Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2003 8:49:52 PM EDT
Is it any good for AR mounting?
is there a pressure pad you can use with this? where can i find one? (url)
I've got a Mini-Y comp (loud little bastard), will this hurt the flashlight?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't made for it, however I know some units were using them mounted to M4s over in the sand box due to shortages of true weapons lights from Surefire.  It probably won't last nearly as long as a dedicated weapons light, but with a shock isolated bezel, it should last a good while and still be better than a TACM III or a Scorpion.  Although I remember reading on the lights and lasers forum some months ago where a guy with a Surefire handheld light only had the light work for 1200-1500 rounds in a short time before the light gave out from the shock.  I'm not sure about the parts numbers for the tape switch and bezel, but Surefire or any of their dealers should be able to answer your question.  

Unless your budget is tighter than tight and there is no way you could save the money for a true weaponslight, I would keep the G2 off the weapon.  However, if it is your only choice, it is better, I assume, than the choices other companies have out.  If you plan on a lot of fire with the light mounted or if you are using for home defense or other serious job, don't depend on the G2 or any other handheld lights to work under extreme useage or when you might really need it.  It will probably work, but has a much higher chnce of failure than the dedicated models.

You probably have deduced by all my posts to you that I think the mounting of a handheld light on a weapon is a bad, bad idea.  It can be done, but expect a lot of lamp assemblies to have to be switched out.  Not a good thing to have to do if you are under aattack from a bad guy.  Like I said, the military had to do this recently, but they pay for the assemblies and you have guys backing you up when you have equipment failures.  A luxury you may not have at a crucial moment.

All my replies have been made with the assumption that you are going to use this rifle as a defensive weapon.  If it is not, go for whatever is the best option for you and your budget/needs.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
if you're on a budget:
[url]http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/271/sesent/0,0[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top