Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 5:25:54 PM EDT
or would it be considered a short barrled rifle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It must have no stock and weigh less than 50 ounces unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
According to fed law, once a rifle always a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
According to fed law, once a rifle always a rifle.
View Quote

Just to be a smartass.........

If you converted it to a machinegun it's no longer a rifle, and would never be considered a rifle again [:)]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
No SBR in MI, unless it has historical value, IE C&R.
If I have time later, I'll look up the link.
Also, check out the michigan hometown forum. This has been kicked around a few times in the recent past.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It is my opinion, in answer to your second question, that rifles and shotguns whose barrels are at least 16 and 18 inches in length, respectively, with folding and/or telescoping stocks, which are fully operable with stocks folded or contracted, and whose lengths are less than 26 inches with stocks folded or contracted, fall within the definitions of 'short-barreled rifle' and 'short-barreled shotgun,' and their sale or possession is prohibited by MCL 750.224b; MSA 28.421(2).
View Quote

[url=http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/1980s/op06280.htm]source[/url]
I actually had a better description, but couldn't find it.
I guess that nothing is really better than the official opinion, no?
edited to add:
Here it is:
16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.  MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.
from the [url=http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_4654-10953--,00.html]MSP CCW FAQ[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top