Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2003 5:05:48 PM EDT
I already have a Ceiner conversion with the 30 round mag, along with an stripped upper. I want to poor boy this project, partly for the fun of it, but mostly because I am monetarily challenged.

I am sure I can get a shot out barrel cheap. I have access to free skilled labor and a gunsmith's metal shop. Is there any reason that I can't reline a shot-out barrel with a .22 cal sleeve and create my own dedicated upper?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and guidance.

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:16:01 PM EDT
Don’t know. However, I’ll tell you this – those doggone Colt 4150 AR barrels are hard!! I milled out a cross section of the chamber area of one a few years ago for a training aid and it was quite a job!! I’ve really got to think drilling out a barrel would be a task. Plus, I assume you’d have to sleeve the original chamber separately. Maybe a 4140 barrel would be easier to work. Personally, I’d think it’d be easier to start out with a .22 blank and take it from there. Still, I can certainly understand the monetarily challenged issue!! Incidentally, if you don’t get better responses than mine for your question [:D] , you might try posting this in the rimfire forum. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:30:39 PM EDT
Yes. A friend of mine did it, and he tells me the thing works fine, though I have never fired it. He drilled out the original barrel to about 30 caliber or so and then sleeved it with a 22LR barrel liner. The sleeve/tube is removable like the tube sets you see in high dollar skeet shotguns.
Top Top