Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2003 4:37:44 PM EDT
Anyone ever heard of Socom Manufacturing company? I just found them online and I was thouroughly impressed with their products. They make receivers (upper and lower) for the AR15 and they are damn good looking. The lowers start out as a 7 pound solid billet of high strenght aluminum and are cnc machined down to exact specs. No castings and no chance of buying a lemon. Each receiver is apparently tested before it ships and has a lifetime no BS warranty. Now to the looks, wow. The lower looks just like it should, a piece of machined billet with crisp edges and clean, polished surfaces. The upper is side cocking much like a FN FAL (L1A1) and is shaped somewhat like a Stoner SR-25 rifle. I am simply amazed and am totally willing to spend the extra money on this if it has good reputation. So here is my question: Anyone had any experience with these receivers or this company for that matter. They are extremely small and apparently this is and early run of their receivers. Oh did I mention that it has a built in to the receiver trigger adjustment so no $200 JP needed. Please tell me someone has good news so I won't feel bad about writing a check and ordering one of these bad boys for my next build. Their website is www.socommfg.com, but please no body else buy any so I can get mine first, lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:54:51 PM EDT
WHOA Those are REALLY nice! I know nothing about them though...
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:08:07 PM EDT
That was my first reaction. It may not be that good looking in the white on their website, but I saw one on another website that was slightly polished (scratches removed) and silver anodized. It was truly amazing. The same guy, don't ask me who I cant find the website again, had three other ones in OD green, Black, Red, Blue, Dark Purple, Gold, that Silver, and another color I can't remember. All were truly amazing. My build is going to go as follows. Polished upper and lower with a clear anodize, stainless barrel, and all black furniture. I'm either going to do that or have it anodized blue and have a design engraved so that it will turn up blue with silver engraving lines. I hope to put a Springfield Armory 56mm lense on it and a fulton armory bipod, if they still have some. Thinking about 22" with 2" extra wide diameter muzzle brake. I'll post some pics but it may be a while before I'll have enough money to do this right. I'm going to have to sell a couple other ARs to finance this one but I figure it will be one custom mothafucka like none other built. I like that angular upper instead of the shitty casting jobs by other places. I would buy a Stoner for that reason alone, the accuracy would be a plus.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:09:55 PM EDT
I have recently bought a SOCOM lower and they are really top notch quality. If you buy one you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:30:07 PM EDT
I live right across the river from SOCOM, and have done business with them for years. It's one hell of a nice receiver, and SOCOM will stand behind it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:33:23 PM EDT
Not a whole lot of info on that web sight is there? Says they deal in a bunch of stuff, but all I could find links on were the side cocking receiver and something about a mod to what looks like an older heavy machinegun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:08:14 PM EDT
Ask Striker, and Hadaway: [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17213[/img] [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=171276]]Not a shotgun but...[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:21:30 PM EDT
They are currently working on the conversions to turn a MAC into a large full sized machine gun. The name on the conversion is one their web site. They also to the closet to factory conversion of Glock pistols to select-fire that I have ever seen. There is a year wait on those so I wouldn't get in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:16:08 PM EDT
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be sending a check tomarrow for a set of those bad mammajamma receivers. I told a friend about it yesterday and he is willing to buy one for $1300 using the Socom receivers and various other custom parts. I like some of the stuff that Fulton Armory offers but some of it is rediculously priced. I would like to put one of these "anschutz" style stocks on my AR- you know the one with all the adjustments and moveable weights. This is going to be a serious bench gun and varmint gun so I'm going to fork over the extra cash for the Kreiger barrel. Anybody know where I can a monsterous muzzle brake like on the Armalite AR50? I would like to put one like that (obviously not quite that big) on this gun. I was also thinking about making this a .308 gun. I know a machinist that makes some of those or I could probably find some on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2003 8:26:10 PM EDT by DevL]
Just so you know those are not any stronger than a standard forged reciever. If I am not mistaken if its just billet and not forged they are weaker than a standard AR as far as wear is concerned. Some aftermarket parts wont fit and its unnecessary weight. The only advantage is the custom trigger (can you swap a better on in if you want?) and the look. Edited to add: you also open up the internal components to the elements. Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 1:55:10 AM EDT
The upper is $250 and the lower is $300. I saw that $1300 number up top and was blown away. Are these really worth double what others are going for?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:35:28 AM EDT
Got 2 and love them both, never haf a problem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:04:56 AM EDT
Upper $200, Lower $300, Kreiger brl $200, "Anschutz"style stock $250, Carbon Fiber handgaurds $120, tactical/target style grip $60, and parts kit $52 brings you to $1200 right there without a bipod. Some things can probably be had for less than listed price but those are approx. retail price for them. Like I said before, this will be a serious bench rest only gun so there will be no need to worry about the elements that much as I will be cleaning it thoroughly after every trip to the range. I also dont plan any CQB or sniper missions so that is just not a worry for me. I have a M4 and a 20", both able to accept my surefire laser/light combo so I am not worried about the praticality issue except for putting single ragged holes in paper and blowing the heads off of prairie dogs and gophers. About the strength issue, this aluminum has been heat treated and rockwell tested to I believe 55-58. That is pretty damn strong so I'm not going to worry about it wearing out because if it does, I'll send it back and get a new one using the lifetime warranty.
Top Top