Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 8:30:38 PM EDT
Just want to pass this on- bought my first ar a little while back, a colt lightweight with fixed carry handle. Everything was fine until I started shooting 100-200 yards and decided I needed a scope. Bought a compact but I was having all kinds of problems with eye relief, scope height and just plain "comfortability".

You guys gave me some ideas but nothing worked.

Finally went to gun show, sold the lightweight and compact scope in the parking lot, took a $45 loss. Went inside and bought a colt M-4,($929) and a tasco scope with target knobs($70). Now I am in plinking heaven.

TAKE MY ADVICE FREE OF CHARGE-if your ever plan on using a scope on an ar spend a little more and buy either the flat top or one with the removable handle.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately your experience is very common yet very avoidable. Just a little research before buying always helps. I'm not knockin' you, I've bought guns without extensive research, I just got lucky and wound up with all my hopes fulfilled. I am still new to the AR and my first is a RRA M4A4 (flat-top). It will be a while before I buy an Aimpoint, so I got a detahcbale carry handle for the time being. So far it works! I'm still getting used to the irons but I feel I have made a very wise choice!
Take care,
B9
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why didn't you just buy a new flat top upper for $100 instead of taking the loss and buying another rifle?  Was the carrying handle the only thing you didn't like about your first rifle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why didn't you just buy a new flat top upper for $100 instead of taking the loss and buying another rifle?  Was the carrying handle the only thing you didn't like about your first rifle?
View Quote

Are you talking about buying a [b]complete[/b] upper receiver for $100, or just the receiver portion itself without barrel, bolt/carrier, etc., and swapping it out?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]bluecoat[/b],

I feel your pain…

Everything for me from here on out is going to have an M4 upper. I’ve already got my fill of each say for one more A1 to be used on a LW 11.5-inch commando SBR if the AWB sunsets. Even though I prefer iron sights everything else will have the [b]option[/b], seems silly not to.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Compact ACOG mounted on my AR and I prefer it that way.  I have a removable carrying handle and I still like the scope mounted on the carrying handle better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
If you'd used the Leatherwood type scope mount base, which extends forward of the upper by about 2 inches, you wouldn't have had the eye relief problems.

I've got scope/mount assys for both my flat top and carry handle ARs. Using the Leatherwood type base for the carry handle pieces, I get exactly the same scope position and height for both type uyppers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Colt M4 with an ACOG mounted on the carry handle and it's a tack driver.

Dirk
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Very shortly I wont own anymore carry handle uppers...

Well at least until I invest in that A1 w/16" pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Sorry you had the problem, bluecoat, but there's no reason you can't mount a scope on a fixed carry handle if you use a proper scope and a proper mount. I have everything from 4X12's to fixed 3X compact scopes mounted on guns with fixed carry handles and--if you don't mind the height of the scope, and I don't--it's very workable. After all, scopes were mounted on AR's for many years before detachable carry handles came along.

Now, as to preference, that's another thing again and if you're happy with your new AR, that's great but it's not the only way.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top