Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 7:57:39 PM EDT

I bought a gun show parts kit for an AR I'm building (first time build) and I may have to do some minor tweaking to get it right.
I've heard that some gun parts come specially treated/harded and coated from the factory to keep them from wearing out quickly and rusting, is this the case with AR parts?  Will doing a little custom fitting(grinding)hurt the parts and/or shorten their lifespan?  

Thanks for any help

P.S.  Is it common to have to tweak some parts when building an AR or should they just fall into place?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a favor and get a lower parts kit from DPMS,RockRiver or bushmaster.You shouldnt have to tweak AR parts to fit.If they dont fit they are out of spec and should not be used especialy just to save a few bucks.And depending on what you are grinding I suposed you could get a part hot enough to damage the heat treatment in that area.Get good quality parts that dont need fitting.I know match triggers and hammers some times need to be fit as well as oversized parts I use in my 1911s.If they are just standard parts get a good set of parts from a reputable company.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You shouldn't have to play with it, to give you an example, I had a Oly lower that would not lock in a mag when the upper was on (oly said it was not out of spec just made for one of their own uppers) my choice? either file my upper to match in that it would only fit this lower or pay oly to replace it with another, A long story short, my new lower will be delivered this week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
RUSTING?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]

****RUSTING?****

Yea, what was I thinking, Aluminum doesn't rust, should have said corroding.  Whatever the case, it's a problem solved, I order BM parts last night and will try to return the "bum" ones.

Thanks for responding and bringing me back to my senses!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
P.S.  Is it common to have to tweak some parts when building an AR or should they just fall into place?
View Quote

No its not common - and it should not be needed if you're using quality parts.

However if you buy crap and have to modify them to work - I wouldn't be expecting a long and/or reliable life from them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
RUSTING?
View Quote

Yes, Rusting is correct depending on the parts being talked about. Not all parts of an AR are aluminum or plastic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My only build that require major tweaking for it to work properly was when I was using a Hesse lower.

that pretty much says it all [puke]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top