Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2003 7:46:40 AM EDT
Everyone is discussing what evil features that they would like to buy if/when AWB expires. But I have the opposite question.

I like bare muzzles (no threads, no brakes, no flash hiders). If/when the AWB goes away, will AR manfs (especially Bushmaster, my favorite) still be producing bare barrels with no threads ? I would expect this to happen with varmint barrels easily - but what about the 16" LW, 16" HBAR, and 20" HBAR - will these still be produced with no threads ?

As a side question - How common were plain-muzzle barrels in 16" and 20" before 1994 ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:47:52 AM EDT
There were non except for target barrels before the ban and it will return to the same after the ban is gone...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:56:20 AM EDT
If smart they will discount the "postban" weapons & barrels now to make room for the "Properly configured" equipment. I suppose that there will nonetheless be some left over if they don't sell them & they might do them on a custom order basis. Regardless, your tastes put you in an advantageous position as people with post ban barrels seeking "Properly configured" replacements will likely sell practically new barrels for a great price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:32:02 AM EDT
How hard would it be for them to just thread all the postban barrels they have? Or am I missing something. I guess these wouldn't have a bayo lug. Maybe they'd sell those at a discount [:D]. Great question G35, I like the plain barrels too for my varmint rig(easier to clean). But I don't really need a primo high dollar target barrel. FWIW you can get threaded collars (thread protectors) for an AR that would make the barrel look plain again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:51:49 AM EDT
As long as NY state has a threaded barrel as a defining characteristic of an AW in the [u]state[/u] AW ban, there will continue to be a need for plain barrels. [:(] On Nov 1st 2000, this state regurgitated the federal ban into state law, except for the sunset clause.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:45:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2003 3:45:10 PM EDT by Carbine_Man]
Originally Posted By G35: I like bare muzzles (no threads, no brakes, no flash hiders).
View Quote
That's a great question, and you're not alone in liking plain-end barrels. I'm very sceptical of the utility of flash hiders, and I think both MB's and FH's look ugly. I think market forces will dictate that plain-end barrels will continue to be offered, both for poor pathetic states like NY (sorry, you poor New Yorkers, I feel for ya,) and for folks like us. I've gotta believe that they're cheaper to make and give us compulsive AR-15 buyers more options, which is always good. JMHO, C_M
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:25:14 PM EDT
But the real question is.....Are they going to do away with the Ban? For some reason I don't think so, but I pray they do.
Top Top