Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2003 7:14:13 AM EDT
I bought a M16 upper for a post ban Vietnam era lookalike project. I would like to neuter the bayonet lug by removing the "ears" that lock the bayonet in place. This preserves the profile but will the result be in compliance with the AWB? The compensator that replaces the flashhider would prevent any attempt to mount the bayonet anyway. So the question is; when does a lug become a representative but legal lump?
Any old BATF letters in regards to this matter?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If it can't hold a bayonet, is it a bayonet lug or is it simply a protrusion that has no function? I suppose that it would be the same as making an FA bolt carrier into a semi-auto bolt carrier or an FA hammer into a semi-auto hammer or a stock that looks collapsible but is not collapsible.

Of course that is my opinion based on what I see as common sense. Therefore, the ATF's position is probably, "once a bayonet lug, always a bayonet lug".
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Strictly going by hearsay, I [i]think[/i] it is legal to neuter the bayo lug. However, I have no definitive proof. I have done it to three rifles though and no one has kicked my front door yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Before I chopped up a perfectly good upper, I think I'd wait until next year to see what happens, or just replace the tower with a politically correct sight sans lug.  JMO
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately I live in New York. We have our own AWB without a sunset provision. No full-auto, no surpressed weapons, no AOW, no SBR and probably lucky to have semiauto. Maybe I'll have to go preban lower. On the other hand I  think these uppers M16 uppers are very common so altering it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do. Hey maybe I should run against Schumer next year!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I live in New York. We have our own AWB without a sunset provision. No full-auto, no surpressed weapons, no AOW, no SBR and probably lucky to have semiauto. Maybe I'll have to go preban lower. On the other hand I  think these uppers M16 uppers are very common so altering it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do. Hey maybe I should run against Schumer next year!
View Quote

Hey, not to worry if you are a criminal, you can still have all those things.  Got to admit, it sure cut down on all the crime committed there with legally registered NFA before the state ban, got that figure right here - [b]ZERO[/b]

Edited to say:  I forgot, that figure is the same number of cases I have heard of where a mounted bayonet on an civilian's assault rifle has been used to kill in America.  I feel so much safer now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top