Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2003 10:14:05 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I was over at CMMG's website checking out some barrels and what not and I came across the Pre-Ban M4A3, now, I'm not too familiar with CMMG, but I do understand they make superb barrels. Any opinions on this rifle? I'm thinking about picking it up, slapping an Aimpoint on it and a chopped down carry handle and perhaps a KAC RIS/RAS system. Now, they price is pretty damn good, so, if anyone has any insight, or thoughts, please, let me know.

Thanks,

Erik
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:31:27 PM EDT
I am pretty sure that CMMG does not make their barrels. Last time I spoke with em they were selling DPMS barrels, which are probably as good as any of the manufactures, though not match grade. You can build a preban configuration rifle only if you build it on a preban receiver. And the ATF is actually pretty clear that this receiver has to have been made into a rifle before the ban. YMMV, but you should check out the rules to play by before you jump into building a rifle that might not be legal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:35:24 PM EDT
dmuldrew is correct. They are DPMS barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:39:23 PM EDT
The DPMS upper is a full spec 4150 steel (Only Colt and Bushmaster use this as its milspec) M4 style feed ramps, 1/7 twist chrome lined barrels and a true M4 profile but the front sight is cast and not forged. The only things I have heard bad were about some bolts and the front sight tower. If you want a folding front sight its a non issue and you might want to use someone elses bolt and carrier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:38:40 PM EDT
dmuldrew, yes, I'm clear on the ATF's rules. I have a complete Colt SP-1 Carbine here, and it will eventually be built into something. I know the law. My mistake on the barrels. I'll have to look more into that.
Top Top