Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2003 1:22:54 AM EDT
I'm new to AR's and would like a little help with them. I want a carbine with a collapsable stock.

I went to a gun show yesterday and found 4, all Colt's. Three were marked AR 15 SP1. Two of these were in about 80% condition and the third was used but looked new. The fourth was marked AR 15 A2 Government Carbine. It was new in the box (box had a blue lable). What's the difference between the SP1's and the AR 15 A2 Government Carbine?

Also, is it better to buy a complete gun or buy an upper and lower and put them together? At the gun show I found a DPMS preban lower and upper in the carbine configuration I was looking for.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The AR-15 Gov't Carbine is worth more. It was produced in fewer numbers and has the "AR-15" designation. AR-15s were banned, meaning that you could produce the exact same weapon and call it the "Ass Reamer-15" legally, (after 1994) but you could not stamp one "AR-15". Therefore the gov't carbine is a collector's item and the SP1 is a soon-to-be used gun after the crime bill sunsets in 2004. Even if something worse replaces the crime bill there will be a window of time before the replacement passes. in that window of time you can convert post bans to "pre-ban" configs. Therefore, any pre-ban that doesn't have a collector's value is merely a used AR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top