Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2003 8:35:35 PM EDT
I recently swapped out my A2 stock for a Vltor A1 length. First off, I highly recommend the stock. Second off, I'm getting an odd side effect. It is harder to hold the bolt back (when using an empty rifle and my thumb to press on the small portion of the bolt catch), because the bolt carrier wants to sort of just ride over it. It also will let the bolt loose more easily than before. I don't know if this has anything to do with the Vltor or not, but it's just a small thing. My rifle seems to function fine (haven't been out shooting yet), so I'm not really concerned. Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:42:23 PM EDT
Different spring, right? My DPMS Stubby is like 30% harder to pull the bolt back than on my A2, with the same rig. I havent noticed any difference in performance either, except the A2 had more of a push-back recoil, and the stubby has more of a sharp kick. I mean, negligible...but more than the A2.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:47:38 PM EDT
Nope. All the same stuff. Only part I changed was the actual stock. Of course I also removed the spacer. Same screw even. There is a different screw in there, maybe the A2 screw is pushing on something and creating excess pressure. I'll swap that out later and see.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:51:24 PM EDT
Not familiar with the stock you mention but an A2 screw in a std. A1 stock is too long and will stop the bolt carrier from going all the way back and letting the last round hold activate. The soft part of the buffer is hitting the screw.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:47:14 PM EDT
A2 stock has a longer screw. If you swap stocks, you need to get a shorter A1 screw to go with the shorter A1 stock. The problem you are describing, is coming from using the longer A2 screw with a shorter A1 stock. It's a qick and simple fix.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:14:30 PM EDT
David...that's what I suspected. I just swapped out the screws (before I didn't find the screw until after I was done installing it) and it works 100%!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:36:43 PM EDT
SW, sometimes you are soooooo scary......
Top Top