Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2003 6:04:18 PM EDT
I herd from a friend about a rifle for sell. He said it was one that was built by the owner. It's a heavy barrel "preban". He wants around $700 for it and says it like new.

Heres my questions:

1. It has a Bushmaster lower but that doesn't make it a Bushmaster does it?

2. How can I tell if the upper rifle parts are quality.

3. Since this is a gun put together buy an individual how can I be sure that it is a legal preban rifle and not just a post ban lower with a preban upper which is illegal, right?

I'm not an expert but I do know that a preban Bushmaster is worth more that $700 if it is in good shape. I smell a rat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:07:43 PM EDT
A pre-ban bushy isn't necessarily worth more than 700 dollars. Get the serial number and call bushmaster to find out if it was shipped as a complete rifle. If so, and if it still in Semi-Auto, Assault Weapon Config, you should be alright. If bushy says it shipped as a lower only, the seller would need to be able to provide proof of it's pre-ban status.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 1:44:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JohnBlade23: I smell a rat.
View Quote
I would too. Stryfe is 100% correct though. Bushmasters as prebans are more desireble (and hence more expensive) than most brands. No name however, is a substitute for the shape of a gun for sale when it comes to its value. Nonetheless, if the rifle was on par with a legitimate Bushmaster it would likely be at least $500 more. I suspect thatat best this weapon was bought as a kit and assembled. There is nothing wrong with that with the exception that there is no way to prove it was built as a preban before the AWB (Unless he took great pains to cover his ass). If a weapon's pre-ban status is questionable then the burden of proof falls on the owner to prove it was, not the ATF to prove it was not. Unless you can get a very credible piece of evidence (i.e. a signed letter by a law enforcement official who witnessed the fully assembled weapon prior to 9/94) I would stay away from it entirely. Remember the AWB dies in 1 year, giving you the opportunity to buy a brand new one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 1:51:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:
Originally Posted By JohnBlade23: I smell a rat.
View Quote
I would too. Stryfe is 100% correct though. Bushmasters as prebans are more desireble (and hence more expensive) than most brands. No name however, is a substitute for the shape of a gun for sale when it comes to its value. Nonetheless, if the rifle was on par with a legitimate Bushmaster it would likely be at least $500 more. I suspect thatat best this weapon was bought as a kit and assembled. There is nothing wrong with that with the exception that there is no way to prove it was built as a preban before the AWB (Unless he took great pains to cover his ass). If a weapon's pre-ban status is questionable then the burden of proof falls on the owner to prove it was, not the ATF to prove it was not. Unless you can get a very credible piece of evidence (i.e. a signed letter by a law enforcement official who witnessed the fully assembled weapon prior to 9/94) I would stay away from it entirely. Remember the AWB dies in 1 year, giving you the opportunity to buy a brand new one.
View Quote
I agree mostly, but i woudl replace the word "Bushmaster" with the word "Colt". I have yet too see pre-ban Bushmasters even come close to the price and high demand for pre-ban Colts. Both are very good lowers. However, I don't see how Bushmaster is more "desirable" or expensive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:00:44 AM EDT
I believe the statement stands well as is. I wrote it is more desireable/valuable than MOST, which may (or may not) allow room for Colts. If you know a thing about guitars you have 2 classics: the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul. The Strat is often the most valuable of the guitars, its best/rarest models fetching thousands (even tens of thousands) of dollars. The drawback of the strat is that there are very inferior strats as well, not amounting to much at all. The best Les Pauls rarely come close to the cost of the rarest strats but the value of an old Les Paul is consistent and consistently good. Valuable colts (especially historically rare ones) fetch more $ than any other AR-15. The problem though is there are (IMHO) plenty of "junk Colts". Large holes, pivot screws (rather than pins), and sear blocks are all reasons why a Pre-ban Bushmaster can cost more than these lesser Colts. I couldn't possibly argue that pre-ban Bushmasters are more valuable than Colts but they can beat the hell out of many of the lesser Colts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:49:06 AM EDT
Top Top