Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 9:18:58 PM EDT
What will happen if you do lubricate too much? Any permanent damage?
I just got done giving all my AR's a thick generous coat of tetra grease on all moving parts.
Thanks alot in advance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:26:43 AM EDT
Way back when I was at Ft Jackson I overlubed my M-16. It irritated my eyes when it burned off, but all was fine after several rounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2003 5:46:41 AM EDT by ks_shooter]
At the range it probably doesn't matter. Any excess lube that is where it shouldn't be will get blow-out or thrown off after a couple of rounds. From a pratical standpoint, and in order to reduce the accumulation of grit and fouling in field use, there are very few areas in a AR that need to be lubed in order to function. All surfaces should get a very light coating to reduce corrosion (apply and then wipe dry with cloth). As far a lubrication goes, these are the major points: bolt carrier rails, cam pin & slot, carrier key (internal), bolt gas rings, forward bolt ring, bolt locking lugs, extractor pivot pin, ejector plunger. A visible coating is all that is needed (it's not like packing wheel bearings). I would recommend using a good CLP (I like FP-10) instead of a heavy grease for most lubrication. Grease is OK for use on the carrier rails and cam pin. Also, in extended field use, an occasional drop of CLP applied into the three vent holes on the side of the bolt carrier every few hundred rounds will help the action stay smooth until you can clean it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:27:26 AM EDT
Lube all you want in a wet environ. In dusty situations not so much. I would not use alot of grease anywhere since it holds grit more than viscous lubes. Just the bolt carrier rails IMO. Lube as you please no worries. Just remember you don't need a ton to protect your rifle but it won't hurt either. Dont put a bunch down the chamber and bore. When shooting the bore requires none!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:09:46 PM EDT
I follow the -10. Joe
Top Top