Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2003 5:38:42 PM EDT
Well, I finally managed to trade in the Ruger Redhawk .41mag that's been sitting in my safe for 12 years. Funny thing is, I traded it to the guy that I bought my first RRA A4 from. Should've asked him sooner.

On the way (once he orders it in Monday): A RRA M4 flat top upper, chrome lining option and Wilson brake. The trade should come out to less than $100. I don't even have numbers on the bill of sale yet since he won't know the final price until he orders. I'll make due without the lower for now. I have accepted my fate and realize that a new upper always leads to a new lower (and vice-versa). I'll let nature take it's course....

Anybody with an idea for how long RRA is taking these days ? I'm expecting a couple of months though... [>(]

On a little side note - gun shows sure aren't much of a bargain. I finally found a pretty good deal, albeit a small one. Adventure line mag, 90%+ finish, $12 out the door. New green follower and I'm a happy guy. The only other thing that caught my eye was a case of Q3131A for $168 and a CETME for $349. I've kinda been ogling those guns lately.

[Edited to add]: Hopefully it'll come in before Christmas so I can put accessories on my Christmas list. A M4 upper without accessories is just plain. well. it's just not right.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
before you buy a CETME you should check out the CETME & FR8 forum on www.gunboards.com

I bought two, and ended up getting my money back on both beacuse of serious problems. The original CETMEs these parts came from were fine rifles, the precursor to the HK91, before they were imported by Century Arms, but since they are not allowed to import the receivers, they manufactured their own. I will tell you their receivers, in general, are an out-of-spec abomination. If you enjoy home gunsmithing, these may be for you, but if you want a rifle that works out of the box, be wary.

Ohio Rapidfire will take Century CETMEs and work all the bugs out, when possible, I think they charge about $200. You might get lucky and get one that is in spec, but Century Arms adjusts the headspace when they build them by grinding down the bolt - eventually you will have problems. These rifles are built from used parts, and sold as "new" because the receiver and barrel are new. Ask the guys on the gunboards.com  CETME forum what kind of problems they had - and what is needed to fix them - before you buy - it might save you some frustration.

I would again buy a rifle that was only IMPORTED by Century, But I will never again buy a rifle where Century International Arms has manufactured a major component that cannot be easily replaced. If you think monkeys can't use tools - you haven't seen their shop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain.
You should see me waiting when I order something, I can hear the UPS truck at six blocks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would again buy a rifle that was only IMPORTED by Century, But I will never again buy a rifle where Century International Arms has manufactured a major component that cannot be easily replaced. If you think monkeys can't use tools - you haven't seen their shop.
View Quote

Yeah - If I were going to buy one at the gun show, I would have my feeler gauges with me to check headspace and look for signs of bolt-grindage. That's one reason I haven't bought one. From what I've read (Perro's CETME forum, I think ?), the receivers are actually not that bad. Either way - it's would be a dicey purchase. Thankfully, I found a M4 upper to spend my money on.

For now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top