Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2003 4:56:30 AM EDT
I would like to attach a bipod to my AR15 A2 HBAR. I prefer to attach it to the handguard, but I am not sure what would work best. As you know, the round handguard is relatively thin, has big holes all along the bottom side, and there also is the thin heat shield to contend with.

What bipod and/or method of attachment would you recommend?

Thanks!

Alex
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
a Harris........!!

there are many different configs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Harris has an adapter (#6 I believe) designed for exactly this purpose, and works great with their bipods.

-Troy
View Quote

Abolutely right, and given that the bipods are in regular use by both the US and Israeli military (and probably others as well), you know they're a quality product.

Just to top it off, if you ever have a problem with one of their products, give them a call and you'll get fast and really friendly help.

Several years ago I got a really hare brained idea for modifying one of their mounts, and ended up breaking one of the tabs that go thru the mounting bracket.  Purely my own fault for over stressing a hardened part. When I called them, the lady who answered said they'd me a new one w/o charge, even tho I had stressed that the goof was mine, and not a product defect. Three days later I recieved, not only a new tab, but a whole new assembly, for a bipod I'd had for over 20 years.

That's what I call customer service[:D]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Harris it will be then. I have two Versapods for other rifles, and I like them fine, but always wanted to try a Harris. Now I have a good reason to get one!

Thanks -

Alex
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the Harris bi-pod with handguard adapter.

[img]http://home.quixnet.net/~mcress/angle.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I found this one on two websites, described as Harris No.5 for AR15. Is this the one?
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p3632fc63647e193ae5d72904a579738f/fb07dfe8.jpg[/img]
Thanks again -
Alex
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found this one on two websites, described as Harris No.5 for AR15. Is this the one?
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p3632fc63647e193ae5d72904a579738f/fb07dfe8.jpg[/url]
Thanks again -
Alex
View Quote

That is the one I'm using.  Couldn't remember the number.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
First of all I don't like bipods but that was not your question.

There are some old spring loaded, clip on bipods made by Colt still floating around.  They weight just a few ounces, are spring-loaded and just clip onto the barrel.  Mounting and dismounting takes a couple seconds.  One of my picks with pods is that they are still 'hanging' around when you don't want to use them.

My .01.

5sub
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First of all I don't like bipods but that was not your question.

There are some old spring loaded, clip on bipods made by Colt still floating around.  They weight just a few ounces, are spring-loaded and just clip onto the barrel.  Mounting and dismounting takes a couple seconds.  One of my picks with pods is that they are still 'hanging' around when you don't want to use them.

My .01.

5sub
View Quote

Yeah, but they only fit original M16 and M16A1 barrels, they mount on the barrel portion under the front sight, and thus change your point of impact, and they gouge the hell out of the finish on the barrel where they clip on. Had one on the closet shelf for about 20 years now.

Apart from all that, they're fine[;D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top