Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2003 8:41:42 AM EDT
I am looking into getting a 458 Socom upper but I have a few concerns that I hope somebody can help me with.  I am only a poor college student so I can't afford loaded ammo from Corbon, besides I reload like crazy already so it makes sense for me to reload 458 as well. However I am really worried about how to get the dies and brass.  I have read over most of the 458 socom threads on this board and it seems I am getting into this a little too late to get in on any group purchases of brass or dies.  I would only probably need about 250-500 pieces of brass and after reading about the problems with the CH4D dies, and because of the fact that they cost so much, I would like to get my hands on a set of the Lee dies.  I would like to get these issues figured out before I purchase the upper.  Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this stuff? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot one?

They kick like a horse, but the BIG hoels they put in the paper are AWESOME!

The one that I shot broke the Trijicon reflex sight that was mounted on it:)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Recoil is about on par with a Remington 700 HB in .308.

I can sell you my CH4D dies at $60 shipped and I can sell you 200 pieces of formed NEVER fired brass for $100 shipped to the lower 48 states.

If you know how to reload you will be able to make the CH4D dies work, although you may need to simply contact them about getting a better stem.

Let me know.

BTW, [url=www.teppojutsu.com]TeppoJutsu[/url] is the place to find stuff about the round.  Marty is the guy.  Email him and he might be able to set you up with your answers.  Let him know I sent you over. [;)]

Ed
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope I have not ever shot one.  I live in the very rural desert section of Eastern Washington state where there are not many ranges so I don't really get to see other people's toys much.  Most people around here, myself included, have their own little ranges on their own ground.

I am sorry to hear that Trijicon Reflex broke as that I what I was plannin' on puttin' on mine when/if I get one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the Reflex body didn't break, but the filter that screws in the front came apart.

There are two lens to the polarizing filter, and the front one was only held into the thumb ring with a rubber o-ring that's not glued in.  First, the o-ring popped out, then the front lens fell out a few shots later.  I've since put a spot of superglue and it's none the worse for wear.

One thing I've found with my 458 is that the ARMS quick-detach throw levers don't grip hard enough to prevent the Reflex from moving... although it's fine on a regular 223 upper.

It's definitely the funnest caliber I've ever shot! :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Fluxion has let me shoot his. I didn't think it kicked bad at all. A bit more than .223, but NOWHERE near my Mossberg M590A1 12ga. shooting 1-1/4oz. slugs at 1700fps. He did say I was shooting some pretty light .458 loads though. Very sweet gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a compact ACOG on my 458 Socom with an ARMS 19s throw lever mount and it works great.  Doesn't rattle loose, but that darn short eye relief worries me some times :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Well Hello Mr. Scary, I have some more loads to try. How about shooting some of the Hot 500 gr. loads? I guarantee they will kick, I have a picture that shows the bruise they left on my shoulder.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I find that the 405s @ 1700 kick harder than any 500s I have worked up so far.
When I first started shooting the SOCOM, I was getting bruises from everything I shot! Including the initial loads of 300s @ 1500... I installed a slip on recoil pad that I borrowed from my wife's 20 gauge. Haven't had a bruise since!
The A2 stock slaps my face like a good 12 gauge 1 1/4 @ 1300+ FPS, but no bruise!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Spongeman66, I have some of the 405's but haven't tried them yet. BTW I'm using the Ace Arfx with the buttpad and It still left a bruise. I seem to like the 300 gr Hornady's the best. They seem to be the best bang for the buck if you buy them in bulk.+9+*-+
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Try putting a want to buy add on the equiptment exchange. Somebody might have what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Have any of you guys dumped a mag of .458 in a 16?

If so, you will change your mind about the whole "it doesn't kick that hard"!

I only shoot semi now and it took a few mags to get rid of that awful tick. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for you help everybody.  I just ordered my upper from Tony at Tromix today and I am getting brass and dies from Shivan.  I appreciate all of your comments.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Jessman,

I just finished the machine work and final assembly on your .458 upper.  It will ship on Monday.

How's that for turn time?

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Tony,
  That is totally awesome!!  When I started looking into this project I figured I would have to wait weeks for something like this. Thanks a lot for lettin' me know.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top