Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 9:52:10 PM EDT
Has anyone had an upper or lower redone by them, I may have my lower redone and was wondering how they come out.. John
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
dpms does refinishing.  nice [b]black[/b]teflon.

lauer custom weaponry also does refinishing.  i've had them refinish 2 lowers this year.  fast turnaround!

both can be found in the Industry forums.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I had Norrell arms do my Oly in his socom black and it came out fine. I wanted to get a true anodize finish on this lower. Bushmaster says it is the same finish as their new lowers, just wanted to see if anyone had it done by them. Price is reasonable but turnaround is slow, but I am waiting on a form 1 anyway so no big deal.. Just want a good color match when I order the short upper.. John
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I contacted Bushy years ago about My pre-ban purple lower.
they referred me to a place in Florida that wanted big bucks to re-anodize.

I'd love to get it re-anodized, but I'm a cheapskate.
I heard a horror story about a guy who sent his pre-ban off to get re-anodized, they left it in the tank too long and ruined it.

I'm not interested in the spray on/bake moly kote stuff that everybodys doing now. Too soft,  scratches easily
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I agree on the bake on stuff, My Oly looks REALLY good but it does scratch. Had to close my eyes and pull the trigger on the can of Break Free powderblast I used to clean the lower with after alot of cheap ammo. Didnt hurt the finish but I thought itd blow the coating right off. Now I have a safe  queen for sure cause when you scratch the coating it looks REALLY bad. Thanks for the heads up!!  John
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Inferno,

Does your Lauer Duracoat hold up pretty well?  gmt says Norrell's scratches, but the Duracoat guns I have handled looked tough as nails.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
the duracoat seems to be holding up.  it's a preban oly lower that had bare aluminum showing when i got it.  $45 to refinish.  i've put around 700rds though it and don't notice any wear at all.  it's black as night too.  IMHO it's more durable than the dpms teflon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Ive been emailing them back and forth for 2 days all I need to do is call for a RMA # and they will refinish. Takes 4 to 6 weeks, I dont know if they farm it out but they said specfically it was the SAME finish as their new lowers.. John
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ive been emailing them back and forth for 2 days all I need to do is call for a RMA # and they will refinish. Takes 4 to 6 weeks, I dont know if they farm it out but they said specfically it was the SAME finish as their new lowers.. John
View Quote

That's interesting,  Who at Bushmaster do I need to talk to.

I've been wanting to get My Purple Barney gun re-anodized for years.

What's an RMA # ?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I contacted Bushy years ago about My pre-ban purple lower.
they referred me to a place in Florida that wanted big bucks to re-anodize.

I'd love to get it re-anodized, but I'm a cheapskate.
I heard a horror story about a guy who sent his pre-ban off to get re-anodized, they left it in the tank too long and ruined it.

I'm not interested in the spray on/bake moly kote stuff that everybodys doing now. Too soft scratches easily
View Quote

The reason that it is expensive is that it is a batch flat rate.  It cost the same to do one or several receivers per batch.  The more receivers involved per order, the cheaper it is per receiver.  That is what newarguy and his friends did and it came out to $75 per receiver, IIRC.  It is the same company that does them for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Do the BMs upper or lowers still come in that purple or do they have that problem fixed?

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do the BMs upper or lowers still come in that purple or do they have that problem fixed?

View Quote

Mine's about 10 years old.
They were in a rush to build them before the 94 ban.
It's a good quality forged lower, it's just a bit purple.

They've been black for many years.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the duracoat seems to be holding up.  it's a preban oly lower that had bare aluminum showing when i got it.  $45 to refinish.  i've put around 700rds though it and don't notice any wear at all.  it's black as night too.  IMHO it's more durable than the dpms teflon.
View Quote

Good to hear.  I have two uppers that I want to refinish to match the preban Colt grey.  I spoke with Steve Lauer at the Shot Show and the NRA show in Orlando and he said it was as easy to do as spray painting.  They sell the degreaser  -just break it down, degrease, spray it on, heat it a little if you want it to cure faster, or let it dry at normal temp and it takes a couple of weeks to fully cure.

What Steve told me about Norrell's is this:  if you don't heat it enough it doesn't cure hard enough and scratches easily (sounds like what happened to yours); if you heat it just right it is a good finish;  if you heat it too much it gets too hard and brittle and can "break off" or something to that effect.

What he said is so good about his Duracoat is that it cures without heat.  It just takes longer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top