Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 7:31:40 AM EDT
Is their anyplace in the U.S. that I can buy a Canadian Diemaco C8 barrel? I already know I can get Diemaco uppers, but the barrel seems to be the hard part. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If there was, I would have one already.[:(]  
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats the difference between the C8 and USGI barrel?

The Cheat
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whats the difference between the C8 and USGI barrel?
View Quote
I believe Diemaco barrels are hammer forged.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Who's got Diemaco A2 type uppers? Anybody?  I aasume when you post "C8" you're talking about flat tops, but I'm condidering building up a carry handle version C7 clone. I know that bothe Bushie and DPMS put out a version, but if I'm going to build one I'd prefer an original, if I can find one[:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who's got Diemaco A2 type uppers?
View Quote

Does Diemaco even make A2-type uppers?  The Canadians only use an A1 style on the C7 and a flat-top on the C7A1 and the C8.

Maybe they make some for export?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's got Diemaco A2 type uppers?
View Quote

Does Diemaco even make A2-type uppers?  The Canadians only use an A1 style on the C7 and a flat-top on the C7A1 and the C8.

Maybe they make some for export?
View Quote

I knew that. It's just that I refuse to call anything w/a hump on it an A1. Hmmm.  How about A1 1/2?[:D]

BTW, if the base model is the C7, and the flat top is C7A1, then what the heck is a C8?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Bottom of this page; [url=groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/whatisana1a2a3ora4.msnw]What is an A1, A2, A3, or A4?[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Instead of cutting the rifling and the cutting the chamber seperate necessary for making a barrel, Diemaco use Cold hammer forge process which are basically taking a barrel blank they insert a rod with rifling and chamber cut into it(cost something like 20,000 per rod) and this heavy duty hammer machine beat the barrel blank into the basic shape of the barrel. I believe the difference from start to finish is something like 10 to 1.  don't quote me on this.  anyway, the rifling and the chamber are formed during this process and then final machining, chrome lining and finish are to complete the barrel for shipping.  this makes a very accurate barrel.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/diemaco.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
C8 = Canadian name for M4

Troy

View Quote

Troy,
Forest lists the C8 as a C7 with a M4 barrel, are you saying a C8 is a flat-top?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be pretty awesome if Diemaco(or anybody) made a removable A1-style carry handle for flat-top uppers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It would be pretty awesome if Diemaco(or anybody) made a removable A1-style carry handle for flat-top uppers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
C7 is the rifle version, there is a C7 and a C7FT has the flat top.

C8 is the carbine version, there is C8, C8FT and C8FTHB.  C8FT has a flat top and the C8FTHB has the flat top and a heavy barrel.

There is also the SFW model, I am not sure what are the major difference, but seems like they have the same barrel and the flat top configuration but the SFW has the RAS handguard on them.

There are more varients but this is the main product line.

Maybe KevinB can help us Yankees out a bit. :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Chen, you suck [:P]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
C8 = Canadian name for M4

Troy

View Quote

Troy,
Forest lists the C8 as a C7 with a M4 barrel, are you saying a C8 is a flat-top?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that an M4 is not a flat top, and that the "M4" that most people are familiar with is the M4A1 (flat top).
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chen, you suck [:P]
View Quote

I second that!  What are you going to tease us with next?  A PEQ2?[;)]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
As a regular force Canadian Army guy I hopefully can help out.  

C7 - 20 inch barrel A1 upper.
C7A1 - 20 inch barrel, flat top with Elcan scope.
C8 - carbine with collapsible stock and A1 upper

Deimaco has other version with different configurations using all kinds of designations but the above is what is issue to the CF.  Now our special people have all kinds of different configurations but that is another story.  Hope this helps

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a regular force Canadian Army guy I hopefully can help out.  

C7 - 20 inch barrel A1 upper.
C7A1 - 20 inch barrel, flat top with Elcan scope.
C8 - carbine with collapsible stock and A1 upper

Deimaco has other version with different configurations using all kinds of designations but the above is what is issue to the CF.  Now our special people have all kinds of different configurations but that is another story.  Hope this helps

Jeff
View Quote

Good grief. You guys have "outvariented" even our own "What's the changeover of the week" Army[:D]

Glad I was in the M1/M14 army.  Don't think I could have kept up w/all the model variations.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
A C8 barrel is not an M4 barrel. The C8 is a 14.5 inch light weight in 1/7, chrome lined and hammer forged. I LOVE THESE BARRELS. To help with this discussion I have included pictures from the Diemaco web page.

C8 Carbine
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8.gif[/img]

C8FT
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8ft.gif[/img]

C8FTHB
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8fthb.gif[/img]

C8SFW
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfw.gif[/img]

And last of all the C7 rifle.
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c7.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
And isn't it interesting that every one of those pics shows a Thermold mag. Somebody up there must still love 'em, just like some of us down here do

(signed) The Thermold Kid [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Those pictures are from their website and have been there A LONG time.

Thermolds arent in use anymore with the Canadians.  KevinB will most likely confirm this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys,

the website is in fact older. most of the stuff there is still made in one form or another. DND I think is using metal mags however Diemaco still sells the Thermolds and metal.

re the bbls. the blank is made from german steel and it is then bored then reamed. the blank is about 18 inches long then as Chen said it is put into the hammer forge. the mandrel is actually about 10,000 bucks to replace. the hammers pound the blank and form the barrel as previously mentioned. the barrel ends up being about 22-23 inches when done then is machined to the finished profiles (depending on gun used).

BTW. the barrels are great for longevity but Diemaco are not the only ones to do this process. FNM do the same thing to their BBls.

you will not likely see the bbls on the market as they only ship them to end users. so if the barrel is out there then some gov't got them and someone internally flogged them off. the receivers are a different story.

Diemaco is making M4 uppers right now as they are licensed by Colt's Mfg and make so of them for Colt. Colt in turn sells the M4's  to what ever market is out there and the guns occasionally get parted out. hence the availablity of uppers. interestingly, Diemaco makes the Ugly M16 LMG which Colt advertises on their website under military stuff.

I tried to link it but their site must be having problems and would bring up the page. if you go to the LMG pics on their MEDIA Section and enlarge it, you will actually see that it is a Diemaco gun not a Colt MFG'd gun.

anyways that some of my 4 cents worth.

ruff

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top