Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2003 6:36:52 AM EDT
I've noticed that most all M4s shown in SF use in Iraq and Afghanistan are painted/coated in a uniform overall (stock, receiver, optics, etc) desert tan color.

Anyone know if the paint is a special treatment/coating or just a can of USGI tan spray paint?

In either case I'm considering trying this on my M4gery. Any suggestions, advice, or pics are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Will
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:43:30 AM EDT
It's paint...bowflage, or whatever they happen to have handy. I'm doing my M4 in Coyote Brown..I'll post pics when I get the stocks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:09:45 AM EDT
Bowflage, non-permanent cammo paint.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:18:32 AM EDT
Thanks Quietshootr and Notack, but what exactly is bowflage and where can you get it? Many thanks! Will
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:27:47 AM EDT
it's removable paint made for bowhunters. Try Cabela's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:56:42 AM EDT
I got my removable paint from Hunter Specialities. It took about a can of tan paint to cover my M4 and took about 3-4 cans of brake cleaner to remove it all from the gun. the piant looked great and after I removed it, it looks like I painted before. nice and black. [img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/tanm4-3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/tanm4-2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:09:21 AM EDT
If you want a great desert camo AR15 check out www.ccr-refinishing.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:13:55 PM EDT
To SMGLee, thanks for the pics! I bought a can of exactly what you used this morning (Hunter Specialties Removable Camo Spray Paint in "marsh grass" color), and just finished the job--it looks AWESOME! My only issue is that the guys in my local hunting shop had no idea how to REMOVE the paint later, and the label is no help. How did you do it (what do you mean by brake cleaner)? Thanks again to all for the help--and I recommend this to anyone if they're interested. It's simple and makes your M4 look bad-a$$ (& SF-legit). Will
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:33:26 PM EDT
Will, Brake cleaner is a aerosol can you can buy at any auto parts store, i get my by the case at Walmart. it is basically the same as gun scrubber. do not use carb cleaner, it is too harsh. the brake cleaner will leave a white film on your gun, once you finished, take a silicon cloth and wipe the gun and the nice glossy black will be back again. it took about 3 can to clean a gun completely. I secure the gun on a vise, lay some cloth around it to soak up the spray, and a toothbrush and went at it. go it all off in less then 30 minutes. I am going to spray my SPR with tan and marsh grass this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:54:53 PM EDT
SMG - what kind of BUIS is mounted in that pic? Looks like you cut the sight out of a carry handle, I've seen it done and was wondering if that's what you did. Nice gun, the camo looks great, I want to see what your SPR looks like after you paint it [:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:11:42 PM EDT
Forgive me for asking, but would someone PLEASE drop a URL for me on that 'Hunters Specialties Removable Camo Paint'. I am on an extremely slow land line that times out so many times that it is hard to do much searching. Thanks VERY much Doc
Top Top