Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 8:42:36 PM EDT
Is there anything that can be done about a tight mag well ? I just put together a new lower and the mag well is mucho tight. An empty USGI mag won't drop free and the British steel mags almost have to be pried out.
This is a big disappointment. I was trying to put together my latest rendition of the M4 using an SGW lower that I just got back from Olympic.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Olympic has a lifetime warranty on all their parts against defects and this sounds like a defect - I would call them and see if they will exchange it or forge another for you with the same serial. I have two Olympics, one I bought as complete rifle, one I built from a stripped lower, they both are tight with Bushmaster mags but are fine with USGI, British SA80 and orlite mags (drop free). It shouldn't be that tight, call Oly and see if they will work with you on this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that it should not be this tight. I have never had another AR mag well that didn't allow the mag to drop free.
This is a pre-ban receiver, so an exchange is out of the question. This is also a brand new replacement receiver with my old serial number on it. I am just wondering if the finish on the metal combined with the finish on the magazines makes it so tight. I tried an old USGI mag that has no finish left and it goes in and out comparatively easy although it still doesn't drop free. The British mags I tried were brand new, I took one out of the package to try it. They have a fairly heavy coat of grey paint or something on them.
I guess, since I am not getting any suggestions on how to remedy the problem, I will just see if it loosens up with use from wearing away some of the finish on the inside of the mag well. If not, I guess I will just put it in the back of the safe and forget it.
A lot of money down the drain.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Try dropping the trigger-guard down, and then try the mags. I have seen some trigger-guards that are to long and they cause the mag to bind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top