Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2003 6:48:57 AM EDT
This happened to me this weekend and I thought it worth mentioning. Just to set the record straight,I own 2 Colt prebans and 1 Bushmaster postban. So, I was at the range testing the reliability of some used GI magazines when I discovered one of the magazines was a little hard to insert/remove into the Colt but functioned fine otherwise. Next, I tested it in my Bustmaster and found that it easily inserted/removed. Using my dial calipers I measured(as best I could)the rear portion of the magazine well in both firearms and here is what I found: the Bushmaster measured .90 inches, both Colts measured .89 inches. This is just enough difference (for this particular magazine stick in the Colt and not the Bushmaster. Since the Colt has the tighter magazine well, I will use it in the future to determine magazine fit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:08:44 AM EDT
if anyone was wondering, based on linky to blueprint in another post, spec is .91 + or - .03. so they are both within spec, but the bushy is tighter. to spec that is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:15:58 AM EDT
I have an Armalite and a Bushmaster ; the Armalite is tighter. Important thing is - if a mag. won't drop free, it becomes a "range mag" only.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:23:39 AM EDT
That happened to me once. I was shooting my post-ban Bushy carbine and one gentleman comes with his pre-ban Colt rifle. We let each other shoot each other's AR, and I couldn't insert or remove my 30 rnd US GI magazines as easily as I did on my Bushmaster on his Colt. It was very tight. His 20 round magazine had no problems with his rifle though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:08:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AKsRule: I have an Armalite and a Bushmaster ; the Armalite is tighter. Important thing is - if a mag. won't drop free, it becomes a "range mag" only.
View Quote
I've found that pretty much any mag will become drop free ready after a few dozen or more times in and out.
Top Top