Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 8:40:37 AM EDT
I had the chance to do some blasting this weekend, Saturday and Monday actually.  I was shooting the Oly, 11.5" bbl with long flash hider.  Anyhow, Saturdays fodder was Winchester white box 5.56.  I ran out so on Monday I switched to Federal XM193.  Both days it was overcast, similar weather.  I was freekin amazed at the difference btw the two loads.  The Winchester (which is what I'm used to) creates just a bit of flash noticable on the hider slits.  On the other hand the Federal shoots a flame about two feet long for the hider!  My wife commented after she fired it, 'it's like shooting a flamethrower!', and it was.  The Federal seemed to have more 'kick' as well.... for an AR anyhow.  For what it's worth I used one of those british mags the whole time, it worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal XM193 is definately a hotter round.
I believe the winchester is 55 grain and the federal is 62 grain. This could explain the increase in muzzle flash between the two loads.
So, the british mags functioned flawlessly with both loads. I guess i'll give in and purchase some SA80 mags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed 100% here.

Several times I used LC, Q3131A and WOLF ALL mixed up in a few mags. Ran two-three mags through my rifle just for a little taste test. Rifle & magazines functioned flawlessly.

Every time the LC was shot, it was obvious with the fireball out of the barrel. The Q3131A was a noticeable pop and the Wolf looked/felt like a 22 caliber cap gun.

I recommend it trying it that way.

btw, no that Federal (LC) is 55 grain not 62.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the federal was LC2000 55gr.  I like it!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
X193 is 55 grain FMJBT
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
X[red]M[/red]193 is 55 grain FMJBT
View Quote

hehe, yeah I'm anal
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
XM193 is the stuff for all around IMO.  Much more fun to shoot and if TSHTF you've got good ammo for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top