Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2003 12:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2003 12:13:25 PM EDT by jlink]
I am going to buy a new M4 Bushmaster soon. I have been doing some reading on this site for the past 3-4 days, and I keep coming across horror stories about the Loudness, and loss of bullet velocity due to the Fixed Y comp that comes with the Gun. Here is my question..
Is it worth the time/effort to have an M4 specially built with this Upper found at this link? http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b16m4.asp
The Part is PURA2B 16M4. I got this idea from another post, I don't remember that persons name sorry.
How loud is the gun? Use a scale of 1-10, ten being the loudest gun you ever heard.
I hope I am not asking stupid questions, but I thought before I spend the cash I would bring my little dilemma before the Experts.
Any help or suggestions Will be greatly appreciated.
Jlink
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:43:58 PM EDT
I haven't fired this gun, but I do have some experience with how loud it is. I was at the range the other day with my Rock River Arms upper M4(fake Flash Hider that does nothing, basically a regular barrel with nothing on the end). Halfway through my time there I was getting ready to shoot when someone opened up 7 bays down with me with something LOUD. I put my rifle down and stepped back to note that it was an AR. I figured someone had an AR that was for a different caliber. Went down to take a look while this guy was reloading and found it was a bushmaster with the mini-y comp. I woudn't say it was the loudest gun I've ever heard, but it was probably twice as loud as mine. From reading other posts on the board, I would go with a different comp or none at all. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:47:48 PM EDT
It is worth the time/effort to get the 16" M4 upper. But better yet is the lightweight rifle [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x16sl.asp[/url] no annoying blast, its even lighter, and its just as accurate. Or you can do what many of us do. Buy a complete lower from your FFL - then order an upper 'custom built'. You could order a flattop with the lightweight barrel for example.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:57:04 PM EDT
I love my bushy m4 with the miny y comp,but it is very loud, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 10 for loudness also a 10 for effectiveness,it is a love hate thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:57:31 PM EDT
I'd purchased a bushy A2 shorty, than added Car stock and brake, all postban configuration.[:)] [IMG]http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/TMO-Member-Favorite-Battle-Rifles/TGbushyM4.jpg[/IMG] It has beed 100% dependable. TG
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:03:15 PM EDT
Not to make things more difficult, if I were to build another carbine from ground up, i would seriously consider a mid length carbine. Armalite and Rock river makes those and the advantage of lower impulse on the gas will definitely make a enhance carbine which is most likely the wave of the future. for the past thirteen years I have been shooting a variation of the M4, I am going to a mid length for my next build.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
I have the Bushmaster M-4 type A-2 rifle, and mine is in stock condition. I have one suggestion if you are looking for an excellent AR-15 type rifle, 'buy it'. And wear ear plugs in any configuration. It is an excellent tactical rifle in every regard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:18:08 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies. I am having my M4 built with that Upper that I mentioned above. If anyone is interested in the part# of the whole gun is PCWA2X16M4. That will build you an M4 Carbine w/o Y Comp that cause the loudness. jlink
Top Top