Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2003 5:52:18 PM EDT
Are these legal on post ban AR's?What's the general thought on these,waste of $(+ the added weight)or what?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:55:59 PM EDT
except where baned by state law (I think Cali is one example) you can have a flare launcher on your AR. Personally I can't see a use for one, BUT I will eventually build a 20 rifle WITH one just for the C.D.I. factor. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:47:27 PM EDT
You need to check out http://www.37mm.com. Some people are really into using launchers and reloading. Some guys even made some high-low pressure rounds to sound like 40mm launchers, because they sound like a cannon otherwise. Most common projectiles are bird bombs (basically a launchable m80, obey powder regulations) and film canisters filled with sand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:52:48 PM EDT
If you're LEO or military, you can get the fun rounds for it, rubber slugs and buckshot, CS/CN, ect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:22:08 PM EDT
Yep, I have had my eye on a new project involving the 37mm too. I found a good link. [url]http://www.fire-balls.com/catalog.asp?display=3[/url] Please let me know if you have purchased from this place. Pics would help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:18:35 AM EDT
I've been kickin' around the idea of getting a 37mm launcher to shoot parachute flares but dang, did you see the price of those babies. $20 bucks a pop and they are out of stock to boot. And what's up with the Distructive Device tag for non-lethal stuff like bean bags and rubber bullets? Also, in a SHTF type of deal could you use a 12ga. adapter to shoot 12ga. shells or is the "flare launcher" action too weak for that? Talk to ya' later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:40:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TNFrank: I've been kickin' around the idea of getting a 37mm launcher to shoot parachute flares but dang, did you see the price of those babies. $20 bucks a pop and they are out of stock to boot. And what's up with the Distructive Device tag for non-lethal stuff like bean bags and rubber bullets? Also, in a SHTF type of deal could you use a 12ga. adapter to shoot 12ga. shells or is the "flare launcher" action too weak for that? Talk to ya' later. TN.Frank
View Quote
Shoot a regular 12g shell and say bye bye to your hands. Even if it was strong enough, you have to register as a DD because its a short barrel shotgun. 37mm isn't for every one, if you can't stand the rules for what you can launch, then I'd avoid it. And like I said, most reload there 37mm as opposed to buying shells. Thats a big part of the hobby.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:56:54 AM EDT
I also noticed they were using black powder to reload em' with so I guess that should have clued me as to the low pressure they operate at. I still think parachute flares would come in handy in a SHTF situation to light up an area. Can you reload them or are they strictly a buy off the shelf deal? I also found a place here in TN. that has them for sale for only $145.00 w/mounts, there in Shotgun News. Add in the sight, $20 and the upper handguard, $47 and I could get into one for about $225, that's not too bad and the "cool" factor would be way up there. I wonder if they make the upper handguards in green to match the rest of my AR fuinture? Talk at ya'll later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:09:39 AM EDT
I havent heard of any one reloading flares, as most people fire bird bombs or inert projectiles such as wood dummy rounds or whatever fits into the shell.
Top Top