Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 10:46:56 PM EDT
Anyone have one or know of a good place to get one?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want a real one or a knock-off ?

It is possible to get a genuine 40mm M203 (actually, you need to build it from a parts kit - [url]http://www.mr40mm.com/[/url]), but it is classified by BATF as a Destructive Device so you have to do the Federal paperwork and pay the tax stamp ($200). Once approved, you can build your M203 and bolt it on your AR (incidentally, you can follow the same path to build an M-79). One caveat - you can only shoot 40mm training/smoke/marking rounds... the BATF classifies the 40mm frag/HE rounds as individual DDs also, so every round would also require further paperwork and $200 tax.

Your other option is to buy one of the 37mm "M203" copies that are designed to launch commercial flares/bird bombs... not a real M203 but no paperwork and much cheaper (~$200).

Your choice... go nuts !
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Or get those 'stinger' rounds that contains a bunch of .22 rounds, like a big shotgun... or get a masterkey (12ga) for your M4.

It really makes shooting hard, i had a 203 in the military that i hated.  Especially on a jump or indoors
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine they would start making things top heavy after awhile, but it would be nice to have.  Never know when they ban the production of those as well.  What are the stingers your talking about?  Can those be shot out of the m203 knock offs from fire-balls.com?

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I imagine they would start making things top heavy after awhile, but it would be nice to have.  Never know when they ban the production of those as well.  What are the stingers your talking about?  Can those be shot out of the m203 knock offs from fire-balls.com?

View Quote

[url]http://www.mr40mm.com/page18.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If I am not mistaken, you can only mount a M 203/37 mm on a pre ban weapon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering the same thing, but if they are legal to buy online and have them shipped directly to your door, no FFL or CLASS III needed, then I wouldn't think it would matter if it was attached to a post ban or a base ball bat.  I haven't read to law on it yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The tax-stamp free version
[url]37mm.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I am not mistaken, you can only mount a M 203/37 mm on a pre ban weapon.
View Quote

I don't think so...I'm pretty sure that's just is a law in other countries (i.e. California).
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
A grenade launcher is an "evil feature".

Edited to say "How in the hell would you expect these assholes to ban collapsible stocks, pistol grips, & flash suppressors and overlook the launchers? Well, aside from the fact that none of their ideas are logic-based."
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Since the 37mm is NOT a grenade launcher, you can mount it on anything you want.

Second, you can NOT utilize those adapters that allow you to fire .22LR rounds, or any other anti-personnel round, from the 37mm. MAJOR NO-NO!

Frankly, I gave up on the whole 37mm thing simply because there's nothing you can do with it that justifies having it hanging off the front end of your rifle.

Now, a REAL M203....[:P]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been looking into 37mm launchers, too.  

The biggest turn off for me is that no one seems to make an M4 version of the M203---everyone just offers the same basic M-16A1/A2 model.  Some say they make a ""carbine" model, but the mounts are still all wrong---they look all out of whack on an M4.

Since it's partly just for looks, I'm tempted to look into Airsoft copies (a dirty word here, I know).  Either that or get the carbine model and ask a machinist to help redo the mounts...

Good luck.

Will  

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to have a 37mm launcher on my old Bushy. I installed it because I used to take the Bushy with me when I went out on the boat. The 37mm flares went much higher and were MUCH brighter than standard 20mm flares.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually had a real 203. It added alot of weight but I didnt mind as the cool factor was out this world. I also had a couple of the 22LR beehive rounds. Let me tell you you would never have thought that 18 22s would make so much recoil! On my 16" carbine we are talking 12 guage recoil with CCI stingers!

Since a real 203 is itself a title 1 firearm (if the barrel is sleeved down to 37mm) or a DD, it's its own firearm classification and the rifle it self is only a carrier and it is not a permenant alteration. I dont really see how it could not be put on a post ban.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since a real 203 is itself a title 1 firearm (if the barrel is sleeved down to 37mm) or a DD, it's its own firearm classification and the rifle it self is only a carrier and it is not a permenant alteration. I dont really see how it could not be put on a post ban.

SorryOciffer
View Quote

Because the AWB specifically lists the grenade launcher as one of the evil features. Unless you got rid of the pistol grip from your post ban AR, adding a grenade launcher, even though the launcher is a separately titled weapon, would be adding a second evil feature, hence, manufacturing an illegal SAW.

No one ever said this law made sense.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
True, you can't put a "Grenade" launcher on your rifle but you can put all the "flare" launchers on it that you want.   There are no fragmentation or HE rounds made for the 37mm as far as I know so it should be fine to add one to a post ban rifle.   As for the practicality of having one, I can think of one reason--- parachute flares.   You could light up a 15 acher area from what I've read and that would be good if some "un-friendlies" were trying to breech your perimiter.   Plus, the "bird busters" sound like they'd be a hoot to play with.  Talk at ya'll later.  TN.Frank
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top