Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2003 7:40:31 AM EDT
I have been mulling over the last couple of months on putting up for trade, my Pre-ban. It is a Colt Sporter Lightweight slabside lower, sear block, made in 1991. The upper is a upper that I got back in June of 2001 from the now infamous AZ Shooter, which was supposed to be a FN contract upper. It does have the Colt bolt and carrier in it. It has less than 500 rounds down the pipe.

This is how my ad would read

have a Pre-ban AR-15 for trade for several items I’m looking for. It is a Colt Sporter
Lightweight Carbine lower, made in 1991, with a FN contract M4 type upper. 1/9 twist barrel,
flashhider, bayo lug, M4 handguards, the upper does not have the feedramp cuts.. Furniture has
been painted green and sealed with a flat finish. Lower is sear blocked and has a 4 position
telescoping stock.  Upper has had less than 500 rounds run through it.

The ARMS #38, Aimpoint, rail and foregrip are not included, you will have to furnish carry
handle or sight system.

Will trade for the following-
1. A excellent condition, Post-ban RRA or Bushmaster lower with a RRA M4 upper with fake,
pressed on flash suppressor, M4 profile barrel, M4 handguards and pinned telescoping stock. Do
not need carry handle or sighting system. Green or Black furniture, it does not matter. NO
EXCEPTIONS ON THE REQUIREMENTS ON THIS RIFLE. I stand firm on what I want on
the rifle.

And -

2. Either a Sig P228, Walther P99 or a Beretta 92F. Would like them to be in excellent condition.
Would prefer hi-cap mags if possible, but at a minium 3 mags.  May look at other makes of
9mm’s, but a 9mm is what I want. Hi-caps, holsters-NO KYDEX, Night Sights, a plus.

Or

3. Cash difference - Somewhere in the $500-600 range

Please do not over value your Post-ban AR to me, I have already built one, using RRA parts for
under $600, and know that most post-bans, except Colt, are in the $700-800 dollar range.

Looking for a face-to-face trade in Indiana or Kentucky only. I cannot entertain trades from any
other states as for I do not have a FFL to have guns sent to.

I was going to list just the gun and sling, and keeping the Aimpoint and ARMS #38, the rail and forgrip.

I was thinking of looking for a Post-ban RRA or Bushy lower with a RRA M4 profile barrel upper with the fake flashhider and a pistol, like a P228, 92F or maybe a P99...or a cash difference...

I'm not really sure, about 60% of me says the ban is going to sunset, but there is that little voice in the back of my head that says it may get renewed forever... but cash is tight right now and I want another pistol and still have a rifle and this might be a way to do that. And I figure if I'm going to do it, now is the time, instead of waiting until the last moment....I dunno...

What do you all think?...thanks, Dan
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep it. If you want a Bushy or RRA, go buy one instead of a trade. Now you'll have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd keep it. If you want a Bushy or RRA, go buy one instead of a trade. Now you'll have the best of both worlds.
View Quote

You missed one of my points...extra cash for me is extremly tight, if not non-existent....if I had that cash, I would keep the pre-ban and buy the pistol I want...My logic was that my pre-ban's value would allow me to get both a post-ban AR [i]and[/i]        the pistol....
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Dog' thats the way I looked at it.....1 pre-ban =2 postbans........ hey I got 2 hands It was a sighn from the gods.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
what about lay away?  i'd do that instead of sell the preban.  anything else you could sell besides the rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You asked.

Your trade requirements come across as "my way or the highway". I would tone it down, The art of a sale is to be flexible. Implying people will overprice their PB is insulting. That wording turns people off from even making initial contact.

Why can't you find an FFL? That opens you up to 48 more states you can sell too? Hard to believe you cannot find an FFL to ship to/from? Have you tried? gunsamerica and other gun boards have lists of thousands that would do it for a reasonable fee.

In my experience, trades are hard to pull off. Much easier to sell for cash and then buy what you want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Dog1,
I would SELL that AR you have.  However, I would wait about one more month for the weather to cool.  Excepting a couple or three hard-core collector type AR's I have only one preban AR remaining and I plan to move that one in October.

RenegadeX is correct when he recommends selling for cash and buying what you want - IMHO.  Also limiting yourself to face-to-face is bad, very bad.  There must be an FFL within and hours driving distance of you that will do transfers ????
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
1. It is my rifle and since that, Yes it is "My way or the highway"

2. I have seen post-ban greatly over-valued here, so I make no apologies for that one.

3. Every FFL I have contacted with-in a reasonable driving distance wants +$50 buck for a transfer...fuck that, I'm not paying that..

4. I don't want to do paperwork....

Thanks to all for the replies....
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2. I have seen post-ban greatly over-valued here, so I make no apologies for that one.

3. Every FFL I have contacted with-in a reasonable driving distance wants +$50 buck for a transfer...fuck that, I'm not paying that..

View Quote

With that additude, you'll be lucky to get any sale.Also keep in mind that you don't have to ship your rifle from a FFL.You can send it directly to the buyer's FFL with no extra fees on your end.You can also ship it USPS which would probably be better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. I have seen post-bans greatly over-valued here, so I make no apologies for that one.

View Quote

With that additude, you'll be lucky to get any sale.Also keep in mind that you don't have to ship your rifle from a FFL.You can send it directly to the buyer's FFL with no extra fees on your end.You can also ship it USPS which would probably be better.
View Quote

Doesn't anyone take the time to read anymore...I know HOW to ship a gun, been doing it for a long time, in reference to the FFL was for trades...I HAVE NO FFL I WANT TO GET HOSED WITH FEES FROM TO TAKE A TRADE THROUGH...

Geez....
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I can fault you on anything you have written.. and frankly it is your weapon and it is your highway..
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Frankly I would dump any preban Colt that doesn't have an independent historical value (i.e., marked "AR-15" or Gov't Carbine) forget this 60% of you thinks... bit. The FACT is that the ban will sunset. It may have worse legislation to replace it, but that will take time. There will be a window (maybe 2 months, maybe 3 years) when all this BS is done away with. When that time comes you have a used gun, not a pre ban. So what about after the worse legislation pases? Well, which would you pay good money for in 2005, a 2003 AR refitted with "evil features" or a 1992 rifle with the same. Assuming the 2 are on level playing fields with respect to historical value the former will command the better price. Moreover the kind of $ you will get for your preban now won't be the same for a good long time after all of this.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top