Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/28/2003 7:51:59 PM EDT
I went out and fired my wife's AR today. Man that AK muzzle brake is LOUD!!! I may need to get a new barrel sometime in the near future. But it sure is fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:59:10 PM EDT
You might want to change that barrel BEFORE the wife tries her new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:59:42 PM EDT
I had two AR's with AK brakes, they shot great, but they were SOOOO LOUD!!! They had to go ... I know one should always wear hearing protection, but sometimes the Dillo's dont wait you to put them on!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:54:57 PM EDT
I went from Mini-Y to bare muzzle 16" and you know what? It still completely eliminates my hearing in a single shot. Of course I only tried it once per barrel, but the truth is I think all ARs shorter the 20" will knock your hearing out with 1-2 shots. I was still happier though because the blast was what pissed me off. I don't know how that thing got adopted by BM... Does the AK brake cause a blast back at you? I've got one myself, but it's better version and it's on my Krebs Custom AK-74 [:D] It creates no backblast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:25:05 PM EDT
Does the AK brake cause a blast back at you? I've got one myself, but it's better version and it's on my Krebs Custom AK-74 [:D] It creates no backblast.
View Quote
mine dosen't put any of the blast back at me... but i sat beside my friend as he shot my rifle once [:O].. now I feel sorry for the poor bastards who have to sit beside me at the range (and i already felt sorry for the guys who sit on my right, who always gets covered in nice, warm, shiny brass. [:D])
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:32:10 AM EDT
Have you guys tried earplugs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:31:13 AM EDT
I shot it with ear plugs. But I tried it without on one shot, OUCH! And yes there is a blast in your face. It will just have to go bye bye. Any ideas on who can do it or do I just get a new barrel? [8D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:38:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phessor: I shot it with ear plugs. But I tried it without on one shot, OUCH! And yes there is a blast in your face. It will just have to go bye bye. Any ideas on who can do it or do I just get a new barrel? [8D]
View Quote
Just get a new barrel. Send your old one to me. [thinking] I've been wanting a AK muzzle brake myself but I have a 16" DPMS .963" diameter barrel. [img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS_V.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:46:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phessor: I went out and fired my wife's AR today. Man that AK muzzle brake is LOUD!!! I may need to get a new barrel sometime in the near future. But it sure is fun to shoot. [8D]
View Quote
My Oly M4 has their style brake on it, and actually, its not so bad. No back blast, plus you can take it off easily, 4 allens. Seems to work pretty good, no muzzle flip at all. Might wanna give it a whirl if you need a brake.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:57:15 AM EDT
This is what I would like to do. "I have a 14-1/2" A2 upper with an AK brake on it making it 16" over all. I would like to trade for a 16" A2 Upper without a muzzle brake on it. It can be light, heavy or M4 profile. I will post pictures later." [8D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
Worst muzzle brake I've ever experienced is my JP Enterprises brake. It has the ability to redirect the most harsh and painful portions of a muzzle blast directly back at the shooter. Even on a 24inch barrel it is DEATH to the ears. In 4+ years of owning the rifle I have fired it without hearing protection exactly 2 times, first was to find out how loud it was for educational purposes and the 2nd time was a mistake when I forgot to drop my hearing protection over my ears after trying to listen to a friend talk. Just painful as all hell, I'd hate to think what a 300WinMag would be like with my brake installed on it.
Top Top