Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 4:48:05 PM EDT
Okay, I want a suppressor, but aside from the given of "coolness factor", what are some practical reasons that you would put on the application for ownership? I live in a rural area if that helps. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Reason # 1: protects the crown/muzzle
reason # 2: less muzzle flash at night
Reason # 3: because the anti gun groups don't want you to have it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some...

Guns are loud!  Having a sound suppressor will lower the chances of permanent hearing damage for you and other people who are nearby while you're shooting.  

The sound suppressor will also lessen the trauma to any gunshy wildlife that are near the shooting range.  

Last but not least the gunfire will be less disturbing to any residences near the shooting range.

Tell the ATF all the above benefits are good for the children...[;)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Like another member here said the other day, "So when I shoot an intruder I won't wake up the kids." [;)]

Seriously, as far as the paperwork goes, just put "For collection and recreation."
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I once wrote:

“So I don’t have to wearing hearing protection while shooting."
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite "For all Legal Purposes"
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously, as far as the paperwork goes, just put "For collection and recreation."
View Quote

Paperwork? What paperwork? We can file paperwork to have a flash suppressor on our postban rifles?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Paperwork? What paperwork? We can file paperwork to have a flash suppressor on our postban rifles?
View Quote
What thread are you reading?  This one is about silencers.  No mention of pre/post ban rifles.  The only mention of flash suppressors is that cans are the best flash hiders you can get.  

Sound suppressors require paperwork and a tax stamp to be legal, and cannot legally be installed on a post-ban rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

The necessary paperwork to posses a sound/flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

SOUND suppressor......I thought about putting "Because i like the way they go PSTTT,PSSTTT,PSSST".....[beer]..........UNDERDOG
edited to add...Dam you men are quick!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
So that I may protect myself and loved ones from a carjacking without sacrificing my/our hearing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
did you know that in Europe that its considered rude to shoot without a suppressor???

well ok... thats just what I heard...   I don't know if thats true for sure....  since I've never been out of USA....

but most of the things that I remember [i]do[/i] come from good sources...  just don't bet money on what I say...
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
did you know that in Europe that its considered rude to shoot without a suppressor???

well ok... thats just what I heard...   I don't know if thats true for sure....  since I've never been out of USA....

but most of the things that I remember [i]do[/i] come from good sources...  just don't bet money on what I say...
View Quote

Yep, I've heard the same thing,But they also eat snails and the chicks don't shave there pits,so it good ole USA for me............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
To save my hearing!!!
   FREE
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
mine says 'all legal purposes' ..it's not signed yet though.  should find out this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll give you a good one with a legal reference:  In UK riflemen are sometimes employed to shoot vermin (foxes, and such), either hired by estates or self-employed 'by the head' (doesn't matter as long as money changes hands).  Hearing loss therefore falls under 'health and safety in the workplace' laws and can result in civil action against the employer unless the employer has taken every reasonable precaution (like ensuring the shooter uses a supppressor).  Since there are no shortage of lawyers in the USA or civil actions, that would seem to be a good reason, even if a land-owner only asked you to shoot a few groundhogs, yotes or similar varmints.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Yojimbo is right,
It is for the children!!!

Mr. L.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Like another member here said the other day, "So when I shoot an intruder I won't wake up the kids."

[ROFL2] [ROFL2] [ROFL2] [ROFL2] [ROFL2] [ROFL2]

Ok, now that I have stopped crying!

That is my new sig line!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep, I've heard the same thing,But they also eat snails and the chicks don't shave there pits,so it good ole USA for me............UNDERDOG
View Quote
But, you're forgetting about all the topless beaches they have there. And, all chicks there are very clean shaved, believe me... [}:D] [0:)]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Same reason I have a muffler on my truck - Noise is annoying, and dangerous to my health.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I would think as others have already suggested that the main benefit would be to lower the noise that the rifle puts out. There by anoying neighbors less and thus receiving less visits from the police. I also think that there could possibly be a balance issue if the right supressor is chosen. It could help or hut depending on how your rifle is set up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks all for the imput...I will be applying shortly and am now wondering if there are any pit-falls to watch for in the process. And, please keep sending the serious suggestions that you would put on your app.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]
wait a minute...
you can't put a can on an AR unless its a preban???
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
wait a minute...
you can't put a can on an AR unless its a preban???
View Quote

unless it is a preban OR doesnt have a pistol grip/detachable mag

read the other suppressor thread
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I like them cause you can shoot in the backyard and basement without the police nocking at your door.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I read somewhere (and i dont have the link, so screw the reliability of my post, lol) anyways. i read somewhere that some FEderal COps or whatever were gettin suppressors cause of OSHA requirements that the noise level of your working environment cant exceed a certain db rating, and that ear protection would get in the way of their duties.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#27]
So I can shoot the black birds off the bird feeder without the neighbors hearing it.  Oh 22lr not .223.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#28]
[b]"PEST CONTROL"[/b]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top