Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2003 11:31:37 PM EDT
I love my AR15 to death, as most here do, but of course nothing is perfect! If I had to pick a few things I didn't really like about the system, I would have to say:

Handguards are a PITA to take off.

How long the A2 stock is.

How the grip puts the middle joint of your finger on the trigger naturally, when the tip of your finger should be on it.

How using a sling isn't really beneficial unless your gun is free floated.

HBAR is heavy.

How the handguards wobble.

Now don't take this the wrong way....I LOVE my AR15. I think it is the best system out there. But nothing is perfect!

And yes I realize several of these things could be remedied. But this is how my AR is currently configured.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
"How using a sling isn't really beneficial unless your gun is free floated."

You can still hang your gun from a sling.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"How using a sling isn't really beneficial unless your gun is free floated."

You can still hang your gun from a sling.
NoKarma
View Quote

I meant to pull it tight and shoot with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love my AR15 to death, as most here do, but of course nothing is perfect! If I had to pick a few things I didn't really like about the system, I would have to say:

View Quote

Waah.

View Quote

I think it tends to be a bit short.

How the grip puts the middle joint of your finger on the trigger naturally, when the tip of your finger should be on it.
View Quote

Yep.  There are a few remedies to this available.

View Quote

Oh well, no big loss there.

HBAR is heavy.
View Quote

You'll grow into it...  :)

View Quote

Now that I haven't noticed.

Biggest beef that I have with the AR?  I don't make enough money to buy tons of them!

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Whine Whine Whine

Ok, you get a free AR, what are you tearing it down for?  

Remove magazine.

Clear chamber.

Check chamber to make sure it is clear and no mag is present.

Recheck chamber, if empty, proceed:

Put buttstock on floor, pull down on handguards, they will release from the front edge.  Reverse to install.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing i don't like about my AR?

Why... the lack of an auto sear, of course [;)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't realize it was whining to not find an AR absolutely perfect and be curious as to what others found its imperfections to be.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't realize it was whining to not find an AR absolutely perfect and be curious as to what others found its imperfections to be.
View Quote

Imperfections in AR's:

Freefloat isn't standard.
Flattop+A3 carry isn't standard.
Better pistol grip needed.

All of the above can be worked around.  Other than that, no complaints
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing i don't like about my AR?

Why... the lack of an auto sear, of course [;)]
View Quote

Amen.   But I'm working on that... the form 4 is in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Mines Perfect.

Skinny barrel under handguards, step cut barrel foreward of the handguard.

Finger sits on trigger naturally.

Handguards don't wobble.

Smooth as silk on the inside, no problems whatsoever.

Came sighted in with the santose method, and with a wolf HD extractor spring.

I think its a custom bushmaster job, but I have no way of confirming it as the previous owner is not contactable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I agree that the hand guard always feels loose.  But the one thing that I never understood about this rifle is this:  The buffer retainer pin.  What the hell is that thing supposed to do besides malfunction?  There is a much better solution to retain the pin than that little "pop" pin.

I'm 99% content with  the black rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
They dont reproduce when left alone together in the gunsafe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I would like to see someone come out with a takedown and pivot pin made from a material that is softer than the aluminum of the receivers. This should stop the pin holes from becoming wollowed out by the pins. Wouldn't it? I may be wrong but it makes sense to me. Would eliminated the need for an AccuWedge. Much cheaper to replace a pin vs a receiver. I also think the standard grip sucks.

Shabo

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't like the luggage handle, so I swapped out the large pin A2 Colt upper for a RRA flat top upper.  I also replaced the HGs with free-float Bushy v-match ones while I had it torn apart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate that I don't have mine yet, the wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#16]
What I don't like about them is they eat too much f***ing ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#17]
No threads on the end of my barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Not enough accessories available for it. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish the gas system didn't dump crud all over the innards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I don't like about an AR is that I cannot afford to buy all the available models!!!  [devil]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I think a freefloat handguard should be standard, and I wish they would have used a piston instead of a gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish mine would regenerate ammo into its own mags.  Heck, if that happened, I would never leave the range.  LOL

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#24]
- I hate the "sprong" of the buffer spring.

- Direct gas system.

- I agree, A2 stock is too long. I replaced it with an original M-16 buttstock.

- upper/lower slop. Accu wedge solved this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#25]
My biggest gripe; It's a pain to clean, and I'm not that picky about keeping it clean!  I've seen some folks that keep their rifles looking brand spanking new every time I see them.  Amazing!  How do they do it?  If I don't get distracted it takes me 15-20 minutes just to get the big chunks knocked off!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some one makes a little device that can make taking your handguard with ease.  I forgot the company and the deive name but it does work like a champ.  someone here will remember and tell you about it.

Quoted:
View Quote

Simple, Calvery Arms C1 stock.

Quoted:

View Quote

Another simple one, Ergo grip.

Quoted:
View Quote

hmmm, don't pull that hard. [)]

Quoted:
HBAR is heavy.
View Quote

Haven't had an H-BAR for awhile, change it out with something lighter, I bet you can sell your HBAR easily.

Quoted:
View Quote

Go to a KAC M5 RAS, that will make your gun look cooler and hipper and you can mount a sling swivel on the rail and lights, and bi-pods and forward grip and all sort of cool little gidgets. then again, maybe not, it will delete the weight saving of your new light weight barrel. get a RAS nd it will give you a nice tight package.  I have even seen the Fobus M44 and it is solid on an AR.

Play with it, change it and have fun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#27]
- i agree that the A2 stock is too long for putting your nose to the charging handle (i think thats supposed to be the correct method for shooting your AR), but I don't like having my nose to the charging handle.  And to tel you the truth,  when it comes to personal comfort, i wish the A2 stock was longer. I'll probably get an adjustable buttplate for my A2.

- my other complaint is the trigger that bushy comes with.  (but thats only a problem on bushys.  mine will be changed soon though, so then; no complaints)

- mines too new looking also, but I'll fix that [;)]

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#28]
That barrel gets HOT!
Next item on my wish list is a dissipator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#29]
The bolt carrier group. For two reasons.

1) cleaning! augh! heh

2) My bolt carrier key came loose and I need to stake it, though I got loctite on the screws temporarily.

How come is the bolt carrier key seperate from the rest of the bolt carrier if you're not supposed to take it off? Just wondering.

All in all it's a great fun rifle, and while I complain about cleaning it, I've gotten used to it and it's not really all that bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Some one makes a little device that can make taking your handguard with ease.  I forgot the company and the deive name but it does work like a champ.  someone here will remember and tell you about it.

Quoted:
View Quote

Simple, Calvery Arms C1 stock.

Quoted:

View Quote

Another simple one, Ergo grip.

Quoted:
View Quote

hmmm, don't pull that hard. [)]

Quoted:
HBAR is heavy.
View Quote

Haven't had an H-BAR for awhile, change it out with something lighter, I bet you can sell your HBAR easily.

Quoted:
View Quote

Go to a KAC M5 RAS, that will make your gun look cooler and hipper and you can mount a sling swivel on the rail and lights, and bi-pods and forward grip and all sort of cool little gidgets. then again, maybe not, it will delete the weight saving of your new light weight barrel. get a RAS nd it will give you a nice tight package.  I have even seen the Fobus M44 and it is solid on an AR.

Play with it, change it and have fun.

View Quote

I know about the device. On the Maryland Shooter's site, they have a DIY device I might try making.

I am [i]possibly[/i] going with an A1 lenght Vltor.

I have an Ergo. My middle joint still rests naturally on the trigger. Another DIY thing recommended was plumber's putty then painted black. Might try that.

I know. Barrel is also on my list of stuff to eventually change.

RASs, yes, they are very cool, but also pretty pricey.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I hate that none of my AR15s are prebans....

I hate that my AR10 can't be made into a preban config either....

I want the damn AW bill to sunset like a MOFO
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#32]
"What about your AR15/M16 do you [b]not[/b] like?"
the way mine backtalks me when i tell it i've spent enough money on it [:(]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#33]
You mean people DON'T like that AR15?

The Cheat
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

HBAR is heavy.

Now don't take this the wrong way....I LOVE my AR15. I think it is the best system out there. But nothing is perfect!

And yes I realize several of these things could be remedied. But this is how my AR is currently configured.
View Quote

How often do you take your handguards off?

Maybe you have some odd shaped fingers.

I can steady with the sling just fine, Not as steady cradleing it in my arm, but still better than normal.

HBAR is heavy because THATS WHY ITS CALLED A [b]H[/b]eavyfucking[b]BAR[/b]rel

Your hangduards probably wouldn't wobble if you werent insisting on taking them off. I've had mine off once, have had no problems with wobble.

If those things bother you buy an AR in different configuration. If thats not an option and you insist having a perfect rifle out of the box,  get a really high paying job, then start calling custom shops and have one built to your specs.

There is only one thing I personally see as a design flaw in the AR15,  you can't put it on safe with an uncocked rifle. In the AK it's slightly better, but you still have to take safety off to cock/chamber.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The Only thing I don't like about my AR15 is that it keeps cryin for a sister,and ammo! LOL
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Tapco sells a handguard removal tool,
part#Tool0901  $14.99
[url]WWW.tapco.com[/url]

Just a heads up.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#37]
The main thing I dislike about ALL ARs is that alot of idiots and dumbass politicians what to take them away from us. Alot of it based purly on cosmetic reasons. How does a flash suppressor, bayo lug, pistol grip,and  collaspable stock make a weapon any more lethal?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#38]
[b]What about your AR15/M16 do you not like?[/b]

The gas system.  Thats about it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
[b]What about your AR15/M16 do you not like?[/b]

The gas system.  Thats about it.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whine Whine Whine

Ok, you get a free AR, what are you tearing it down for?  

Remove magazine.

Clear chamber.

Check chamber to make sure it is clear and no mag is present.

Recheck chamber, if empty, proceed:

Put buttstock on floor, pull down on handguards, they will release from the front edge.  Reverse to install.
View Quote

This is what I thought too, until I bought my second AR it is a beast. I could not blieve it when I went to take off the handgards. i now know what people are talking about when they complain about them.

I am 6'6" so the butstock is almost long enough for me, and I don't mind the trigger. I guess other than the handgard thing I am satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#41]
The one thing I don't like about my AR is the caliber.  I can make hits at 600 metres all day long but I am not shure about how much damage it will do at that range.  6.8mm would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#42]
The calibre.

The gas system.  Dirty, dirty, dirty.

The silly "schproing" sound it makes.  First time on the range in basic, my first thought was to say "Drill sergeant!  Someone gave me Elmer Fudd's rifle."
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#43]
To anyone who thinks the AR's gas system is "dirty", I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. I'm curious as to why you think this.

How many rounds are you firing before you clean it?

What kind of ammo are you feeding it?

What are using for a lube?

I understand that there are cleaner systems out there  like AK's and HK G-36's. If you think the AR's gas system makes your rifle filthy, don't ever buy an HK delayed blowback firearms like HK91, HK93, HK94, or MP-5. You have no idea what a dirty rifle is until you clean one of those.

Also, since I started using FP-10 (switched from Breakfree CLP), my AR is much easier to clean and, on average, I shoot 350 rnds every time I use it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I think this might be a defect, but the ammo keeps comming out. I mean, ill just start shooting and all the ammo just goes flying out the side and fromt of the rifle...

I guess 30 rounds is just not enough, maybe a bigger mag would help [;)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To anyone who thinks the AR's gas system is "dirty", I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. I'm curious as to why you think this.

How many rounds are you firing before you clean it?

What kind of ammo are you feeding it?

What are using for a lube?

I understand that there are cleaner systems out there  like AK's and HK G-36's. If you think the AR's gas system makes your rifle filthy, don't ever buy an HK delayed blowback firearms like HK91, HK93, HK94, or MP-5. You have no idea what a dirty rifle is until you clean one of those.

Also, since I started using FP-10 (switched from Breakfree CLP), my AR is much easier to clean and, on average, I shoot 350 rnds every time I use it.
View Quote

The fact that its a dirty system doesn't bother me so much as the reliability under sustained fire.  Believe me, I have a couple full auto HK's so cleaning a dirty system is not an issue - my M16's are a breeze to clean compared to the HK's.  Its the reliability that irks me.  I've seen gas tubes turn to cherry-red mush in less than 100rds full auto from a beta-mag.  And of course, the melting gas tube does perform a valuable function as it acts like a circuit breaker that trips before you have a catastrophic failure due to too much heat going back into the upper receiver and the bolt.  But why should all that hot gas be running back into the upper and through the bolt in the first place?  There are better ways to achieve the same result without putting so much heat back into a delicate system (ie. gas piston outside of the upper).
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Not like crud getting dumped inside reeceivers? Gas trap, Gas trap, Gas trap.  Next complaint. I'll try to post pic of system with suppressor tomorrow, if I can figure out how.  Otherwise, I'll ask someone to post for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#47]
It is the gas system that makes an AR so inherintly accurate.  It makes for good barrel harmonics and it allows the barrel to be freefloated.  If you strap on a gas piston accuracy will suffer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't care for some of the odd design "quirks" about the AR.  For example the way the buffer system extends into the stock.  It never bothered me until the other day when I got a casing jammed in the chamber partway out and naturally the ejector wouldn't let go, so since the bolt carrier is now partly in the stock, I can't seperate the upper and lower to effect an easy removal.  

Also, the bolt/bolt carrier design is a little bit overdone in my opinion.  It seems to me they could have simplified it considerably without sacrificing anything at all.  

I also don't like how hard it is to remove the handguards.  I know there is a tool but I don't think you should need any tools to do basic disassembly on a combat rifle.

The A2 stock is a bit long, and although it seems nice for comfy offhand shooting (which is why many here say they think it's perfect, IMO), I think it is long for a quick shouldering combat rifle.  

Oh yeah, and that "sproing" sound is a little bothersome as well.  The vibration through the stock and forearm after firing seem more pronounced in the AR system then any other I've used.  It might be the nature of the synthetics however.

But, overall, I like 'em.  

Oh yeah, the other thing is how there are so many accessories out there that you have to spend tons of cash to stay "up to date" and to keep from feeling inadiquate.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
While sitting in the gunsafe it gets really bored!! It begs me to by more toys for it!!! I think it needs a timeout in the corner or out to range we go!!

Stuart
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Why would you bother to take the handguards off anyway?  Since I have 2 FF tubed ARs am I missing something here?

I hate how its so easy to chew through several hundred rounds of ammo at a time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top