Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2003 6:05:30 PM EDT
I have an SP-1 and love it, even with its below average sights and missing a couple other features.

If you had none, which would you buy?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Right now, none. But, if I saw a good deal, I might snatch up a marked Colt AR-15. Just because they probably won't ever be marked that way again.

Oh, and you do realize that you can swap out parts on your rifle to make it the way you want, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have none, that tells me you either can't afford to collect, aren't into collecting, or your collection of AR's is small hence - small budget.  In that later case, I would get a Bushy, it's more practical and costs less.  If it is going to be the only AR, or you want to get it to collect, and not shoot the crap out of it, get the Colt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
OR,

get an Essential Arms, PWA, Oly, or Eagle Arms lower.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OR,

get an Essential Arms, PWA, Oly, or Eagle Arms lower.
View Quote

Didn't you just get a PWA pre-ban lower? [:)]

I agree with you Hokie. I just bought an Oly/SGW pre-ban lower and, if you did buy the PWA lower, we bought them from the same person.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
As much as I'd like to think there won't be another AWB after the bill sunsets, I'm sure there will be another.In any case, now is the best time to buy a preban if you don't have one already.PWA, Essential Arms, and Olympic Arms are all great lowers.I think Essential makes a cast lower as well so make sure you know what you're getting.I think the best deal would be one of the Olympic lowers that's been replaced by Olympic with a new lower and re-serialized.I personally would avoid BM only because I'd be out more $$ if there were no new AW laws enacted after the sunset.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Essential Arms [b]ONLY[/b] made cast lowers to my knowledge.  Having said that, they were investment cast (many by Ruger) and are some of the highest quality castings around.  I have had several of them, and still have a couple.  I think they are a bargain compared to the going rate on many other pre-ban lowers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Original COlt smooth side SP-1
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't buy an sp1 because of the large pivot pin hole.

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
and no fence arround the mag release.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend at work with an Eagle Arms pre-ban with the A1 style upper and lower.  I wish I could talk him out of it so I could make an M16A1 lookalike out of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go for a Colt with small push pin and raised fence for my SBR project.

Was that called "White Label"?

MM419
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy an sp1 because of the large pivot pin hole.
View Quote

Quoted:
and no fence arround the mag release.
View Quote

In case you missed it, the title of this post is "Which Preban AR [b]Would[/b] You Buy?" not "Which Preban AR [b]Wouldn't[/b] You Buy?". [:)]

JustL00king, now that you've narrowed down your choices, why don't you tell us which one you [b]would[/b] buy? We already know it won't have an RAS on it.  [:)]

Back on topic - I'd just pick up a good quality forged lower and build it up from there with an A3 upper...which is what I'm actually doing now as it turns out[:)]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't think the "no fence" around the mag release would be a big deal, but it really is. When did they start putting those on?

My gun was made in 1975.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely a SP-1, then I'd find appropriate parts and build myself a GAU-5 clone. No flattop, no F/A, no optics, just a simple effective little carbine.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got an Oly and I didn't really know what I've got untill reading about them latley. Oly is to "the best of my knowledge" the only manufacturer that will replace a beat up, broke, or out of spec. reciever. To ME this makes them priceless or it's like getting insurance when you but it. With nobody knowing which way the ban is going Olyimpic may be your best lifetime investment. If you get a Colt for example and the ban stays and by an act of God your lower gos south then your back out on the market for a replacement. An Oly owner will be paying $150.00 for a brand new unit. Unless God forbid the federal gov't decides for the people of the great state of Florida that its in there own good not to be able to repair the very rifles that where created in there very defense. LIVE FREE OR DIE, FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THAT FEARS YOUR GUNS, sorry had to vent.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an Eagle and an Essential and must say that both of them are just wonderful.  The essential is a great lower and well worth the money.  Its a workhorse and i have had ZERO issues with both except never enough ammo ;)

Both are in M4A2 configurations tho i'm thinking ofmaking the EAgle into an HBAR config soon with full stock for a longer 'reach out and touch' feel :)

Both are great rifles tho! Highly reccomend
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I would definetly look for a preban Bushmaster first. Next choice would be an Eagle Arms(lower) which are very high quality forgings, and often underated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didn't think the "no fence" around the mag release would be a big deal, but it really is. When did they start putting those on?

My gun was made in 1975.
View Quote

You really have a problem with accidentally dropping mags ??
As much as I have shot slabsides, in many different positions and conditions, I have never accidentally hit the mag release.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top