Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2003 9:05:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2003 9:41:30 AM EDT by spookyspiff]
I’m about to purchase my first AR. I don’t have a lot of bucks to go all out but I want a good base model and be able to do all the customizing I want down the road.

I want:
-Carbine length
-detachable carrying handle
-standard buttstock

I’ve narrowed it down to Bushmaster or Rock River Arms. In BM I’m looking at the Bushmaster A3 16” Carbine. In RRA, I’m looking at the LE A4 Tactical CAR.

Here’s the pros and cons as I see them

Bushmaster Pros
-standard buttstock
-Chrome lined

Rock River Pros
-Price

Can anyone offer any other considerations?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a place to buy in Virginia, let me know.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:51:46 AM EDT
Long time reader, First time poster here. I too am in the market for my first AR! I've pretty much decided on the A3 20" from Bushmaster. I'd also like to hear if anyone out there knows of a great place to purchase a Bushy in Virginia. Thanks in advance, and love the forum here. Piper51
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:20:55 AM EDT
If money is an issue,,and if your like me it always is. Why not just build one. its cheaper and you learn something to boot. you can build it for under $600 this leaves extra money for mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:28:33 AM EDT
You will no have problems going wrong with either choice. You claim $ is a factor. Therefore get the best deal you can between the 2. I got a Bushy A3 20" and have never regretted my decision. I will certainly buy another. I also have no problem getting a RRA, but it will have a Bushmaster upper, if not a barrel due to the chrome lining.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:31:32 AM EDT
Call Steve at ADCO Firearms. He has RRA M4 bbls that are chrome-lined. His prices for complete uppers and lowers are the best around, I promise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:30:10 PM EDT
Get the Bushy, then buy a RRA tactical carry handle so you can throw optics right on that. Cheaper than buying a handle, then optics, then BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:36:14 PM EDT
Ditto on what Centermass69 said. I've got alittle over $700 into my A2 and it's dressed up with green furniture, Stainless fluted bbl. and a chrome bolt/carrier. You can get way more bang for your buck if you build. It's not hard at all and if you do run into any problems the Build it Yourself forum here at AR15.com has lots of good people to help you out. Talk to ya' later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
I would seriously look into getting a Lightweight version of said firearms, 'cause a heavy barrel is, well, heavy. The lightweights offered by Bushie, Oly, and DPMS are all great: light, swings and stops on a dime, and not much detriment to accuracy. Downside is that since they require more machining, it usually costs about $30 more. Ghost
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:53:17 PM EDT
Check out the Equipment Exchange for good deals. Looking for a base rifle you should find something pretty good. Also, they aren't in Virginia, so it would be a ship to FFL type thing, but check out [url]onpointfirearms.com[/url] out of St. Pete, FL. These guys have some seriously good pricing and are great to deal with. I keep trying to send business their way because I was in a hurry and found someone who had stock and was a bit pricier (spelling?)! [:D] That is if you aren't up for building one from scratch. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2003 6:48:01 PM EDT by Nate1]
[url]http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/upperbuild.cfm[/url] I had Steve build me a nice lightweight m4, 16", chrome lined, flattop. Had a lower sent to a dealer and the upper sent to my door. Excellent work at great prices... Or if you want a Bushmaster... [url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bushmaster_Rifles.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:53:42 PM EDT
check out Olympic Arms, I bought the M4 and love it. Where in Virginia are you? I bought mine from www.the-armory.com they are in Chesapeake. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:59:53 PM EDT
Well, between the responses here and the response from the "Commissioner of Domestic Tranquility" I think I will build. She won't have a fit if I do this slowly but she can't handle a big sticker shock. Ah, now where to get started....
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:01:48 PM EDT
Just remember, there's not much difference between getting an upper w/bolt & carrier and getting the whole kit. At Model 1 a complete upper will run ya' $370 or you can get the whole kit(stock and all) for $400. That's $30 bucks more for over $110 bucks worth of parts. That is for a basic kit(AR-15A2 or CAR-15) with no bells or wistles. Talk to ya' later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:22:29 PM EDT
Well if you've decided to build,,,,,Then id look at the Rock rivers more closely....You can get a RRA M4 profile A3(flattop) upper complete Without the Tact carry handle and WITH chrome lined for $435. Forget the A3 carry handle and go with an ARMS#40 BUIS for the same money ($100)...$100 or so for a Striped RRA lower,Call Pete@legaltransfers and go with the "US property" marked lower for more "cool" factor...$50 for a lower parts kit..And $35 for a complete A2 buttstock....Add it all up and you've got a very nice rifle for under $800 and the satisfaction of "doing it yourself"..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:23:36 PM EDT
Folks, How much time does it take to build an AR? Also how much knowledge and how many tools does it take? Is it a huge undertaking for a rookie in the AR/rifle "building" business? Thanks, Piper51
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:27:42 PM EDT
Piper, Where in VA are you from?....To do a lower all it takes is some punches,Allen wrenches,and maybe some tape...Oh and a cold beverage to keep you from dehydrating[beer]...UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 12:49:49 AM EDT by Klinger_04]
Spookyspiff your idea of a detach carry handle is good! more options=an extra plus but as for the A2 stock, it [i]is[/i] more beneficial (as well as less "poser"-like).. But, myself, after getting a carbine w/the A2 stock, I had to get a whole new AR just to put that "cool" fake-tele on it!! but see, thats the beauty of assholes, we all have one (or is that opinions?) oh yeah, also, if you're short on $ RRA is THE way to go! cheers!! [beer]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:45:28 AM EDT
Underdog, I'm originally from Fairfax County, and have bounced around the state and country for the past 4 years and am back in Northern Virginia. Thanks for the posts everybody. Helped me to decide to build my Bushmaster! I've also been reading over the building your own thread here and learned alot too. Piper51
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:12:37 AM EDT
wow piper, i'm from there too....
Top Top