Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 1:46:41 PM EDT
I have a self inflicted dilemma.  I have a preban Colt AR15A2 HBAR.  I rarely shoot it because it has a 1/7" twist heavy barrel.  

I have (6) AR15s, (5) of them are carbines and my Colt PREBAN AR15A2 is my only AR with a 20" barrel.

Due to the heavy barrel and the 1/7" twist (I shoot 55gr. ammo exclusively and the fast twist doesn't like the 55gr. ammo at longer ranges) I had planned on either getting an 1/9 twist, A2 profile, 20" barrel OR setting the AR15A2 up as an M4.

I already have an extra collapesable buttstock, so the cost of a 16" M4 barrel or the 20" A2 barrel would be about the same.  Cost wise either project would cost me about the same amount of money.

So the question is, should I take my PREBAN Colt and turn it into an M4 Carbine or leave it as a 20" AR15A2 and just put the A2 1/9" barrel on it????????????

Here is some pics of my collection:

Eagle Arms Preban

Bushmaster M4 with Trijicon TA01NSN and Custom LeVang Leaving Linear comp

Bushmaster Shorty AK w/ Aimpoint ML2 and Knights RIS

Bushmaster Dissipator w/ Trijicon TA11 and Kurts Kustom A3 brake

Bushmaster Superlightweight w/ Kurts Kustom A2 brake and Surefire M500

Colt AR15A2 HBAR Preban

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing how you have a few M4geries already, how about a CAR-15?  11.5=5.5 flash hider.  This way you can still use the A2 upper when you want to.  Is that an A2 or A1 stock on it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, nice collection. What did you do, run off your wife, hehe.

I'll take the; Bushmaster M4 with Trijicon TA01NSN and Custom LeVang Leaving Linear comp. That's ok I already got one.

As for the preban, if I did anything to it, I'd replace the barrel and sight assembly and turn it into a match or varmint rifle. Better yet sell it whole and use the proceeds to buy a match or varmint profile upper for the least used M-4. Nice to have a precision long range rifle around.

Damn, so many rifles, so many choices. Makes my head spin just thinking about it.

I would definately not need another M-4 profile.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Another year and all my post-bans are pre-bans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd leave it be, that's my .02 cents worth.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Like HBAR's keep it original. Thats my 2cents
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not going to replace the upper receiver.  If I go with the M4 or the AR15A2 set up I will only change out the barrel and leave the A2 upper receiver in place.  (The Colt is an original COLT AR15A2 HBAR as is marked on the lower receiver.  The stights and stock are A2 configuratoin)

Just thought I would add that so people wouldn't recommend getting a flat top receiver.

Thanks for you help  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
That Colt  is in the perfect configuration to shoot DCM matches. It is also on the way to be a long range rifle. As such I would leave it alone, except to add some long range shooting accessories, like a scope etc.

However, if you are all fired up about building another rifle, find you a Colt upper that will fit your lower and build that one. Then you would have an original Colt and another rifle you can shoot your 55gr ammo out of.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies thus far.

I guess it would help if I went indepth a little more.  I don't do DCM / CMP style competition.  Most of the shooting that I do is IDPA (defensive / tactical) and 3 gun matches (I usually shoot iron sights, I'm NOT into the $5,000 race guns and stuff like that)

I carried an M16A2 for 4 years while I was a grunt in the Corps and now I'm a Detective / SWAT Officer so some of my personal ARs are also used at work.

My Colt Preban AR15A2 is pretty much a "safe queen" right now because I find her too heavy to use in competition / casual shooting / practice shooting.  I also don't care for the 1/7 twist.  

I'm not hell bent on building another rifle but I would like to at least change the barrel to an A2 configuration with 1/9 twist or turn it into an M4....I'm kind of leaning toward getting a 20" A2 1/9" barrel....But I'm also still thinking about turning it into an M4.  What do you think?!?!?

One other question, does anyone know where I can get a 20" Colt A2 preban barrel or a 16" Colt M4 barrel and do they make these barrels with the 1/9" twist or am I going to have to get a Bushmaster barrel?

Thanks again

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, what with your collection already so full of carbines, I think you ought to have at least one representation of the trusty M16A2 in there.  It's a classic.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I did'nt know Colt used Slabside lowers to build A2's? Why No bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The rifle was built in Sept of 1990, it is marked COLT AR15A2 HBAR and had all the A2 upgrades minus the countour of the barrel which is a HBAR and the mag fence.

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, the AR15A2 with a 20" gov't profile barrel is the foundation of my AR collection and I don't think any collection would be complete without one. It truly is the Jack-of-all-trades in the AR world. Your collection already leans a little too heavily towards the carbines, in my personal opinion. I'd keep at least one full size model around in case you need to reach out a little farther

Furthermore, I don't see the point of having a heavy barrel unless it is used in conjunction with a flat top upper and optics. The HBAR has probably been one of if not the most successful marketing gimmick for ARs. I have a pre-ban Colt R6601 Sporter HBAR that I purchased way back when only becasue it was great deal and a private sale. I never shoot it because it just seems too unbalanced and akward compared to my R6550 Gov't Model for the offhand casual shooting and plinking that I prefer. The HBAR was reconfigured as an M4 style carbine for a while, but I've since found another platform on which to build my M4 and the HBAR is back to it's original configuration and gathering dust in the back of my gun vault. Eventually I'm going to procure a Colt AR15A2/M16A2 gov't profile 20" barrel and swap it onto the HBAR so I can get more use out of it as a shooter.

As far as 1/7 vs 1/9, I've never really noticed a difference, but I'm not a paper puncher, either. With my 1/7 barrel, I can repeatedly hit soda can size targets at 100-200 yds using 55g and 62g ammuniton interchangably. If you're that concerned with accuracy, perhaps you would be better served with a HBAR mounted to a scoped flat top upper receiver.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Put the upper assy in the safe, and try a 9mm upper. Have some fun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like the only thing your missing is a nice SPR
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I too had a dilemma, converted my Colt sporter 20" HBAR to my SPR gun

Was:
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f22d1b8_d8ce/bc/MyPics/Colt_A2.jpg?bcpPCT_AXrF_cgSv[/img]

to:
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f22d1b8_d8ce/bc/MyPics/SPR.jpg?bcpPCT_AcE1Y8tRH[/img]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Furret,

Can't see the pics...Try again.

I'm really not interested in turning this rifle into a SPR.  Like I said previously I'm not looking to build a new rifle.  This will either be a M4 or AR15A2 project.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I realize it's not in the list of optinos, but have you considered picking up an SP1 upper for it?

Triangle handguards, A1 rear sight, and the slim pencil barrel in 1/12" (which is perfect for the 55gr pills you use).

I don't know why, but I truly love my AR15 SP1, and the SP2 HBAR kinda sits there and doesn't get used much. I like them both, but I think the SP1 looks better and is a hell of a lot lighter.

The upper will drop right on your lower. You might also be able to score an M16A1 upper for pretty cheap...you'll need an adapter pin from Bushmaster to use it in the lower, but it, too, will drop right on.

This way you can easily go back to it's original configuration without having to screw around with buttstocks..it's lighter, and it'll work very well for defensive/tactical stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#18]
 I had the same dilemma but couldn't justify disassembling my Match HBAR for any reason....nor my SP1A1....so I hooked myself out and came up with the cash for a little SGW that I could torment to my heart's desire and I knew I'd never feel guilty about it.  It's a little CAR15 and I love it.  Not as much as I love My Pretty Ponies...but it's still a great little carbine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Why don't you just replace the barrel with a 20" lightweight 1X9 or better yet buy one of the new 1X12 20" A-1 uppers that are starting to become available? They are standard government issue Colt and are finished in the original Colt gray and have the triangular handguards. No problem to get refinished to match your black lower. It seems to me that you have more than enough carbines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Leave it as an AR-15A2
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did'nt know Colt used Slabside lowers to build A2's?
View Quote

Sure did, I have one.
Colt is the master of the exception.
As far as what to do, I picked up mine to turn it into an M4, but it was just too purty like it was.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
USMC03, I smell what you're cooking.

Here's my take.  You know you want a 1:9, so get one.  But keep it a 20" barrel, and instead go for a M16 gov't profile barrel, with of course a 1:9 twist.

Check Bushmaster, they've got em.  In fact I'm in the process of purchasing an A2 upper with that exact barrel for my PWA lower.

Semper Fi soldier.

H

Oh, and sell the 1:7 on the EE to help fund the project.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Semper Fi Marine!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh wait, I second the SP1 upper idea.  Since the tactical end is covered, an SP1-type rifle would allow you to appreciate what the AR15 was originally all about.  There was definately merit to the AR in it's simple, sleek original, ultra light original form.  I'd go three-prong too.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
USMC03, I smell what you're cooking.

Here's my take.  You know you want a 1:9, so get one.  But keep it a 20" barrel, and instead go for a M16 gov't profile barrel, with of course a 1:9 twist.

Check Bushmaster, they've got em.  In fact I'm in the process of purchasing an A2 upper with that exact barrel for my PWA lower.

Semper Fi soldier.

H

Oh, and sell the 1:7 on the EE to help fund the project.
View Quote

Hokie,

Thanks for chiming in.  

I was looking for advice as to what I should do with my Colt preban AR15A2 HBAR.

I was thinking of either putting a 20" A2 profile barrel with a 1/9 twist, or maybe into an M4.  Those were the only options I listed that I was interested in and I have gotten advice on everything from a SPR to a 9mm and everything inbetween.  You gotta love the internet (not trying to be an ass, just wasn't getting the response I was looking for)  ;)

I had been eyeing the Bushmaster 20" A2 Profile 1/9 barrel for over a month.  Then the thought of turning it into a M4 crossed my mind so I thought I'd bring it here.  Like was stated above I am leaning a little more toward the A2 configuration.  But the plan has always been to sell the HBAR on the EE board.  :)

Take care and stay safe guys

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree with others here- You already have several carbines (including an M4).  Keep a 20" in the family.  

You can always get another twist barrel for it.  But if you do, keep it a Colt so everything matches.   If it were any other brand, mix-n-match all you want.  Colts always seem to be worth more value, even if they are not necessarily better quality than brand X.  That's another thread...

SP-1 is always an inexpensive companion for a 20" A2!  Get one of those also.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know where I can get a 20", 1/9" twist, preban Colt barrel??

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I would save a little (ok a lot) of money and turn it into a SPR.  I am wanting one of those soooooo bad.

Nice collection.  drooooolllllll.

JBritt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top