked best for me was to rent a storage unit off post and pay for a year at a time...No one but you has access that way and no one can tell you at their whim wether you can SIGN YOUR personal weapon out of the arms room.

Greg
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Choose your friends well, and you can store them at their house too. I've got five extras in my safe right now! And I've stored at friend's houses as well.

Later on in your career, on MC installations (MCAS's, MCB's, etc.) base regulation currently allow batchelor Staff NCOs (E-6 and up) and Officers to keep their personal firearms in their quarters at the BSQ/BOQ. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case where the Corps is a tenant command, (Navy bases, etc.)

As far as storage units, be careful. They usually aren't as secure as you might hope.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
PA452

When do you leave for BCT?  I'm at the University of Missouri-Rolla right outside FLW.  Expect the weather to be pretty cool, but not totally freezing during the time frame you specified.  FLW is nice, but I'm quite sure you won't think so while you're here[:D]

IM me if you want more details of BCT and FLW.

Redleg
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck if you get more than a couple 3 rnd bursts fired through training. I have been shooting with ex military that never shot an M16 other than with a 22lr semi kit installed.

View Quote
Never saw that before in the military, especially on the firing line. I can't speak for other branches but in the Corps we fire plenty of rounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never even seen a .22 conversion kit installed! [;D]Maybe it's something sailors tell their dates...
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. I joined the Army, and Basic is at Fort Leonard Wood. Anyone know what kind of weather I should expect from October into December?

Dude.......You're gonna be in God's country, forget about the bitterly cold, nasty, unpredictable weather. When you finally get the chance just look around, and make a firm commitment to move to that area someday.

You'll have great hunting, great neighbors, beautiful countryside, some really good fishing and canooing, lax firearms laws(concealed carry just passed...HOOORAH!!!), and some great vacationing. Hell....with Missourri in existance I'm surprised Kalifornia has people left.....must not have heard where the real action is:o))).

In the meantime....good luck in the service....fire a few mags for me!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Oct-Dec, you'll be pretty cold and wet. Late January thru February is when the real fun would start (Ice Storms).

Great area around FLW! Enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top