Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:23:16 PM EDT
I am looking for an accurate upper, I have been looking at the Bushmaster 16" v-match or maybe one of the bull barreled uppers from DPMS, RRA or Oly. Any thoughts or experiences? accuracy results? any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:20:41 PM EDT
I have an Olympic Arms PCR-16 (16 inch chrome-moly heavy barrel). With my own loads it will shoot 0.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Mind you, this is with careful case preparation, but I love the whole process of working up accurate loads. The rifle is likely capable of doing better than 0.5 MOA- I'm not the greatest shot in the world. Bifocals and scopes are a tough combination! I'd buy another Oly without hesitation- good luck with your decision. Nimbus
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:28:42 PM EDT
I second the Oly PCR-16. I had one (sold because I wanted lightweight upper) and it was great. Super accurate, though heavy. Plus, the complete rifle can be had for under $700. Ghost
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:33:16 PM EDT
Where do you purchase the Oly PCR16 uppers? Thier website is pretty much useless... Can you recommend a good source?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:35:15 PM EDT
The BM V-match is a popular upper; the DPMS or RRA will be just good for accuracy. I couldn't tell you that one will be better than the other but I like a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:10:50 AM EDT
I bought my Oly from a local gun shop. They didn't have it in stock, but they got it from their distributor for me- only took about a week or so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:53:46 AM EDT
I have an Oly SUM and it can shoot better than I can. Best group to date is .785" at 200yds, off of elbows and bipod. The PCR 2 or 3 should be just as good. What seperates Oly from the rest is their broach cut SS barrels. They are super accurate and a joy to clean, relatively speaking, if you like cleaning. The Maxhard option on the barrels is nice too, makes them super smooth and even easier to clean. Also have an Oly M4, but have not shot for accuracy yet. Quarter size groups at 50yds, open sights are no problem, that was just shooting to break in the barrel. I have been well pleased with both rifles, I ordered thru my local FFL dealer. They usually give the dealer a better price than the MSRP, hopefully he will pass it on to you. I think Oly is the best value out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2003 9:02:03 AM EDT by martinTN]
Originally Posted By skid2964: Where do you purchase the Oly PCR16 uppers? Thier website is pretty much useless... Can you recommend a good source?
View Quote
Their website has a list of distributors, you could order directly, seeing as you just want an upper. [url]http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:09:48 AM EDT
Contact Mark Buddam at www.triplebreakproducts.com. He is an authorized vendor for Olympic Arms, and if Oly has it, Mark can get it. Call him or email him and ask, he will tell you everything you need to know. I'm sure you can get the PCR-16 upper through him. Ghost
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:34:32 AM EDT
Another vote for Olympic Arms. Max
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:52:36 PM EDT
i have a BUSHY 16" V-MATCH .and a leupold 6x18x40 scope.shot a 2 3/4" group at 300 yards yesterday using xm193 ammo also shot a 6 7/8" group at 500 yards.my friends savage bolt gun couldnt touch it.only things i dont like are the muzzle jump, and flash..
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:30:44 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has the PCR-16. Talk about an amazing rifle. He shatters clay pigeon debris out to 300-meters like it's nothing. I, personally, am going to be adding that one to my toy box also. FWIW, I've talked to the guys at Oly and they quoted me $470 (IIRC), that was with chromoly bbl and regular FF handguard, however, I believe that I'll opt for the s/s bbl and FIRSH handguard instead. Anyways, good luck!
Top Top