Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 4:06:16 PM EDT
Thinking about a new uppe rin 300 Whisper.
Ammo is about $17 a box, about the same as a box of good varminting loads.

I could actually hunt deer with an AR, thats kinda cool...same clips and bolt, thats cool.

Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=34121&iGalleryUnq=861&iImageUnq=16130[/img]
This is my 300 Whisper with a 1 in 10 slim profile match barrel from AR15Barrels.com. Using Corbon 150 gr Soft point it consistently groups inside one inch at 100 yds. First 30 cal rifle that has little or no muzzle flash, muzzle rise, and recoil. It is a sweet rifle.

My setup is a DPMS upper and lower, JT Trigger and low mass hammer (breaks at 3.5 lbs no creep or over travel) Leupold 3x9x40 VarieX III, Hogue overmolded free float forearm and Hogue pistol grip, and all I can remember is the bipod is NOT Harris.

This setup is for 180/185 grain bullets. If you want to shoot heavier ones (190+ gr) then get a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

If you reload, then making your own brass is easy. I make mine from LC military brass. I like the mil-surp brass because it is stronger.  Lots of loads to work up to using many different powders and bullets.

[red]Just remember this is a wildcat caliber and as such you will have to insure that every load you have has been tested in your weapon. That includes the "Factory Ammo"[/red]

If you get it send me an IM and I'll send you copies of the loads I have so far.

Check out this 300 Whisper link

[url]http://www.quarterbore.com/300whisper/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's one opinion, they are awesome with an integral suppressor, all you hear is the click of the hammer falling, and the recoil spring softly going twang...
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always thought this was an intriguing round. It can be also be loaded to sonic velocities I believe in the 1800 fps area. I also believe there is a .338 whisper as well.

I have not shot either but have been tempted to get a barrel for one just to try it out.

DKreh
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
With 110 grain bullets it should get up to around 2100fps if not slightly more.   It doesn't give up too terribly much to the 7.62x39mm when using lighter bullets.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top