Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
Does anyone have any interest in or experience with the new folding Kel-Tec SU-16?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen it, it's a nice little gun that folds in half and holds a spair 30rd mag in the stock. It uses standard ar15/m16 mags and the forend folds down into a bipod like the steyr scout. You should check out the scout too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea of having the forearm piece folding down and turning into a bipod. I wouldn’t get one though. They just look too cheap
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen one of the SU 16s yet, but as far as looking cheap, I bought a P32 1 1/2 years ago as a knock around "when I'm not carrying" carry gun.It looked the same way, but after the KTOG reccomended "fluff and buff", it turned out to be a great little gun. So much so that I bought a P11 (wish they still made the P40s) about 4 months ago for a backpacking gun. I did the same F&B on it, and man, they both shoot great, are light as a feather, and reliable as all get out. They may not have HK stamped on them, but they are good, reliable, CHEAP, protection tools. (Only problem now is that wifey has decided she likes the P11 and wants it , along with a CCL) As I said, I haven't seen one yet, but I bet they're made the same way. If you need a cheap knock-around gun, I would bet they fill the bill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a p-11 as a knockaround gun and came to really like mine...it's not as fun to shoot as my Colt Model 80...but it's a completely different kind of gun...

Talk to the boys over at KTOG.org, they're real helpfun with all the kel-tec's...

I like the company...they designed the p-11 to use s&w clips...and did a great job with the design...

Back when I had my CHL...I would carry my model 80 (not a problem to conceal wearing jeans for me...6'6", 325+ lbs), and when in shorts, use the p-11...

From everything I've heard...their little rifles are much the same...fun to own and shoot...and priced right...  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any interest in or experience with the new folding Kel-Tec SU-16?
View Quote

Yes.  Very much so.  I will buy the first one I come across.

I've had very good service out of Kel-Tec firearms for several years now, especially their carbines.  I have a SUB-2000 that takes Glock mags (I carry Glocks) and my wife has a SUB-9 that uses S&W mags (she carries Smiths) - they are our "trunk carbines."  If we're going shooting, or out of town, or whatever, of course we grab a couple of the ARs to travel with us.  But the folding KT carbines are the ones that stay in our respective cars at ALL times, in case they are needed.  Either one stores - loaded, folded, with extra mags - in an innocuous-looking zippered case that doesn't take up much room.  We have broken them both in well and they are very reliable, even with the extended magazines.

I e-mailed KT as soon as I saw the first ad for the SU-16 - here was the response I got:

Thank you for your email.

Please call our service dept. at 1-800-515-9983 for more information on available services.

The new .223  SU-16 Sport Utility Rifle comes with unique features such as:
-Integrated Picatinny rail
-Forend folds down to form a bipod
-The stock can store spare magazines
-The mechanism and stock can be rotated for added safety or carry under extreme conditions
-Utilizes the proven M-16 breech locking and feeding system
-Accepts AR-15 and M-16 mags.

Suggested retail is $640.00.  We hope to begin shipping the new SU-16 in May of this year.  Please contact your local dealers now for backorder information.

Also new for this year is the P-3AT  .380 cal pistol. It's just a tiny bit larger than our P-32. Expected ship date is also May at this time.  Suggested retail is $305.00 for the "blued" model.

Specifications (omitted because they wouldn't line up in a readable fashion here)

Thank You!
View Quote

I can't wait to get one and try it out.  The fact that it uses AR mags is a HUGE selling point for me.  If it is as handy and reliable as the two pistol-caliber ones we already have, the Mrs. will probably have to have one as well...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Am I the only one that would rather it didn't have an integrated bipod?
I do like that it will take a mag in the stock because it allows you to keep one on the rifle without it being in the mag well.
For a plinker, I'd go with the AR180.
But, the SU would make a good trunk gone.
You could tell everyone you have a Sukhoi in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
heres the website for anybody that doesnt know
[url=www.kel-tec.com]kel-tec[/url]
save a couple hundred more dollars and you can get a bushmaster or something like that
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...save a couple hundred more dollars and you can get a bushmaster or something like that
View Quote

I hope I'm misunderstanding what you said, because it reads a lot like you are saying the only person who would buy a SU-16 is someone who would REALLY rather have a (fill in the blank with your favorite flavor of AR) but just can't afford it.

If that IS what you are saying, I - as an owner of more than a dozen ARs of various makes and calibers who certainly has the money for "more of the same" but is interested in the SU-16 for its OWN merits - would have to disagree.  Even if I only owned 1 AR, the magazine compatibility would make me look hard at the SU-16.

And, FWIW, [b]NONE[/b] of my .223 carbines - not my collapsible-stock pre-ban ARs, not my side-folding pre-ban Bushmaster ARM or Mini-14 - fold into as small, handy, and portable a package as the SU-16 will.  If you don't travel with a carbine at all times, that may mean nothing to you - it appeals to me.

If I misinterpreted what you were saying, accept my humble apology.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The AR is still a better deal.  I measured mine broken down and it is about the same length as the SU-16.  Don't get me wrong, I have a Kel-Tec P-11 and like it.  I just think my M4 carbine is  a better rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
heres the website for anybody that doesnt know
[url=www.kel-tec.com]kel-tec[/url]
save a couple hundred more dollars and you can get a bushmaster or something like that
View Quote

??? Save $60 more dollars and buy a separate lower and upper!! I just don't see how this gun is going to be a hot seller given its price. Same thing goes for that new Beretta, but expounding upon that would be considered thread-hijacking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It's just my opinion, but I bet the "street price" of the SU-16 never even approaches the retail price of $640.

Nonetheless, Kel-Tec is top drawer.  I have one P-32, two P-11s, one P-40, one P-40 conversion, and two Sub-9s.  I carry the P-40 every day, practically everywhere.  One of the Sub-9s always goes on vacation with us in a briefcase.

Kel-Tec gives first rate customer service.

When I spoke with the head gunsmith at the Shot Show, he said that if the AWB went away, to lookout, because George had some ideas to knock our socks off.  Marty wouldn't elaborate, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#13]
There are a few posts of people gettting them at ktog.org.

According to the posts, they are running $450-500 from dealers.

I have half a dozen AR but I think the SU-16 is a cool idea and will certainly try to get one if I can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top