Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2003 2:51:55 PM EDT
narrowed down my upper choice for my preban to either an M4 style or a 16" superlight..........

to me appearance seems to be the only real difference between the two...................

pros & cons of both, discuss!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Shorter is better.   However, I will confess, this one is purely aesthetic to me.  The 16" just doesnt look right .   All that barrel out there is fragile looking.

Other than that, I have no practical reason for my 14.5" preference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Have both... Like 'em equally.

The perfect combo would be to buy the 14.5" M4 and have KKF turn it down to superlight profile and perm. attach either a Vortex or Phantom.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than weight, and barrel diameter, which equal heat dissipation, the choice would be purely looks.
Unless you plan to mount a 203 in the near future. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16" RRA upper with the mid length handguards. The mid length style allows a longer sight radius while retaining the correct bayonet mounting point. Since you have to tack the flash suppressor on to get the barrel to 16" anyway, the true 16" barrel gives slightly better ballistics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
On my pre-ban I went with a 16" barrel.  

My primary reason is the ability to have a threaded barrel and removable flash suppressor and the extra velocity sure didn't hurt either.  

I really felt having the removable FS opened up a lot more options for accessory selection.  It's still possible to work with a pinned and welded FS but I'd rather not go through hassle.

I value capability and flexibility more than authentic looks but that's just me...  YMMV[:D]

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a 16" M4 profile on my goto gun and am not in the process of building a 16" lightweight.  Using the lightweight i will get rid of about 5 oz of weight vs a 16" M4, 2oz vs a 14.5 M4 and gain about 70-80 fps vs a 14.5" barrel.  Good tradeoffs both.  I could give a crap what it looks like.

Now if i had a REAL 203 launcher + ammo to mount on it it would be different but i'm not about to put a fake launcher on my gun and then tell everyone its just for grins and scaring birds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the fact that the M4 is 2" shorter with the flash hider. Also I can buy a scope with the correct BDC designed for my barrel length. If I had to make a choice it would be between 14.5" or 20". The 20" would be a better choice if you didn't want the shorter 14.5" barrel. With the 20" barrel you get longer fragmentation range, smoother action (my opinion) and again scopes designed with a BDC for your length barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shorter is better.   However, I will confess, this one is purely aesthetic to me.  The 16" just doesnt look right .   All that barrel out there is fragile looking.

Other than that, I have no practical reason for my 14.5" preference.
View Quote

This is exactly identical to my reasoning. But then, 16" seems to be the most efficient barrel length / muzzle velocity combo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The 16" barrels do result in higher muzzle velocities compared to the 14.5" (see www.ammo-oracle.com for more details).  Since your barrel has to be at least 16" it seems like you might as well take the ballistic advantage ... unless you really like the way the 14.5" looks that much more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
and whats the deal with the M4 handguards?  anybody got a preference on that?  ive never even shot an M4.......................
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the 16" superlight and get the slipover style Flash suppressor that looks like the car fs but gives the visual effect of a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no needs for a compensator so I went with a 16" RRA M4 barrel with the pressed on faux flash suppressor. Now I have all the cool looks of the 14.5 M4 but with the performance of a 16" barrel! The Faux suppressor slips over the end of the barrel, there's a whole 16" barrel under there! Now there's an idea...
B9
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Regardless of what type of profile you go for, I would definitely go with a 16" barrel length.  Being able to remove the flash suppressor/front sight may not seem like a big deal now, but what if you want to get a FFras, or firsh?  What if you decide to get a suppressor one day?  What if that PRI front sight grabs hold of you at a funshow and begs to be taken home?  The extra velocity wont hurt either.

Tex78
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
and whats the deal with the M4 handguards?  anybody got a preference on that?  ive never even shot an M4.......................
View Quote

IMHO, the M4's handguards are a little more comfortable to hold in my hands since they have a bigger diameter.   They have two heat metal heat shields instead of one, so your hands will stay cool when shooting fast like the airsofters, but at the expense of trapped heat inside.  

Top to bottom:

14.5" M4 Colt
16"   M4 Colt
16"   Colt Lightweight
Old Airsoft thing (hehe, Lee!)

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraColtBarrels.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Regardless of what type of profile you go for, I would definitely go with a 16" barrel length.  Being able to remove the flash suppressor/front sight may not seem like a big deal now, but what if you want to get a FFras, or firsh?  [red]What if you decide to get a suppressor one day?[/red]  What if that PRI front sight grabs hold of you at a funshow and begs to be taken home?  The extra velocity wont hurt either.

Tex78
View Quote

huh?

then you pay $200 to the ATF and get it...?(assuming it is a registered SBR)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
because you need a threaded barrel tiv...........

and maybe its just me, but IMO the 16" superlight looks the best on top of it all, i believe the 16" superlight it shall be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
because you need a threaded barrel tiv...........

and maybe its just me, but IMO the 16" superlight looks the best on top of it all, i believe the 16" superlight it shall be.
View Quote

TexRdnec,

Also, I'm not sure if it matters to you but the latest test's on the 77gr MK262 in the ammo forum say that the 16" 1/7 is a really good fit for that round.  Just an FYI...[;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#18]
bushmaster 16" superlight is 1/9 twist like the rest of their guns and i only shoot LC or Q3131A or other 55 grain FMJ.............(hopefully gonna have bushmaster turn my 20" HBAR into a 16" superlight with collapsible stock at gunstock if they can do it there)

if i ever wanted to do that though the 20" HBAR coming off my preban is a 1/7 twist............
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By tivoli410

huh?

then you pay $200 to the ATF and get it...?(assuming it is a registered SBR)
View Quote

Exactly! (well sort-of)

You don't have to have an SBR to add a suppressor.  You need a preban with a threaded barrel.  (having a 14.5 would mean perm-attatched FS or SBR)  While it is easy when you first buy a rifle to say what will/will not be on it, as time goes by, you may change your mind!  So also does technology and availiable accessories!  So having a flexible design that you can change is an absolute nessessity in my book.

Tex78
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I am planning to buy another 16" Bbl and attach it to a flat top upper with a free floating arms fore arm. I believe I am going to a BM 1/9 twist fluted barrel. With the arms mount, I won't save any weight, maybe just break even.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#21]
my postban bushmaster 16" HBAR is my workhorse, the preban is getting the superlight and collapsible stock cause its gonna get to be my hog hunting gun and lighter/shorter is better for that............
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a 14.5" M4 and Gemtech bilock to make it 16" and let me get the suppressor.  I already have the PRI front sight and FF RAS so its a non issue to me.  I had to build it that way from the start though.  The 1.5" in reduced length is far more likely to be used to help me maneuver in CQB type maneuvers than the extra 1.5" would help me incapacitate an aggressor from 100-150 yards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Kisara;

Didn't know they made airsoft Valmets...nice!
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
14.5" M4 barrel: Unless you're about to spend the $200 on a SBR approval or if you're working on a preban with a flash-hider, you're wasting barrel lenght in my opinion.

If neither one of those two are not the case, go with the 16"
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Jarret,

Did'nt you shoot my M4 at your shoot?  I had a lightweight 16 inch barrel and it while it was very light, apparently somewhere over the course of a couple of years, I bent the barrel slightly as it will no longer maintain any accuracy worth a damn.  I like the M4 barrel because it seems to be a bridge between a lightweight barrel and an HBAR.  Why not go with a 16 inch M4 profile barrel.  The extra couple of inches will give you a bit more distance and still fragment.  Hope your doing well.

Josh
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top