Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 5:29:02 AM EDT
hey guys, I have a DPMS low pro 16' Carbine that's real front heavy, I want to get a gunsmith to flute my barrel but before I do I need to know something.  Does getting your barrel fluted negatively effect accuracy?

1 more question:  Does a gas block have any accuracy advantages over a standard front sight?

thx
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If anything a fluted bbl. will be more accurate because the flutes make it stiffer and help keep it cool. That's not to say it'll turn a bbl. that shoots into a wash tub into a sub-MOA bbl. but if you have a bbl. that shoots good it'll shoot as good or better with flutes.  Hope this has been some help, talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Fluting the barrel will increase the rate of cooling, as it has less mass and more surface area.

It will heat up very slightly faster, as it has less mass to absorb the heat.

It will NOT be stiffer than it was before.  It will be slightly stiffer than a simple round barrel of the same total weight.

The Low Pro has a very heavy barrel, and if you just want to lighten it,by all means, do so.  I doubt you will see much change in accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Free Man is correct, fluting does increase rate of cooling, rate of heating, but does not increase strength.  He stated it correctly that it will be stiffer than a barrel of same weight but not of same diameter.  If you really want to get into physics, you can calculate all the numbers but you will be back at the conclusion that a fluted barrel compared to a round barrel of same diameter is less strong.  The simple explaination can be that mass of fluted barrel is less than round barrel with equal diameter.  Fluting however "moves" mass into a way that is stronger for the same weight.  Even though you are starting with a thicker barrel, you are ending with the same amount of material as a round barrel with smaller diameter and fluted barrel will have the material arranged to brace the barrel.  Fluting does have one drawback if not done correctly.  If flutes are too deep or not exactly paralel to barrel then you could end up with a blow out in one of the flutes.  If you are heading towards this, go with a reputable machinist that has much experience in this area.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top